RMweb

Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

59 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Fellow parishioners.  In order to raise the spirits of our esteemed Chairman and Promoter and President of the WNR, who is at present in a somewhat morose mental state, I propose that we furnish him with his own train, one befitting his high office.  It has come to my attention that the Chairman of a council to the East of the Urals has already commissioned such a conveyance.  I further propose, therefore, that we instruct the Clerk to the Council to communicate with this gentleman, who I understand goes by the name V Putin, to respectfully request a copy of the drawings of his in order that we might emulate it.  I will, of course, require a seconder for this motion.

Jim 

I'm sure a director's saloon will suffice!

1 hour ago, Ian Simpson said:

Seconded as long as it doesn't mean re-gauging the entire WNR! 

Thank you sir.  The train would, of course, be built to WNR gauge and loading gauge.  I would propose further that we dispense with the Gym and associated facilities which would leave the space available for a full size model of the entire WNR.

Jim

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Visitors to “Beyond Dover” will know there is a link to “ScaleTrainsClub”, on page 20, which is a site for modellers who can converse in Cyrillic sort of thingys. However, seekers after the truth and searching for details of vehicles from them parts should be warned that you can pick up Trojans in the process on your computer.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Are folk recalling the Spurs song for Cyril Knowles or the bread advert, or both?

Which of course led to the query about the result of rodent FA cup. Mice won squirrel.

Alan

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Whoops, I notice this photo is taken after preservation, so it’s not the 1950s coat of paint in the picture, like what I remember. (Modern phone box) my excuse it’s hard finding a picture in the right format to download.

The Konigliche Sachsiche StaatsEisenbahn didn’t get the green right either.(state flag)

IMG_0147.png.8e5a2a0d62f0e411b6e58bb90d782333.png

IMG_0148.jpeg.e7931be225cb89d953092d67262dc895.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Usually I can keep up, but these references are antediluvian. How any of you can still be alive ...

Surely at least one of you remembers seeing Saxony green!!!!

Saxony no, Hughie I do remember seeing on the telly though, which is indicative of my ancientness.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Northroader said:

Whoops, I notice this photo is taken after preservation, so it’s not the 1950s coat of paint in the picture, like what I remember. (Modern phone box) my excuse it’s hard finding a picture in the right format to download.

The Konigliche Sachsiche StaatsEisenbahn didn’t get the green right either.(state flag)

IMG_0147.png.8e5a2a0d62f0e411b6e58bb90d782333.png

IMG_0148.jpeg.e7931be225cb89d953092d67262dc895.jpeg

The image shows a wonderful gauge 1 model of a Royal Saxon State Railways class 1TV manufactured by the German company Bockholt Lokomotiven. The price is somewhat eye watering though.

Edited by rocor
Spelling mistake
  • Like 3

On 14/07/2023 at 09:55, Northroader said:

Well, boss, there were these two pilot engines at York and Newcastle in the late fifties:

IMG_0146.jpeg.446bd85dafd6f1a5ae6d35ac816b0598.jpeg

Im afraid depending on the film and the light, they could appear a much lighter shade.

I think that was meant to be LNER Apple Green. I was taken to the York Railway Museum in c1954 though I trust you'll forgive me for not being able to remember the exact shade of green used on the NER locos there. As nobody else will remember either, I suggest you don't beat yourself up about it – just as long as you don't use Brunswick Green!

Richard

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

British penal policy in 1798, when suspected or convicted criminls, including 1,400 of the 1,900 convicts then awaiting transportation to Australia, were confined to floating hulks. 

image.png.69eacb117ef9672b1c57129c9dd60178.png

British immigration policy 2023, when those seeking political asylum in Britain, who have yet to be refused that status on appeal, are confined pending repatriation to a potentially dangerous country of origin or transportation to Rwanda.

image.png.3f5fc3fb1cfef90680b80495ac3e2dfc.png

Plus ça change ....

Surely in modern Btritain there has never been such a time of crass inhumanity, such a time to be ashamed of one's country.

I will certainly never forgive those who have made it so.

Edited by Edwardian
Spelling!
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The clue is in the word “worker”.

Dormitory accommodation for a bunch of people who spend 12hrs/day working, and 8hrs/day sleeping like logs, for a month or two at a stretch, then go ashore is one thing. Being effectively banged-up in the thing for an indeterminate period with bngger-all to do except wait for the decisions of the home office is different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Being effectively banged-up in the thing for an indeterminate period with bngger-all to do except wait for the decisions of the home office is different.

Having briefly gone through the lists of 'goodies' the immigrants have access to, I think they have a lot more 'freedom' to wander than I do?

Plus, the accommodation isn't 'just' a bare bedroom! [They are all en suite.....something my local council says I cannot have, as a pensioner]

They have free access to all sorts of stuff [that I don't! At least, not for free!] such as gyms, 24 hour canteens....etc

They also have access to lots of external visits, guided tours, etc, as well as free transport, at all sorts of hours of the day & night.

All rather PC and gucci, methinks? 

Not that I would deny the immigrants such basics.......far from it!

But we are in a position whereby we all have these bright ideas about policies, etc...but when it comes down to it, there isn't enough manpower available to make anything work as it is supposed to.  Especially when, as a nation, we don't want to pay for it.

Hence the need to find somewhere reasonably priced to accommodate folk while our undermanned immigration system tries to flounder its way through the paperwork.

It's all about human dignity at the end of the day.

Something our 'friends' in Europe seem to be unable to muster, if there's such a rush to get across the channel?

Makes me wonder why we are bothering with this idea of an 'immigration system?'

When we are patently short of the more basic workers throughout our economy?

Life's all very well whilst one has the money to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1