RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I did a bit of hunting around and came across this site, there's so much for the railway modeller on here, not just vehicles:

http://www.johndaymodels.co.uk/john-day-models/

He's got an ebay shop too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/daryletoneymodels, though with only a few of the kits on at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

That’s spiffing !  Don’t forget the wall calendar.

The underground fuel tanks had ventilation pipes above ground close to the pumps in those days as can be seen on the corner of this garage. Today they have to be at a safe distance ( from cellphones not smokers so much)

CC9198B6-67D8-450C-A54D-DE4A6967A2EE.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Source : The Telegraph : history of uk garages
  • Like 14

18 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

The underground fuel tanks had ventilation pipes above ground close to the pumps in those days as can be seen on the corner of this garage. Today they have to be at a safe distance ( from cellphones not smokers so much)

Thanks for the reminder, on the garage mine is based on, the vents were 1" BSP and went up the left hand post of that wooden overhang. I'll find some wire and make some up.

Calendar needs to go on the wall by the counter flap I think!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2023 at 04:14, MrWolf said:

You both beat me to it there and perhaps I should have captioned my original picture better. I'd been trying out different configurations of where and how to dump the two cars and it was something that the Pen Y Bryn layout by @phil.c, reminded me that at one time there were cars dumped all over the place, especially in the country.

There will be weeds and other clutter applied before the cars are fixed down and I will probably need a bit of a fence behind them.

As I find I have been carefully eased out of bed at 4am by someone trying to be a human starfish, I might just make a brew and have a look at the job before breakfast.

Anyone reading who hasn't had a look at Pen y Bryn really should be doing.

We bought an old cottage in the70s roof falling in no drainage. When we got round to clearing the garden at the bottom, under the brambles and weed was a car roof with the rest of the car underneath it. someone must of dug a big hole and driven it in. 

nice work on the wrecks.

Don

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Well it was a relatively 'new' industry and they were still learning. Plus of course people had more common about them and when someone said put that CIG out our you'll get blown up it meant something. Unlike nowadays when the kids shoot some one they think there going to be alright half an hour later.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Every time I see the front of your buolding it reminds me of this one on the B3400 between Hurstborne Priors and Andover.  This main shed hasn't changed much in over 40 years although it ceased to be a garage many years ago.  There used to be two old fashioned petrol pumps out at the front of the building and presumably some sort of workshop inside as well as there often being a vehicle or two on the patch of bare ground you see this side of it.  And, of course, various enamel signs.  

Even back in the 1960s it looked distinctly out of its natural time - possibly a throwback to  pre-war days and it has always been painted green; was green a 'required' colour scheme for buildings at small country garages I wonder  Whoever owns it now seems yo maintain the building in good condition - hence the corrugated iron roofing is long gone - but there's no indication of what it is now used for.

It;'s a landmark I've always looked out for on my journeys down to the south west (in my book that B road is distinctly preferable to the M4/M5when heading for much of the West of England - and, over that stretch, just as fast as the motorway when it's quiet.

Ooops forgot to add the pic, sorry -

b3400.jpg.3842ffaedfb79ac3431b09f4ede42b74.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Looking very good. Can I ask where the chain is from?!

Thank you, it's not the first time I had to repair it! The chain is actually a flat etch that comes as a part of the Ratio GWR water tower kit. 

I'm not sure if Rob, @NHY 581, didn't find some very fine chain with actual links for one of his projects.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Lovely.  CR Mk II may feature a garage; if so then I'll be shamelessly plagiarising your ideas von W!

Go ahead, it's something of a tradition for rural layouts, I pinched the idea of a model garage off some bloke called John Ahern...

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thank you, it's not the first time I had to repair it! The chain is actually a flat etch that comes as a part of the Ratio GWR water tower kit. 

I'm not sure if Rob, @NHY 581, didn't find some very fine chain with actual links for one of his projects.

I did. It was for the water tower on Sheep Dip. I used a length of a broken fine necklace, gold plate. Obviously weathered to within an inch of it's life. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I’ve actually got the full set of etched brass for this kit because I didn’t use it

so if you want it let me know

I used ultra fine chain (40 links per inch) from Langley

65CAAB88-1845-42FA-844A-9E59E8504F43.jpeg.018ddfc91446dbb4d207630a1ebed970.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Photo added
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve actually got the full set of etched brass for this kit because I didn’t use it

so if you want it let me know

I used ultra fine chain (40 links per inch) from Langley

65CAAB88-1845-42FA-844A-9E59E8504F43.jpeg.018ddfc91446dbb4d207630a1ebed970.jpeg

That might be just the thing to lash my sleeper wagon and all those Macaw flats full of logs. 

• Like 3

Thanks very much Rob & Rob @NHY 581 @MrWolf

...and thanks very much for the offer Chris @chuffinghell - hang fire for a bit but I might take you up on that, I've got a water tower to scratch build for Port St Nick, but given the weather there, its going to be based on one of the insulated Canadian Pacific ones. I've aquired a cheap HO kit off the bay of fleas for the north American spout mechanism but it hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure if a. its suitable or b. how much chain I will actually need.

Sorry to derail your thread von Wolf, I'll get back in my box now...

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hamdulillah for the post office, the Atlas kit has arrived.

I reckon I need about 250mm of chain to be safe - more details on my layout thread...

One last question for you lot - prehistoric decals - I suspect this kit is nearly as old as me but the gauge looks pretty good - how to use???

Sorry. Really am back off to my box now...

IMG_9808.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now Aston on Clun Motor Services nears completion in all its splendour, may I venture to enquire if the 530 project has been consigned to the ‘ too difficult’ box ?  I have about eight of those at the moment

3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Now Aston on Clun Motor Services nears completion in all its splendour, may I venture to enquire if the 530 project has been consigned to the ‘ too difficult’ box ?  I have about eight of those at the moment

Definitely not, it was just that the garage was begun round about the first lockdown!

530 is sitting in the goods siding across from the garage. I keep forgetting to order some early type sand boxes for it, but it's going to be started again soon. 

I have five other locos to build, six if I don't manage to be just a spectator on the Metro tank thread that's drawn just about every other GWR fan in around here.

I'm going to have to draw up a list. There's not so much a too hard pile, more a not as  much fun pile!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3