Abellio Greater Anglia Livery - Paint

87023Velocity

Good evening everyone.

I have a question which hopefully someone may know the answer to?

What are the paint shades or RAL codes for the Abellio Greater Anglia white/grey livery?

I have had a good look through Google and Rmweb but could not find any information.

Thanks 

Simon

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Good evening everyone.

What are the paint shades or RAL codes for the Abellio Greater Anglia white/grey livery?

I have had a good look through Google and Rmweb but could not find any information.

Thanks 

Simon

hi,

I will try and find out the info you want as I got access to those who may know, but I’m on leave for two weeks at the mo

• Thanks 2

On 08/11/2020 at 21:10, 87023Velocity said:

Good evening everyone.

Thanks 

Simon

give me a nudge if I don’t get back to you in case I forget about asking, the old grey matter isn’t what it was

• Thanks 1

Have you tried asking Abellio Greater Anglia customer services?  You will have to explain why you want the paint references (commercial confidentiality) but once they know it is for your hobby they could be most forthcoming.  I have always found companies are usually very helpful and have got much information that way although not, sadly, for the latest liveries.  As an aside, you will probably find that the references are Pantone colours.

If you should be unsuccessful the last resort is to go to a good car accessories shop with a clear photograph and get the nearest paint available.  Provided you paint all your vehicles with the same colour they will look just fine.  Anyway, paint tends to fade over the years and the fresh colour can be very different to the faded version.  The red doors on Greater Anglia units looked more pink than red after a while!

See the 156 on my layout:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74024-cromer-modern-image-o-gauge/page/2/

Chris Turnbull 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Have you tried asking Abellio Greater Anglia customer services?  You will have to explain why you want the paint references (commercial confidentiality) but once they know it is for your hobby they could be most forthcoming.  I have always found companies are usually very helpful and have got much information that way although not, sadly, for the latest liveries.  As an aside, you will probably find that the references are Pantone colours.

If you should be unsuccessful the last resort is to go to a good car accessories shop with a clear photograph and get the nearest paint available.  Provided you paint all your vehicles with the same colour they will look just fine.  Anyway, paint tends to fade over the years and the fresh colour can be very different to the faded version.  The red doors on Greater Anglia units looked more pink than red after a while!

See the 156 on my layout:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74024-cromer-modern-image-o-gauge/page/2/

Chris Turnbull 

customer services wouldn’t have a clue to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Managed to obtain some information regards the paint details, this is for a class 90. The grey on the skirt, cab doors and behind the cab door  handrails is RAL 7031, the grey band along the body side/grill area and roof is RAL 7016. The overall white is RAL 9003. 

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

Hi Simon,

That is most excellent, thank you! I had dug Google to pieces but not found anything. Nice one.

90008 Stratford

I've just been looking at photos, the grey band along the bottom of the body looks lighter than the doors, but I can't tell if the skirt is this colour or the same as the doors. Too many greys! It's noticeable on the DVTs too where the grey door is near the grey strip

IMG_20190825_113746.jpg.a2613983b558386a10216ddccf045dea.jpg

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Hi Simon,

That is most excellent, thank you! I had dug Google to pieces but not found anything. Nice one.

90008 Stratford

I've just been looking at photos, the grey band along the bottom of the body looks lighter than the doors, but I can't tell if the skirt is this colour or the same as the doors. Too many greys! It's noticeable on the DVTs too where the grey door is near the grey strip

IMG_20190825_113746.jpg.a2613983b558386a10216ddccf045dea.jpg

Jo

Hi Jo,

Yes that is still an unknown, looking at that picture, would flint grey be suitable? Difficult to tell with as you say too many greys.

Simon

• 3 months later...

Very useful information, thanks, and I note that the exact RAL colours can be ordered pre thinned from Zero Paints.  

But, does anyone know the RAL paint code for the red doors?  I have 10 MK3's, a 156 and a 321 to repaint. Nothing appearing on a google search.

I wouldn't worry too much about the RAL colour as the red tends to weather to pink after a while. I was about to paint my 156 (see link in my earlier post) when the units received a refresh and the colour changed from pink to red.  This was fortunate as the pink was a difficult match but the red was exactly the same shade as a tin of Humbrol paint I had lying around, or so it seemed to me.

Chris Turnbull