Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I’ll watch this with interest Rob, quite fancy adding a modified Toad to my collection.

Thanks Graham, the current order of service is:

Finish:

CC2 Mink.

Autocoach.

517 Class.

Then I will be wanting to do some intensive scenery work, for which I largely blame you for your inspiration...

AA16 Toad.

Batch of many Toads which I will post up on here as a "How I done it" exercise and I will be making sure that I don't get (too)  sidetracked.

And we all know how that usually turns out don't we?

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

For those who haven't seen the CC2's sister van with ratchet brakes rather than DC, here it is over on the Warren Branch thread of @chuffinghell.

It's thanks to Chris's ingenuity that the project has become a reality.

Edited by MrWolf
Sheer incompetence
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

CC2 finally finished and on the layout!

IMG_20230430_181338.jpg.64f8bee9665ac47c121f9ff2336cfa39.jpg

IMG_20230430_194120.jpg.3fa2bbdbe4867210307ac9fea68f3fbc.jpg

IMG_20230430_194146.jpg.0313d81930f50211fbf2e42d08e78d23.jpg

IMG_20230430_194209.jpg.cab8c1b3c5b99178aa498af1021fd046.jpg

IMG_20230430_194250.jpg.1d7d6a213194b631b0a7e37e57d4eba0.jpg

The roof looks rather white in the pictures, but it really isn't!

IMG_20230430_172824.jpg.88ad9ddb4d9e12f8731f6fbf2d922a11.jpg

27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

For those who haven't seen the CC2's sister van with ratchet brakes rather than DC, here it is over on the Warren Branch thread of @chuffinghell.

It's thanks to Chris's ingenuity that the project has become a reality.

A wonderful effort once again. 

Bloody damn good show !

23F99A6D00000578-0-image-m-35_1418311698830.jpg.f56302d7dee6f00f599e774da9c47c0c.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah ! 

Winners Minor. Report to the Boot Room at 6 sharp for a damn good thrashing. 

post-14122-0-71292000-1493621354.jpeg.jpg.be6e29d4b6a4b4afaf60f0b19ed4429f.jpg

That's what you get for pestering the senior boys from the science class. 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Both tools vans absolutely stunning (yours & @chuffinghell).

I have a similar list of brakevan tasks, so I will wait and watch the master at work before having a go myself.  Last night I took some scraps of iron mink and tacked them together to get a mock up of what an iron toad may look like.  In the picture below,  the red vans were bought at a much reduced price from Rails of Sheffield - unfortunately the ad didn't mention that these were static models fitted with non-revolving wheels ( I now have an axle box reamer).  The Dapol  GPV wagon will become a Henson  van,  whilst the black Ratio van was bought from their workshop in Sturminster Newton many decades ago after a successful day at the auction mart. It was probably put together the same day.

Picture W.jpg

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Pete Haitch said:

...the red vans...

Ah, I was going to ask how you got these moving! I found replacing the wheelsets with Gibson made them almost-usable, with just a little friction of the tyre rim against the underframe. 5 mins with a sharp blade (and a chamfer guide if we're feeling posh) would sort that. I didn't test, but suspect the axle boxes could be opened out to take proper bearings too. Not done to mine as a change of plans has popped them in the 'probably sell on' pile; but they're good models and it's a shame not to let them loose on the open (rail)road.

@MrWolf once again you and Chris have together created something fascinating to follow and wonderful to see completed. A trip to Aston pays dividends in information and inspiration - thank you!

Slight disassembly service envy. A rather aesthetically please end result too.

Rob the Sheep, what have I said about using my Tinder profile picture without permission?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Schooner said:

@MrWolfRob the Sheep, what have I said about using my Tinder profile picture without permission?!

Remarkably, I lack the words to adequately comment on that, Louis.............

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

Ah, I was going to ask how you got these moving! I found replacing the wheelsets with Gibson made them almost-usable, with just a little friction of the tyre rim against the underframe. 5 mins with a sharp blade (and a chamfer guide if we're feeling posh) would sort that. I didn't test, but suspect the axle boxes could be opened out to take proper bearings too. Not done to mine as a change of plans has popped them in the 'probably sell on' pile; but they're good models and it's a shame not to let them loose on the open (rail)road.

Why, in the name of Satan's backside (Or Lily James's if you prefer.) would you make a model wagon where the wheels don't go round? That's what wheels do, it's their main purpose, any fule kno that!

@MrWolf once again you and Chris have together created something fascinating to follow and wonderful to see completed. A trip to Aston pays dividends in information and inspiration - thank you!

Thank you, that's most kind and encouraging.

You forgot to mention that a visit here makes you realise that you are much closer to sanity and rational behaviour than you thought...

Slight disassembly service envy. A rather aesthetically please end result too.

