Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've found this interior:

138422185_Screenshot2022-03-31at17_18_51.png.9cf8a053397e0e1a0da7768f43d97384.png

Didcot Railway Society

And a similar one in this link: https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/120/no-190-collett-auto-trailer

That's car number 190, the old Airfix model is number 187 and with some upgrades should represent an A30

The model's interior certainly suggests that:

Auto24-WEB.jpg.7a865881f0607af2d902b0c22e74fae0.jpg

World of railways.

I will of course be going daft painting the interior and wishing I could get the seats out for a proper job.

I’ve been a bit obsessed about flush glazing since the awful Triang TT Mk1 ( more like Mk .75) coaches when I tried sellotape over the body sides!

We are spoiled by todays RTR coaches like the Hornby Hawksworth offerings . I was pleased with the Shawglan laser glaze windows for the  autocoach but they are fiddly to fit accurately and I didnt bother with the quarter lights after one effort. To disguise the thickness of the plastic sides I used a water soluble brown fibre pen to darken the window reveals. Easy to erase ectopic ink with a moist finger !

EA238D2B-DF92-463B-B91E-CCF0BC9D804A.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Correction
  • Like 18

That makes a big difference darkening the edges of the body. I think that I will order the Shawplan glazing, but not bin the original 3 inch armoured glass just yet.

I've fitted the handles to the battery boxes, handbrake mechanism to the driving end and painted the floor Humbrol 234.

That was the nearest I could get to what I thought the linoleum floor looks like without mixing something.

A second opinion wasn't much help as she thought it looked "whatever colour tuna chunks are"...

IMG_20230324_215527.jpg.545fc3ef5bd2860fa2a52b0315f06ca0.jpg

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Canadian pink salmon to me Rob.

Shh. Don't tell her, otherwise it will get all Indiana Jones, as in:

"Millions will perish and the armies of darkness will march all across the face of the earth..."

Connery said that, with some prophetic conviction too.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Shawplan flush glazing, the large windows are very easy to fit. For the quarter lights I used Deluxe Materials Glue'n'Glaze.

The quarterlight are the right size to apply the glue at one end then pull across with a cocktail stick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 minutes ago, KNP said:

Shawplan for me every time as they fitted to this coach with hardly any work.

4072.jpg.ce3b5dca07cfcbac923d1203f667368d.jpg

That looks great, hard to believe that any of these are the same old coach.

What did you use to secure the glazing?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks great, hard to believe that any of these are the same old coach.

What did you use to secure the glazing?

Thanks

Deluxe Glue 'n' Glaze, found it had great gloopy adhesion and if you got some on the glazing easily removed with a cocktail stick.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Use very little of the glue and and I if I recall correctly left a little gap at the corners so the glue could spread when glazing pressed in.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

There's been a slight hitch with the brake gear, due to 80% me making assumptions and 20% the drawings being rubbish.

You may wish to wander over to the Tyteford Halte thread in order to point and laugh.

Never mind...

Our hero fought his way onwards across the lifeless desert, arriving two days later at a godforsaken outpost in a dried up river bed named Brazir Al Shawadi Wadi....

8707732.jpg.63f579c3628b4544d3a14380e9335c93.jpg

Exhausted, he virtually fell off his bike and into the command tent, clutching a blueprint marked "Eyes only".

In a parched croak he delivered the vital message:

"They've got the bloody drawing backwards..."

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There's been a slight hitch with the brake gear.....

....They've got the bloody drawing backwards..."

Really? - OMG - Do I need to print off both threads in order to get a decent set of instructions when I start my Autocoach project?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Really? - OMG - Do I need to print off both threads in order to get a decent set of instructions when I start my Autocoach project?

Not at all, it was a SNAFU due to a failure to RTFM and apply the Seven P Rule.

I had wrongly assumed that the Airfix outer V hanger was in the correct place. It is on one side, but not the other. Viz:

IMG_20230327_160939.jpg.57e6ecdaa8f642aadcdf8e07f7f43480.jpg

The right hand (or driving cab end). V hanger should be where the brass item is laid on the floor, not where it's moulded, because that puts the brake cylinder where the other large battery box should be.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

What it should look like. Driving end is to the right in this picture.

IMG_20230327_193950.jpg.b402fcde898cc04ee5dc005f3542f0ec.jpg

The drawings are okay . There's a number of areas which should be much clearer, but the only real fault I have found is that the plan shows the battery boxes stood right back from the truss irons whereas in fact they are almost hard up to it.

340px-GWR_coach_A38_231_retractable_steps.jpg.1c9422b02048a1efb4d8f7fb9ca169ac.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

More twiddly bits being fettled and fitted.

Here are the corner steps with the step itself folded up and the bits of pipework for the locomotive end of the coach:

IMG_20230330_040140.jpg.1e92833955b7c21d04216a3c3f41ba87.jpg

The 0.8mm hole I drilled in the buffer beam to make fitting one of the pipes easier:

IMG_20230330_040333.jpg.00712f6b401d38e5a3b7357d31af0064.jpg

The step support arms bent up as per the instructions and drawings. The locomotive end steps on the left and the driving end steps on the right.

IMG_20230330_042642.jpg.3321ef598faf694b39e952e555389321.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

My ancient detailing kit had whitemetal end steps, and of course they were the first things to fall off. Would it be possible to melt these into the underframe with a soldering iron - might be more secure than cyanoacrylate ,

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

All this conversion work reminds me I really should get round to placing an order with Shawplan. I was going to get the autocoach glazing, some for a B set, some for Toad and possibly something else that eludes me right now. But then I'd have to remember which box I put the Dart Castings detailing kit...

If I have enough brass angle left over after doing the Siphon kits, I might consider using that to replace the Airfix offering. But then that would mean I have two underframes to finish before I can get on with the autocoach. Haiya.

Edited by 57xx
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Old Lima railcar? 

Thank you, that will probably be it!! I also need some spare buffers for it I think, luckily on another thread someone sourced some the other day.

• Friendly/supportive 2