Llamberg Railway

Andymsa

8 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Andy,

have you levelled the helix where the turnout leaves it?  How have you done the transition from gradient to flat to helix again assuming that they turnout is on the level?

Iain,

no the transition where the turnouts are mid level have not been levelled out. The points are on a gradient. In total there are 4 helix’s on the layout and 3 of them have points at mid height on the helix and non of them have given any issues.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Iain,

no the transition where the turnouts are mid level have not been levelled out. The points are on a gradient. In total there are 4 helix’s on the layout and 3 of them have points at mid height on the helix and non of them have given any issues.

That should be fine if the points are on the constant gradient. Points on vertical curves aren't a good idea, as Iain was implying.

• RMweb Gold

It’s a curve that is at 90 degrees to a horizontal one.

;-)

Now trying to be a little more helpful: a horizontal curve is as shown on a map or plan, a vertical curve is going over the top of a hill.

Paul.

• Agree 1

Work has now started to realign a single line track that runs under another new station yet to be built. I removed the tunnel section and overheads and the track and baseboard is now removed but still shows in the photo.

A50AAA41-9AD2-484E-B93F-A05B691D2720.jpeg

975E3B66-AA39-4AC2-9FAD-D5438B215E13.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Robin,

There is a bit of scenery completed, and it is magnificent - very reminiscent of a Bavarian forest :)

Great, but not the answer to the question (even assuming you are Jen Psaki to Joe Biden Iain).

2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Do you ever think about a time when track laying will be finished and all you will have left to do is finish the scenery? Or will you decide to expand the building again so you can carry on laying track?

in answer to the question I don’t think about how much is yet to be done. These current works are a result of removing a duck under section so actual progress has been stalled as such, but now the base boards are finished work will progress at a much faster rate. I tend to jump from types of work and once I got the main base board back in then a little scenic work will take place along the back edge which is against a wall and will be much easier to do without working over track in front. Tree planting is a summer job less chance of rain, this is because I have loads of trays of trees laid out in the back garden ready to place and my assistant (wife) brings them to me as I’m balancing on the layout normally. 

DB4488B5-FEF2-4B36-AC3C-FC9688614605.jpeg

this is just some of the trees which is about a third of which I got in other boxes.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

in answer to the question I don’t think about how much is yet to be done. These current works are a result of removing a duck under section so actual progress has been stalled as such, but now the base boards are finished work will progress at a much faster rate. I tend to jump from types of work and once I got the main base board back in then a little scenic work will take place along the back edge which is against a wall and will be much easier to do without working over track in front. Tree planting is a summer job less chance of rain, this is because I have loads of trays of trees laid out in the back garden ready to place and my assistant (wife) brings them to me as I’m balancing on the layout normally. 

DB4488B5-FEF2-4B36-AC3C-FC9688614605.jpeg

this is just some of the trees which is about a third of which I got in other boxes.

Will you hang lights on them at Christmas?

This looks as if you are going for mostly open landscape with perhaps a few set piece buildings?

And I guess you have abandoned the idea of the American style section.

1 minute ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Will you hang lights on them at Christmas?

This looks as if you are going for mostly open landscape with perhaps a few set piece buildings?

And I guess you have abandoned the idea of the American style section.

The landscape will be a mix of open landscape and a town section and various other things yet to be decided on. No, I have not made a final decision of the American style section yet, but it’s looking like I won’t be doing it as I’m thinking it will over power things and detract from the open plan nature of the layout. But I have not given up on a large yard effect completely as in time I’m going to link the layout building to my garage and build a big yard in the garage, but that’s for the future.  Maybe I should give the size of things the room the layout is in is a L shape 32 x 15 feet in one part of the L then 33 x 10 feet in the other part of the L.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Do you ever think about a time when track laying will be finished and all you will have left to do is finish the scenery? Or will you decide to expand the building again so you can carry on laying track?

