I built a Grasmaster-alike

Followed this handy guide on Ztrains http://www.ztrains.c...rassinator.html

And the end result was this:

post-6752-127516891077.jpg

A little more 'rustic' than the Ztrains version. The duct tape is due to the fact the pipe caps I bought were the same size as the pipe, and thus didn't fit. Duct tape fixes everything...

BOM:

post-6752-127516968407.png

Link to the ion generator at ebay.

Took a couple of hours to knock together, mainly due to the fact I'd mis-wired the power connector. But some poking about with a multimeter located the problem. I duly cut the mounting brackets off the ion generator, thinking it had to be oriented a certain way within the tube. It doesn't. For some reason I got it in my head it had to be a certain way round, but based on schematics I found of other ion generators, I can't see that it would need to be. It's just plopped in the bottom!

It works quite well. One promising thing is that I put a quantity of static grass into the unit, and laid some down on a piece of scrap card. Hardly any ended up not stuck to the glue, and very little ended up liberating itself from said glue when I'd finished, so I had no surplus to pick up. Really rather pleased with it!

My next plan it to pick up a small funnel, and mod it onto the lid of another pot, so I can have a large applicator, and a smaller one for spot jobs.

Hi David.

That looks better than my fly-swatter conversion.

Is that any safer in use than the insect electrocuter variety, which delivers a hell of a punch if you are not very careful - I speak from experience!

I didn't find it worked as well as |I expected but maybe I wasn't using long enough "grass".

Cheers

Chris

Well, when I was 'debugging' it, I was poking the multimeter around random places and when I got it going, got quite the arc off it. I didn't look at the multimeter at the time mind. When I used it, I just made sure to earth it before removing the lid, which does produce a spark. So far, I've not felt anything though.

I did consider the turbo-teastrainer method, but it worried me a little - this keeps your hands further away from the business end of the unit, so I think there's less chance of making your hair stand on end!

• RMweb Premium

I have built the budget 'fly swat' type' at the grand cost of £5-25 , I did not mess with the internal circuits as

the one I have does not match any photo's of others that have been made .

So far in testing it seems to give acceptable results , depending on surface preparation .

I have been testing on plain card , with no underbase the results look poor , but on a surface of brown scatter it improves no end .

I PVA'd an area and then powdered it with some old brownish scatter , let this dry out and then re-applied the PVA and used the grass , some photo's attached below .

I also did a long narrow strip to see how far from the earth pin it was possible to go before the static effect was lost , went 10''s with no loss of standing up .

These were all done with the Noch grass , I need to get some of the Silfor longer stuff to see if it will work with this applicator .

Please feel free to comment .

Photos below ,

No 1 . The machine .

No 2 . Plain white card test .

No 3 . On a brown base .

No 4 . With a footpath . Thanks for the idea Darren . wink.gif

No 5 . Different season grass .

post-6765-127584166186_thumb.jpg

post-6765-127584167637_thumb.jpg

post-6765-127584169974_thumb.jpg

post-6765-12758417307_thumb.jpg

post-6765-127584175524_thumb.jpg