Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I left it overnight and I've only used it in small areas, like I do with cellulose stopper (The motor trade call it fine filler nowadays.) Good for little gaps and pits. I think that if I had a larger area to deal with I would probably resort to car filler, although that can be horrible to work with on small items like models.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I left it overnight and I've only used it in small areas, like I do with cellulose stopper (The motor trade call it fine filler nowadays.) Good for little gaps and pits. I think that if I had a larger area to deal with I would probably resort to car filler, although that can be horrible to work with on small items like models.

I might struggle due to being too impatient to wait for it to harden 😆

I tend use Holts Cataloy knifing putty but like car body filler it can be challenging to work with

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Well that got messy in a hurry...

IMG_20221127_213629.jpg.5003f004a9f57e9eb02ef1c4c3299322.jpg

Motor removed, cast rear sandboxes sawn off chassis block, plastic outside axle boxes removed leaving axle guards on place.

Body completely dismantled, all of the fittings pull out with care.

Cab sides cut off level with tanks / bunker and put aside. Splasher mounted toolboxes removed along with sandbox lids from footplate. Smokebox dart removed.

And finally, the topfeed has been removed, careful to trim around the boiler band.

Further destruction will be removal of the moulded coal and the cab doors. The doors will come off last as the body is seriously weakened once they come off. To allow for this, I've already chain drilled across the bottom of both doors.

From here on begins the rebuild.

With any luck.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

31 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I just said blow the bloody doors off!

Are you following this conversion ?

BB0E7E0F-2DB2-463C-8148-3ABEBEFBADB4.png

No, I hadn't seen it and wouldn't know where to look for it to be honest.

The tanks look like they've been cut and shut too. I'm aware that some of the earlier locos had a shorter wheelbase and went through many modifications over the years.

I'm just working from photos in A pictorial record of Great Western engines by J H Russell and working out how to make the alterations as I go along.

It would be interesting to see how someone else has managed to make the conversion.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Well that got messy in a hurry...

IMG_20221127_213629.jpg.5003f004a9f57e9eb02ef1c4c3299322.jpg

Motor removed, cast rear sandboxes sawn off chassis block, plastic outside axle boxes removed leaving axle guards on place.

Body completely dismantled, all of the fittings pull out with care.

Cab sides cut off level with tanks / bunker and put aside. Splasher mounted toolboxes removed along with sandbox lids from footplate. Smokebox dart removed.

And finally, the topfeed has been removed, careful to trim around the boiler band.

Further destruction will be removal of the moulded coal and the cab doors. The doors will come off last as the body is seriously weakened once they come off. To allow for this, I've already chain drilled across the bottom of both doors.

From here on begins the rebuild.

With any luck.

That's rapid progress and all looking good, my own 517, using a 3D printed body has still taken most of 2022!  Although there isn't much left of the original 3D print thanks to my clumsiness and its brittleness!

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've even got a Mainline Pannier which not only has a straight chassis, all of the wheels have retained their quartering.

That said, the chassis is an amalgamation of three wrecks...

Mine's 100% original!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Mine's 100% original!

There has to be at least one still in original working order! 

I took mine apart to investigate the quartering jam up and one side of the chassis block crumbled into four pieces.

It's up and running now, so I better take a look at the bodywork improvement needed.

I wish that banner advert would stop blocking the page and darkening it.

I've tried four or five times to take up the offer, but by the time you have three tabs up and the adverts keep coming, the link from basket to checkout crashes every time and I still can't get anything other than error 500 every time I click on layout topics, no matter what I do, even on other devices.

• Friendly/supportive 8

Today has been a busy day of struggle heave growl snarl and swear and that's just Miss R applying for jobs.

But whilst cleaning down the bench of bodge at lunchtime I picked up some little bits of plastic strip, which rather than going into the bin, ended up as this, inspired by the PW hut at Bledlow on the Princes Risborough line 

IMG_20221128_154637.jpg.be26fa6cd7a2177d4a42569bb3bb0707.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Today has been a busy day of struggle heave growl snarl and swear and that's just Miss R applying for jobs.

I've been doing the same but with the occasional FFS! thrown in. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, brumtb said:

That's rapid progress and all looking good, my own 517, using a 3D printed body has still taken most of 2022!  Although there isn't much left of the original 3D print thanks to my clumsiness and its brittleness!

Tony

Thank you for your encouragement. I can empathise with you on the printed body. There were a lot of nervous moments when building number 23, especially as there are only two bodies in existence and neither were identical internally due to the chassis being used.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

24 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I've been doing the same but with the occasional FFS! thrown in. 

Best of luck, both Miss R and Tim.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I've never been shy about asking dumb questions...

What is it?

A large right angle square, presumably for checking that items connected with the track were at 90 degrees. I've seen a few pictures of them hanging on PW huts, the Bledlow picture earlier when looking for a picture of the crane. 

I'm certain that someone more knowledgeable about PW matters will be able to cite detailed explanations of its use!

Hopefully!

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A large right angle square, presumably for checking that items connected with the track were at 90 degrees. I've seen a few pictures of them hanging on PW huts, the Bledlow picture earlier when looking for a picture of the crane. 

I'm certain that someone more knowledgeable about PW matters will be able to cite detailed explanations of its use!

Hopefully!

I had great difficulty in finding any geometry kit in Radstock the other week, I ordered a set on eBay in the end (cheaper than the bus to Bath and I didn't want to risk disappointment in the next town).

That beauty reminds me of a good old 3-4-5 homemade square, something I always forget about when I need a right angle. 

Screenshot_20221128-165707-913.png.84c4c8711838a3d05eefd3c05f7b807f.png

Consoling myself that nothing in nature is perfectly square anyway... OK maybe some obscure crystal or something 😜

Edited by Tim Dubya
Photo
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A large right angle square, presumably for checking that items connected with the track were at 90 degrees.

It is a platform gauge, to ensure the height and offset of the platform edge from the running (inner) edge of the rail nearest the platform is correct/ reinstated after any work. Not only used for platforms but also other structures around platform height, such as bridge girders.

In modern usage up to 1100mm above rail level is known as the 'Lower Sector Gauge'. Above 1100mm is in the 'Upper Sector'.

Platforms are always measured 'in the plane of the rails' so take cant into consideration (ie they are not measured as you would a topographical survey).

This is so that the correct relationship of a stationary train to a platform can be worked out. Nowadays things are more complicated as the dynamic movement of trains is calculated to ensure that all vehicles pass clear of platforms/ structures whilst giving the correct stepping distance from a coach onto a platform.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Hopefully!

Ah, I have something similar for model making, but mine is set to about 87 degrees I think...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Ah, I have something similar for model making, but mine is set to about 87 degrees I think...

Probably some baboon in the welding and fabrication department has been using the engineer's square for a slag chipping hammer....

Happens a lot.