one for robin, a photo of what I call the western end and the trees so far planted. There are more to plant and I got a small alteration to do, but under the cable car on the right side there is a helix. I got to rebuild this to run the other way, operationally it will be better, this has been caused by the works at the other end. Hidden in those trees are 3 inspection points which are removed for maintenance. I got a bike stand and have modified it so two arms reach over the layout and then all I do is lift up the inspection cover and slide it onto the arms of the bike stand. I can’t take credit for this idea as I got it off you tube. Sorry it’s upside down I will correct it later

85D8DCA9-4D2C-4F0D-80A4-ACF3667AF6B8.jpeg

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

The treescape looks fantastic. Did something specific inspire you or is it all out of your imagination Andy

Thanks

pure imagination and what looks right

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1

Track has now been laid, wired and tested. This has made a dramatic difference and has really opened up this area. Work will now start on the station above. This will be actual progress as work until now has been all about removing the duck under section.

E227C232-2922-4A57-B936-659912D0DDA2.jpeg.7c26a8dece7fdf1d3742b93ee064185d.jpeg74CA372F-4D21-4210-A79E-46C1211942C9.jpeg.2adc605cda56cb3d36ffb0de27fa5fe7.jpeg9654A808-F943-48C2-A87F-7F9E27C0EB48.jpeg.8a7c701374d47c35f1a496f5274af228.jpeg

• Like 2

The approach to the commuter station has been widened, to accommodate two or three sidings for commuter trains. This is the area to the right in the second photo. I have screwed back down the base board on the left with the turntable on it. Whilst I had the left base board out I took the opportunity to cut it back and open things up a bit. Where the turn table is in the photo Is, is not it’s final home. I have had trouble where to place it but I think I got a location now but it involves a fair bit of work.

The open area on the right where the baseboard supports are is where the town will be located.

C272EC72-AF3C-4DF8-A6FA-624B7629A084.jpeg

14C6DA1F-0877-4439-8B82-186E8FF4696A.jpeg

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

I have found a new home for the turntable now. It’s taken awhile, the first photo shows what the area was like before. 

D130C60D-A54F-401C-B170-5F031E9EE34E.jpeg.c5f6a20c76f6d1f77739215d542fec38.jpeg

the problem faced was the track out of the loco shed on the left after it clears the pointwork is on a slight gradient the height drop is 4 cm. I thought if I removed the pointwork out side the shed that the turntable can sit in there place.

8CC68611-32D2-4638-8284-79E7C2B9DDF0.jpeg.bea4f979d22d7c01b18844b1828f3dfa.jpeg

this photo shows what I am proposing, it looks more natural now as all the other ideas I had located the turntable further away which made the depot quite stretched out. I can now also add some carriage sidings further towards the station which is located out of sight at the top of the photo. Work will now begin prepping the base boards.

i know the wall is two tone, the lighter colour needs to be whethered . The wall could of been damaged because it sits on the gradient which was another factor.

i have also got a special catenary section that will be placed over the turntable, it looks very challenging to build and is quite impressive. 

the points on the main line have been removed also, although some may be reinstated and the alignment slightly changed.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

Andy

The motors for these are an easy replacement and can be bought from Roco/Fleishmann - IIRC I paid €26 for a new one.

there are also people that sell cordless upgrades for them, but at a price 

if you Google the model number you should find several YouTube videos about the motors and the issues the have

• Informative/Useful 1

I am looking at various options for the turntable, I was going to take the opportunity of installing a indexing system of control. But I’m quite disappointed at the options available as they don’t seem to meet what I am looking for, Dcc and automation. 

Well after a comprehensive search I have only found one company that can supply what I am looking for ie connection to automation software and can be dcc controlled. There is certainly a gap in the market here, most 3 third party turntable retro grade indexing systems are lacking in dcc control let alone automation. So I’m taking a three pronged attack on the problem

1. ordered a new motor for the existing TT

2. ordered a new TT

3. to further investigate the one company’s products that do what I want, the downside here it can turn out quite expensive to implement this.

but at least I can use my existing TT to make up the new base boards so it won’t impinge to much on progress.