RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't really know, sometimes it's like Piccadilly Circus round here, sometimes it's like a soup kitchen.

It was "Just another GWR branch line thread", I'm not sure what happened to be honest.

It all got very weird and went off down a rabbit hole that's like Alice in Wonderland meets Lara Croft, Tomb Raider....

If that's the case will there be another two along in a minute.

Personally I'm more a Seven of Nine fan.

Edited by Winslow Boy
That's seven of nine not Nile you silly £&#@-( piece of software.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If that's the case will there be another two along in a minute.

Personally I'm more a Serious Nile fan.

ee7052b1d61f0497189a3164c18b216c.jpg.45df55e25df617f93f7b6d7826aa2d76.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Sometimes there’s stuff about model railway’s right?

Sometimes, but very often it's just a lot of what will be going in this bin when I finish painting it...

IMG_20230225_193003.jpg.623f12db05f56ce5ab13795149903a5c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

Current state of play:

517. Watching stopper dry.

Crossing house compost bin. Watching paint dry and contemplating making a bigger one for the cattle dock.

Or maybe a brick one as per a lot of GWR stables?

The corned beef can key? Unlike a pound coin, you don't forget and spend it. But the ring end will release a shopping trolley.

(From Miss Riding Hood's Guide to surviving university when you're not as rich as your accent suggests. Penguin books, £4.99.)

IMG_20230225_192930.jpg.41e90846a6eb00247799e72999bebd19.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Current state of play:

517. Watching stopper dry.

Crossing house compost bin. Watching paint dry and contemplating making a bigger one for the cattle dock.

Or maybe a brick one as per a lot of GWR stables?

The corned beef can key? Unlike a pound coin, you don't forget and spend it. But the ring end will release a shopping trolley.

(From Miss Riding Hood's Guide to surviving university when you're not as rich as your accent suggests. Penguin books, £4.99.)

IMG_20230225_192930.jpg.41e90846a6eb00247799e72999bebd19.jpg

Me thinks somebody's not being entirely truthful there as they could 'afford' the tin of corned beef that came with the ring end. Or was that 'acquired'?

• Funny 1

10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Me thinks somebody's not being entirely truthful there as they could 'afford' the tin of corned beef that came with the ring end. Or was that 'acquired'?

Now you know what really happened when you buy a tin of processed meat and the @#®$ing key is missing...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

So why is it lurking next to the 517?  Are you planning to fit a clockwork motor, and have something on hand to wind it up with?

Being a little more serious, I like the compost bin.  How did you get the battered edges on the wriggly tin?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Graham T said:

So why is it lurking next to the 517?  Are you planning to fit a clockwork motor, and have something on hand to wind it up with?

Being a little more serious, I like the compost bin.  How did you get the battered edges on the wriggly tin?

That is the sort of question you don't ask in polite company.

• Agree 1

The wriggly tin is the remnants of a packet of Ambis Engineering corrugated iron I've had for ages.

But it can be made using the foil from the bottom of food cartons etc and using two bits of Will's moulded corrugated iron sheet about 11mm wide and 32mm long as a kind of press.

The battered edges were just that. Once the glue was dry I tapped the edges with a small steel rule as though I was trying to knock some rather sticky manure off a shovel!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The battered edges were just that. Once the glue was dry I tapped the edges with a small steel rule as though I was trying to knock some rather sticky manure off a shovel!

I once had a ex Wessex Water Board Morris Minor (actually Austin) van that went like S off a shovel...

And that's another Southern link :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2023 at 23:40, MrWolf said:

Not much done tonight, we were both guilty of getting too comfortable to move.

But I have gathered a few bits together where the paint has dried and added a little more to the crossing house garden.

From L to R:

Washing line post, must get the line put up! 

A barrow full of well rotted manure from the goods yard. 

An old chair for a little relaxation.

A small tin bath full of split wood and kindling. 

A chopping block with axe.

More wood and bark everywhere. 

A saw horse with cross cutter leaning on it.

The next job will be to construct a bin for the manure I think.

IMG_20230223_232536.jpg.c17d7130f409a939e8b3c036ffcfea25.jpg

I though that was the list of chores to be done before doing any modelling.

Don

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Now this Morris Minor, I'd drive every day.

00263604bea34fe63369623f91260f91--sally-phillips-morris-minor.jpg.e7dd75847105c86b5118d0fd7be616af.jpg

Pinterest 

Far more fun to have a Q-car. A friend used to have a standard Morris 1000 body fitted with, I think, an 1800cc engine. Now that was nippy.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Far more fun to have a Q-car. A friend used to have a standard Morris 1000 body fitted with, I think, an 1800cc engine. Now that was nippy.

Stick a Morris Marina 1800TC engine, box and back axle in there for amusement or thanks to our crappy weather and salted winter roads, there was plenty of FIAT Supermirafiori 2 litre twin cam engines and gearboxes. You could even buy a fitting kit 

The lead sled Minor would be stealth to most people now, they just assume it's an old car.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

In student days , South London,  my 1958 Morris 1000 convertible was popular for pub visits - with the hood down we managed seven standing ( and singing).  That was before breathalysers and seat belts of course. The engine was adequate for the job !

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2