Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

That little brass cock is not a trip cock or a water valve its to admit air to the top side of the vaccum cylinder so releasing the tender the tender brake. Yes sandbox lids but not all tenders had sandboxes.  If they did I cannot for the life of me remember where the handle to work the tender sanders was. We often kept the bucket  in that area between the tender side and the handbrake standard, with a few inch's of water in it and the handbrush was then damp for sweeping the footplate.  Nearest brush I have found was a small brush sold as a "dairy brush". Water for washing the footplate come from the "pep" pipe which is that rubber hose often seen dangling over the side on Western engines. It worked off the RH live steam injector with the control valve in the area of the firemans seat, boy could it shoot out a lot of b---- hot water!  All this engine prep I'm getting a sweat on, time for tea.  And do not forget to stow the fireirons properly with the loop end of the iron over the upright. Not sitting in the bottom of the uprights vee. Why? think about stopping very suddenly or being hit hard by moving wagons in a yard. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

Thanks, I do like to hear first hand knowledge from people who have done the job, whatever the job was.

The fire iron position is the sort of common sense born of near misses, they'd make wonderful javelins even at 20mph. Something we had to be aware of loading kit onto lorries.

That's how I learned things like starting a car or a donkey engine on the handle, keep your thumb over the top with your fingers, so if it kicks back, you don't get a dislocated thumb. Keep your left hand atop the radiator so you can push yourself backwards in a hurry. That avoids a broken shin from the flailing handle too!

I might just have to find a bucket for the tender now!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Actually, I don't, they're generally leftovers from detailing kits for other things.

There's got to be someone making such things.

Bachmann 44-524 Fire Buckets packs of 10 are good. Just need to scrape out the "sand" a bit.

• Informative/Useful 1

Lots of interesting details to be seen in the photo of the 43xx tender posted earlier by @John Besley, I will be adding as much as my fingers and sanity will allow.

3500g-front-interior.jpg.3ea92e7af5087b22b38e3a171222290c.jpg

The Bachmann tender with the broken parts removed and a lost wax standard from the junk box fitted. The sand box filler is present, but not the brackets for the plank or hasps on the tool boxes.

IMG_20220826_133337.jpg.6054bd37ef6794653b69cb42bd967d7e.jpg

A photo of a very rough Airfix Dean Goods tender, which despite its age has the injector levers and the toolbox locks represented.

IMG_20220826_133315.jpg.703b55ea9f12500414f28a8954fbc5a2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looking good Mr Wolf, Dont forget the two uprights for the storm sheet springs to atatch to. When you make the fireirons the pricker has a triangular handle, the chisel bar and clinker shovel had circular handles. I believe it was so the fireman knew what he was picking up at night or in dark engine sheds.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Thanks, I'm trying to fit as much detail as I can and that's some very useful information. It would make sense to identify the fire irons from the handle end anyway as they will be heaped together and on some locos (IIRC?) they are stored in a tunnel forward of the cab.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of fire irons?

Am I right in thinking that the storm sheet supports are fitted in the front corners of the coal space between the back of the toolboxes and the tank vents?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thinking about it, if I knew the length of the fire irons and the dimensions of the heads I can make my own.

I've found that 247 Developments do etched brass number plates for 2291.

Edited by MrWolf
Forgot a bit!
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Kernow model rail centre sell a fire iron etch very fine and blackened  : bottom of page.   

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.fcom/c/1101/Steam-Locomotives

but all the handles are round but perhaps could be shaped.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it was packaged with the Beattie well tank, O2 and the 1361 , I haven’t used mine from the 1361 and assumed they were etched.

Edited by Limpley Stoker