Despite appearances to the contrary in this olde skule foto, Arabella Ryden-Hoode was always an utter swot with a thirst for knowledge...

108a3c351ce92f628497c023c9542d58--vintage-book-covers-vintage-books.jpg.f7e582d75af50587ef8f4699fd50f24f.jpg

Rob the Sheep, what have I said about using my Tinder profile picture without permission?!

I do not have sufficient knowledge of the subject (Nor do I wish to have) in order to make any kind of comments on this matter...

• Like 3

Onwards and probably sideways quite a bit as usual, the autocoach project is giving me similar dirty looks as the photo in the previous post.

I have been avoiding the control rods somewhat, not because they are difficult (although some dimensions would have helped!) but because I keep dropping things and super glue is anything but.

(Although I bet it works instantly every time if you ignore the instructions and point the tube at your eyeball when opening it...)

Time to bite the bullet and make things happen.

IMG_20230501_143437.jpg.6f22fefa1a87db1f2f16d567031b30b4.jpg

As you can see, I have included said bullet in the picture.

If you don't get some progress pictures within a day or two, either I have made a complete ba11s of the job and thrown it off the roof, or that round turned out to be live...

• Like 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'd recommend not belting said round with a hammer, just to be on the safe side...

Spoil sport. You'll be saying next don't throw it into the fire. I don't know you just can't have any fun now a days without someone objecting.

Ps you don't want to see my Tinder profile picture.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Drat and drat again. Damn that Wolf.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

As you can see, I have included said bullet in the picture.

Private Baldrick : You know how they say that somewhere there's a bullet with your name on it?

Captain Blackadder : Yes?

Private Baldrick : Well I thought that if I owned the bullet with my name on it, I'll never get hit by it. Cause I'll never shoot myself...

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

Honestly I am lucky to be here judging by mother's wartime experiences, despite only being born at the start of it.

Mum and little sister are sitting in their high chairs in the farmhouse kitchen. Big sister finds some of my grandad's LDV bullets on the mantel above the range and chucks one in the fire.

Of course it goes bing bing bing round the room, big sister jumps out of the window and hides in the cowshed.

Grandma comes in to clouds of dust and the little ones shouting, Again!!

Despite having fallen into the wash tub and being fished out by her older brother, my mother still had no fear of water.

When the brook burst it's banks as usual and flooded the field behind the farm right up to the stack yard she as a fearless three year old decided to paddle in, not realising that there was a current of course.

One of the POWs ran in and fished her out just in time.

The end result of this is whilst my grandma put my mother to bed, my great aunt came round and walked into the kitchen to find nobody but a young German airman in a state of dishabille sitting by the fire drinking grandad's gin...

Edited by MrWolf
Grammar
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

This is where we are at with the autocoach.

I was nearly this far at the other day when a hammer pawed moment resulted in a depressing TWOING!!! sound and half of it came adrift.

Investigators concluded that this was also down to super glue that was far from super and barely glue.

In fairness it had been open for about a year, so had evidently lost its mojo.

So this morning I spent a small fortune on yet more glue...

IMG_20230501_172613.jpg.1f100d1dffc15aca22e57c049468538e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried the UV activated SG? It's very good but far from super glue. It has it's uses as does super glue but it don't stick everything to everything else even though they claim it does but like everything else, as I say, it has it's uses.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

Have you tried the UV activated SG? It's very good but far from super glue. It has it's uses as does super glue but it don't stick everything to everything else even though they claim it does but like everything else, as I say, it has it's uses.

Regards Lez.

That's not something that I have heard of. I remember when I was doing a fair bit of joinery, a mate who ran a bespoke kitchens and bedrooms firm showed me some impressive superglue which had a spray activator, perhaps a little bit sledgehammer to crack a walnut for the likes of us, but I've often wondered about better alternatives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The spray activator type of superglue is very good and like all other forms of glue has it's uses. It's very good for building white metal kits if you don't want to solder as it allows adjustment of the part before you fic it in place.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Zap is one brand of SG that has different curing times. You choose what speed you want then spray it with something they call zap kicker which accelerates the curing time. Other brands are out there and the accelerator works on any super glue so you are free to choose your poison. Just search for spray accelerated super glue on your online market place of choice and a thousand options pop up before your very eyes. 

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Having had enough of super glue that will only stick your fingers together, I buy a card of 6 tubes for £1.25 from our local bargain shop. It sticks just as well or badly as your branded stuff.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Having had enough of super glue that will only stick your fingers together, I buy a card of 6 tubes for £1.25 from our local bargain shop. It sticks just as well or badly as your branded stuff.

Today I have bought a mixture of Gorilla super glue gel and Wilko Instant Bond.

You're not the only one who failed at The Pepsi Challenge for glue.

• Friendly/supportive 5