Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I think that works ok.

53 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That looks about right.

44 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'd say it looks 'spot on' :good:

5 minutes ago, nickwood said:

Looks ok to me.

There's a pattern developing here!

I agree with all of the above.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

There's a pattern developing here!

I agree with all of the above.

Just to stir things up a bit, when you thought you had a clear agreement!

Might your train ever have a lwb parcels van on the front, or tail traffic?

If you could squeeze in a few more feet (scale), so that the additional traffic above could be used with the same clear space at either end of the train as you earlier showed with your two coach train, then it would be even better.

However, you also need to take into account the rest of the station area. You don't want  to give the appearance of too large a station shoehorned into a space, particularly for a rural environment where land in the 1800s was cheap!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thank you all, I think that's fairly conclusive!

I have also taken into account @Tallpaul69's thoughts on the rest of the station area. Those have justified my earlier taking a leaf out of @KNP's book and extending the baseboard width by 150mm in the station area. This has allowed for a more open space between the goods shed siding and the mileage siding. It gives plenty more room to swing the proverbial cat. Also, at the prototype location, even 60 years after my imagined line closed, there's still plenty of room for a bigger station and goods yard. 

My only concern was accidentally building something akin to Paddington to serve a rural village, which is why I am keeping the buildings as small as I can whilst still providing facilities for passengers and goods.

Thanks again, your comments are much appreciated and that part of the build was stalling all of the groundwork on the station board.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Just to stir things up a bit, when you thought you had a clear agreement!

Might your train ever have a lwb parcels van on the front, or tail traffic?

If you could squeeze in a few more feet (scale), so that the additional traffic above could be used with the same clear space at either end of the train as you earlier showed with your two coach train, then it would be even better.

However, you also need to take into account the rest of the station area. You don't want  to give the appearance of too large a station shoehorned into a space, particularly for a rural environment where land in the 1800s was cheap!

Cheers

Paul

Thats fine but we should take into account that originally, the station was built to handle the stock of the day. Small locos and short coaches.  Coaches and locos simply got longer. As an example a 48ft bogie coach became a 57ft bogie coach. 

I still think its right as is. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

That length is good enough, I think. Platforms at wayside stations on double-track lines were typically 300 ft. 

As to carriages getting longer, remember that trains got shorter! A two-coach B-set might be taking the place of a four or five coach train of 4- or 6-wheelers but the seating capacity could be unchanged.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Definitely, that was the original problem that I had. Was the 220' platform too long, given that I was using bits of the Criggion branch as a yardstick?

I was basing that on the theory that when the branch was built in 1870, the locomotive would have been an 0-6-0 like those that ran on the Mid Wales Railway with a 4 wheeled tender and it's train would consist of two or three four wheelers and possibly a milk or parcels van. That still stacks up the same. If the platform had been unsuited to the larger trains of say 1890, then no doubt the Great Western would have extended the platform in 1901. In fact I did consider an obvious join / mismatch of brickwork to suggest as much. (And naturally forgot to do it!)

So, the platform stays at 220'0".  It's a perfectly feasible length for the expected traffic.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The other thing to be aware of with the platform is height - most model platforms are too high. It should be no more than 3ft above rail level (and a lot of minor railway platforms were even lower). I've also seen a few places with an obvious change in platform height where there was a later extension.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

If it was rebuilt in 1901, it might be the full 3 ft. The original platform might only be anything between 2 ft 6 in and 1 ft 6 in depending on when it was built. But if low, it would probably have been sloping towards the rails and perhaps 6 in higher at the station building.

This has consequences for the relationship between platform height and building threshold height. A platform raised to 3 ft might well slope down away from the rails towards the building.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks fine to me but even if you didn’t have the space as long as the platform can accommodate one coach. For example Passengers for Cassington on the Fairford Branch always had to join the front coach behind the Loco as that’s all the platform could accommodate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

If it was rebuilt in 1901, it might be the full 3 ft. The original platform might only be anything between 2 ft 6 in and 1 ft 6 in depending on when it was built. But if low, it would probably have been sloping towards the rails and perhaps 6 in higher at the station building.

This has consequences for the relationship between platform height and building threshold height. A platform raised to 3 ft might well slope down away from the rails towards the building.

Lower platforms also look a bit bigger, as they dominate things less.

Frank Dwyer used 10mm (2'6") above rail level on Borchester Market.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

The other thing to be aware of with the platform is height - most model platforms are too high. It should be no more than 3ft above rail level (and a lot of minor railway platforms were even lower). I've also seen a few places with an obvious change in platform height where there was a later extension.

This subject has been on my mind too, especially as I think it was touched upon earlier in the thread. Some early platforms were not unlike the continental type, (often raised in later years leaving steps down into the buildings) others a halfway house, and not a few had a section raised up high for loading churns or even cattle. 

Give me a minute, I have some measuring to do! (Followed no doubt by sawing and profanity)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I had built my platform face using bits of Wills' platform sections for several reasons. I had almost enough kicking around. The brickwork matches everything else. The flagstone top is very useful, but not in this case. The corbeling under the platform edges is very nice.

