Sentinel Diesel Shunters - a 'standard' factory livery?

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I though that it would best to post this question here due to the gathered expertise on this sub-forum.

Were the Sentinel diesel shunters, of the type manufactured by Hornby, ever supplied in some form of standardised factory finish as with some other locomotive manufacturers?  If they were, can anyone tell me what this livery was?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Regards,

Alex.

18 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi James,

Thanks for that.  Would that be the same colour scheme as used on the Hornby NCB version?

Regards,

Alex.

I think that's right. The lining style (and the wasp stripe style) is quite consistent, but I'm not sure that blue was the standard colour for Sentinels (or that there was such a thing) and this was something the customer could specify. They did for steam locos however - a mid-green lined orange/black/orange, a bit like faded GWR...).

Most industrial suppliers had a standard lining style and varied the colour according to what the customer asked for.

Adam

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for posting that image, it's truly helpful.  I don't know why, but the brochure artwork is also a style that I like a lot too.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the help and contributions.

As transfers are available to provide both the stripes and the 'Sentinel' badge on the sides, I am now looking to repaint one of my pair into the green livery described in the brochure.  This document describes the colour as "mid-Brunswick green"; is anyone aware of a readily available colour that would be a good match, or is it a case of mixing paint while hoping for a reasonable approximation?

Current thoughts regarding colour are:

1. Humbrol Brunswick green; or

2. the above colour mixed 50/50 with Humbrol Emerald green; or

3. Humbrol BR/GWR green;

4. seeking somethingfrom the Halfords rattle-can range that's a little lighter than the Humbrol green.

Again, many thanks for any help or advice offered.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Hi everyone,

As transfers are available to provide both the stripes and the 'Sentinel' badge on the sides, I am now looking to repaint one of my pair into the green livery described in the brochure.  This document describes the colour as "mid-Brunswick green"; is anyone aware of a readily available colour that would be a good match, or is it a case of mixing paint while hoping for a reasonable approximation?

3. Humbrol BR/GWR green;

4. seeking somethingfrom the Halfords rattle-can range that's a little lighter than the Humbrol green.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

I have some thoughts on colour, nothing scientific, and people's perception of colour varies but here's my take on it.

I would say Humbrol Brunswick Green or BR/GWR green would be too dark on a small shunter.  A bespoke mix as you suggest under (2) might be the way forward, but I would tend towards 75% Brunswick & 25% Emerald green, then adjust it to suit.

I have attached a photo of a preserved Sentinel that's been repainted into 'factory' livery.

https://www.andrewbriddonlocos.co.uk/locos/sentinel/108-sentinel-48-ton-0-6-0dh-tom.html

As another suggestion, while this is not a Halford's list, this https://www.tradecarpaints.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page_4 gives the BS381C colours for various greens.  Middle Brunswick Green is listed as BS381C226, but to my eyes, that looks too dark ( and indistinguishable from 227 Deep Brunswick Green).

At the end of the day it's your model and your choice, but I hope these suggestions are useful.  Halfords used to be able to mix specific colours to a sample, I'm not sure whether they still do.

Hope this helps

Moxy

5 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi everyone,

3. Humbrol BR/GWR green;

Regards,

Alex.

I wouldn't worry too much about it and just go with whatever you think looks best. Someone may tell you one is wrong but how do they know? You could look at a dozen photos and the shade would look different in all of them. Lighting, weathering and ageing of the paint all have an effect and that's even before you take into consideration the emulsions on the slides or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 2