Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

''There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.''

Curiously enough, I was reading the three of those books with Eustace in them earlier in the week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alastairq said:

A54iC0z.jpg

I bet this went from green list to amber list, then on through to red list, quite rapidly? Or should that have been the O-Sheet list?

Frightening picture - looks well over to Green (Starboard)  to me. Just like our present government - poor unloading of weighty issues and no plan for ballasting.

• Funny 4

7 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Frightening picture - looks well over to Green (Starboard)  to me. Just like our present government - poor unloading of weighty issues and no plan for ballasting.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/historic-albert-dock-ship-found-20610483?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR0zqiol_GSoq4mi5MPCQEInpeTz8RXn7Z2l_lK7kLVRRbg-3aae3yFDSys

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Are we back to the "starboard means turn to the right" versus "starboard means move the tiller to the right" debate?

(Starboard is on the right, if looking forwards, but on the left if looking astern.)

I think the safest way about that is issuing helm commands as headings

"Steer 230 degrees"

or

As recommended in "The Art of Coarse Sailing"

"For gods sake turn RIGHT!!!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, alastairq said:

When I were a lad, at sea, we had to learn, and use, quarter points of the compass! 

Mind, by that time, they'd ceased using larboard for tother side!

Oh ok.

Arrr! Steer Sou'west by West Mr Mate!!!

Edited by Hroth
For an essential contraction...

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think the safest way about that is issuing helm commands as headings

"Steer 230 degrees"

or

As recommended in "The Art of Coarse Sailing"

"For gods sake turn RIGHT!!!"

I learnt to sail during my year at Reardon Smith College, Cardiff. We regularly sailed on Cardiff East dock. Filled in now, I believe?

Sailed a Mirror sometimes, built and sailed GP 12 & 14 too. Most fun to be had when using one of three gigs the college had, under sail. Gaff rigged. Needed all 8 hands leaning out over the side when I was coxing! Could get up a

fair old lick with a stiff breeze. Got a telling off for careering down the dock with the leeward gunnel under water. Those gigs must have weighed a ton or more. Often rowed with eight.  If  taking a gig down to the dock from college, council used to rock up with a low loader. Often with an old Bedford as prime mover. Great fun riding down to the docks sat in the boat. For elfin safety we wore life jackets during the journey. Cardiff still had trolley buses back then too.

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Are we back to the "starboard means turn to the right" versus "starboard means move the tiller to the right" debate?

(Starboard is on the right, if looking forwards, but on the left if looking astern.)

Not on my boats it's not.
Starboard is on the right looking forwards, and has been for over a millenium.
Probably derives from before in-line rudders reached Europe, when steering oars (or steering 'boards' ) where usually positioned so a right-handed person could steer looking forwards.

I haven't been afloat under sail for about ten years now (arthritis and the North Sea not going well together), I must find a way of sailing again soon.

Edit - just seen the previous post. Dragging an anchor is always a dangerous thing to happen.

Edited by drmditch

• RMweb Gold

"Great British Railways".

Why do I get the feeling that might not live up to its name?

(Except geographically of course. Well, as long as Scotland stays in the Union.)

Edited by Ian Simpson
Inability to type four short sentences without a typo.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ian Simpson said:

(Except geographically of course. (Well, as long as Scotland stays in the Union.)

I think that there are no proposals to physically untie the largest island in the archipelago, even the divisions within the nationalist movement aren’t that big...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good point. I must admit I was thinking about the name of the rail set-up becoming redundant rather than the island. Not that that's in my top ten concerns about the proposal.

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I think that there are no proposals to physically untie the largest island in the archipelago, even the divisions within the nationalist movement aren’t that big...

I understand that Scotland north and west of the Great Glen is geologically Canadian. Gives one ideas...

If an independent Scotland can't re-accession to the EU (thereby preventing a federation with Ireland, which would be my alternative proposal) becoming a Canadian province might be a way forward.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 4

Nomenclature. Do you remember how, in the Blair era, there was a tendency to name and rename things ''The People's ....'', somehow making things fairer, more accessible and more democratic simply by re-branding?  I waited eagerly, but was ultimately disappointed, for Her Majesty's Courts & Tribunal Service to be renamed the People's Court, but it seemed that the Blair administration had just enough wit to avoid that. Presumably some civil servant recalled Roland Freisler*.

Now, we are re-living Our Finest Hour of Our Island Story, making bad trade deals because now, with our sovereignty restored, we can, and preserving National Treasures such as controversial statues and the way football is organised, while refusing to be distracted by peripheral concerns, such as enquiries into government conduct and performance and the delivery of long-promised social care reforms. Everything must be about the projection of the power we do not have, so 'Great' and 'Global' must be the order of the day. Have not our Gunboats already faced down the Invidious Frogs? We'd revive the term Pax Britannica if we thought we could get away with it.

* Though apparently there is a US TV show call People's Court. Priceless. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Nomenclature. Do you remember how, in the Blair era, there was a tendency to name and rename things ''The People's ....'', somehow making things fairer, more accessible and more democratic simply by re-branding?  I waited eagerly, but was ultimately disappointed, for Her Majesty's Courts & Tribunal Service to be renamed the People's Court, but it seemed that the Blair administration had just enough wit to avoid that. Presumably some civil servant recalled Roland Freisler*.

Now, we are re-living Our Finest Hour of Our Island Story, making bad trade deals because now, with our sovereignty restored, we can, and preserving National Treasures such as controversial statues and the way football is organised, while refusing to be distracted by peripheral concerns, such as enquiries into government conduct and performance and the delivery of long-promised social care reforms. Everything must be about the projection of the power we do not have, so 'Great' and 'Global' must be the order of the day. Have not our Gunboats already faced down the Invidious Frogs? We'd revive the term Pax Britannica if we thought we could get away with it.

Blair's most brilliant application of this was "she was the People's Princess". Somehow "the Global Princess" wouldn't have had the same ring to it - sounds like a cruise ship.

• Funny 9

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Have not our Gunboats already faced down the Invidious Frogs?

Oh how I long for the return of he days when French people referred to us brits [English, unless wearing kilts]... as 'Les Rosbifs?'

On the topic of Scotland leaving the Union? Their greatest, probably most common ally [historically] has been the French. [From whom they sought military aid now & then?]

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

becoming a Canadian province might be a way forward.

Isn't it the other way round: Canada is several provinces of Scotland, one of them even named accordingly?

I do actually think that Canada and Scotland would get on quite well together. Not sure why, but they do seem fitted. Maybe its just subconscious bias, born of plaid lumberjack shirts (cue Michael Palin in singing mode).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, alastairq said:

On the topic of Scotland leaving the Union? Their greatest, probably most common ally [historically] has been the French. [From whom they sought military aid now & then?]

I think that was always a bit of a one-way relationship - France was only interested in Scotland when it could be used to annoy England. Look how they turned Mary Stuart off when she was of no further use.

But you've reminded me of option three: a pan-Scandinavian union. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1