But the height? Wills' have manufactured them to be a scale 4'3" above ground level to the platform surface. This is actually a good idea because it caters for everything from the train set upwards. It does mean though that even though I am using antediluvian (to some) Peco code 100 track for purposes of occasional rule 1 running, the platform surface is still a scale 3'3" above the rail heads. 

Solution?

Carefully slice off the bottom two courses of bricks, the only tricky bit is cutting through the corbeling straight.

This gives me an above rail height of about 2'8". 

Which will do nicely.

Ofcourse I had made it awkward by not trimming the height before sticking it all together and made a scale 280 foot cut. I also had to trim back the opposite sides of the ramps which aren't quite buried in the surrounding earth.

It does give me a chance to show the difference in a photo. 

IMG_20210211_155404.jpg.ccf57d925d34e4a9baf61cc8499df52f.jpg

Hopefully I can get the platform built up tonight using bits of this and that to get the look I want.

But I have been politely(!) reminded that it's my turn to cook, so it will have to wait!

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I quite enjoy cooking. It’s much like model building.

Find/make up a plan.

Collect raw materials.

Chop them into shape with knives, hammers, other tools as required (Even power tools).

Apply heat (or not)

Admire artistically assembled result.

Then it goes downhill as the family demolish my work in a matter of minutes. Then I have to do it all again in a couple of days later and make a different model!

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

I enjoy cooking as well, over the years I have become quite adept at the timings so I can prep X whilst Y is cooking and so on. Speeds up the job. Forget the pretentious gits on TV, being able to cook is a basic survival skill that everyone should learn. Not cooking for yourself is one of the reasons we have become a nation of fat lazy b*****ds. :D

Plus you know what you're getting (more or less) we have to be careful as there's certain foods that can cause the memsahib to burst into flames. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

After all your positive response, I confidently set about making the platform in its entirety. I have decided to surface the area in front of the station building with blue brick flagstones, the type which had a diamond pattern on the upper surface and are referred to in some parts of the country as "Staffordshire Blue Flags". Of course, you can't buy such things. But what I did have that was nice and thin, the right brick pattern and not required elsewhere was some sheets of Wills' bridge and tunnel arch linings. 

A simple job of slice to size, fettle so that the brickwork lines up and stick to a piece of 0.030" plasticard as a sub base.

Then have a sausage paws moment and knock over half a bottle of MEK-PAK, creating a total meltdown on the bench. A sort of OO scale China syndrome.

(Cue angry letters to the Railway Modeller and demonstrations outside the Atomic Energy Commission about the end of the world being 2.33 millimetres too small)

It has resulted in starting again. Luckily I had a stash of plasticard. I'm wondering if it's a visitation of karma for the cloning discussion on the Sheep Chronicles the other day. Miss Riding Hood would probably be less than 10% flattered and more than 90% creeped out at the idea, I thought. Surprisingly, she is willing to offer a cell sample, from her middle finger. So I am sorry to disappoint, but I think that is a no.

The platform surface, finally turned out like this, allowing for an area to the left of the building for milk churns, passenger parcel traffic etc, the rest of the platform surface will be compacted ash.

IMG_20210213_211222.jpg.0d6527939d581b0a5bf67e36814d2d57.jpg

Naturally, I have complicated matters and didn't think about the combined thickness of the brick material and plasticard. Probably should have used 0.020, because the surface now sticks up above the edging stones. So I had to carve the mounting lugs off the back of the Wills platform sections. Which will mean careful assembly and adding a few corner braces. The rest of it I will cover with an ash surface so there should be no problems with levels.

IMG_20210213_211238.jpg.4d171baae930869e3cdc8e06f0aeb2ab.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 11

Bits of work in spare moments has seen the platform cut to line up with the baseboard joint. I reinforced the ends with some offcuts of Peco slate roofing. It's quite thick and was the first thing to hand. 

IMG_20210214_150137.jpg.673f0e8e71b62ea134c552187f4f727f.jpg

The brick surface has had a thin coat of Humbrol 67 and will be weathered once I have added the ash surface to the rest of it. Thanks to @wiggoforgold for the recipe.

IMG_20210215_220409.jpg.8f0f83275318b4398216f520d41db775.jpg

All manner of other juggling has been going on as I have been test fitting the various buildings and features in the station area. I had a good idea where most would end up. As much as I like goods sheds, a small one is all that is needed here. I modified the Wills version. The base is more bits of Wills' platform sections. This time I didn't lower the height, because in standard form, the floor of the goods shed is slightly lower than the floor of a railway wagon and slightly higher than a horse drawn waggon. Even I can't argue with that!

IMG_20210215_220434.jpg.5b08aae5945ee583a41077685ccb9deb.jpg

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Glad to be of some help

it’s coming on a treat!.....I’d better pull my finger out

I don't think that there's much hope of me overtaking you and finishing my layout first!

• Like 2