Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Now that would have been fun!

My sister asked if I had won over the memsahib with my Leslie Phillips charm.

She said No, she basically threw me a stick...

Woof.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 7

Now for something quick and curvaceous in deep red..

Not quite.

SPL5489664_008.jpg.b66f98fff126e8fa6b526a9ce1b7eb67.jpg

I meant this.

IMG_20221108_203546.jpg.e44c8f4ccc1c65b6c8f279cb509f34f0.jpg

New motor, pickups and valve gear  straightened, body mounts repaired, much cleaning and oiling. Another one saved from landfill.

This one doesn't like my barrow crossings, though it does have enough momentum to crash over them without stalling.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

New motor, pickups and valve gear  straightened, body mounts repaired, much cleaning and oiling. Another one saved from landfill.

Good work,  plus your barrow crossings are now naturally distressed. Does this one come with a tender?

Edited by longchap
  • Like 3

Not to me it hasn't. The actual owner of the locos has both tenders. They're both a bit overscale in the wheels department even to run on my code 100 track, yet the Tri-ang Dean Single which has its roots back in 1961 isn't the least bothered and I thought that would be much more track sensitive.

Not sure how old the Tri-ang green DMU is either and that's okay. It's also useful if you want to slice some bacon.

Anyway, the 2MT and the Coronation will be going back to a loft based eight track roundy roundy on Saturday where they live with a couple of hundred other locos of varying age and pedigree. 

I think that he has a few more need fixing, which is something of a concern.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

It may be a crude toy by the standards of today, but it's still a handsome beast and must have wowed on the first time round the train set fifty odd years ago.

IMG_20221108_222854.jpg.de005f8a0f0c7592f5e3ccc323b3d319.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gypsy said:

I do like those LMS streamliners. I know it was essentialy useless but they didn't half look good.

At the speed of the Coronation Scot, with carriages with a degree of streamlining - farings between the bogies to decrease turbulence - the wind tunnel tests carried out at the National Physical Laboratory and subsequently at Derby did enable the shape of the streamlining to be optimised to reduce air resistance - that the shape was near-optimal can be seen by comparison with the BR 05 streamliners, which were developed through similar wind tunnel testing. But yes, for the ordinary express passenger traffic of the WCML, it made little difference. The same can be said of the LNER A4s, the exceptional speediness of which was down to the internal streamlining of the steam circuit, not the external shape. I suppose that, unlike the Princess Coronations, there was insufficient advantage to de-streamlining the A4s to make doing so worth-while, so shed staff had to struggle on with the inconvenience.*

*That's my heretical statement for the day done, and it's not yet 9:30!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

I do like those LMS streamliners. I know it was essentialy useless but they didn't half look good.

Probably my favourite of the British streamliners, the paint job also helps with the shape and makes it look like it's doing 100mph even when standing still, a stroke of genius and the fact that the entire train was designed to match puts it on a par with the kind of locos being built in America and Germany at the time.

Given that the flying banana was probably the best looking British attempt at a railcar, it's almost a shame that the GWR didn't take streamlined locos more seriously.

Maybe they were looking further ahead and had better things to spend their money on than disguising an essentially Victorian machine with aircraft styling?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2022 at 17:12, Jules said:

I always wanted one of those 2mt when I was a kid, never did get one.  I know the dimensions are all wrong, but I might have to treat myself one day.  I have an ambition (requires space) to build a large 1970s style layout with all the stock I wanted as a kid :)

If your interested I have one that is never going to be rebuilt or anything else, brought is way back in around 1983 and lived in a cardboard box ever since, just got it out and it still runs first time in around 39 years...

What do I want for it …? no idea.. 

20221109_220435.jpg.757396a09e8b549afa6d1138d273c494.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Technical question for those who know lots more about the GWR.

I've seen a lot of models of buffer stops on GWR layouts with a red oil lamp perched on the top.

Was this only at particular locations, eg a headshunt on a loop, main lines only or all buffer stops and branch lines tended not to bother?

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised how slowly it ran, bit noisy and smells of electric motors, all rather of its time, shame Hornby never fitted it with a full set of valve gear as the Combination Lever and Union Link are missing like so many of their models, HD got it right years before

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

If your interested I have one that is never going to be rebuilt or anything else, brought is way back in around 1983 and lived in a cardboard box ever since, just got it out and it still runs first time in around 39 years...

What do I want for it …? no idea.. 

20221109_220435.jpg.757396a09e8b549afa6d1138d273c494.jpg

Why not build a driving trolley to go behind it and say it's the Works Manager's toy?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s a really convincing goods shed, open for business after breakfast tea .I still haven’t finished mine - awaiting a wheel for the crane.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Friendly/supportive 5

53 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That’s a really convincing goods shed, open for business after breakfast tea .I still haven’t finished mine - awaiting a wheel for the crane.

I remember the crane wheel needed to be a curved spoke job about 10mm diameter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2022 at 19:03, MrWolf said:

The crossing house is beginning to look like someone lives in it. Thanks to @KNP for the tip about the flowers. 

IMG_20221104_185601.jpg.410fb15cf2807287ece40744d05e0e36.jpg

IMG_20221104_190526.jpg.8d2d7a489c8fb6d82b43623a4170c373.jpg

I love the attention to detail: the gutters & drains; lead flashing; paving; shrubbery; chimney pots - but best of all is the finishing touch of the telegraph wire bracket and insulator. Brilliant!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

I love the attention to detail: the gutters & drains; lead flashing; paving; shrubbery; chimney pots - but best of all is the finishing touch of the telegraph wire bracket and insulator. Brilliant!

. . . and the missing gate! Great true to life, lateral thinking modelling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1