Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Thanks for that. Somewhere amongst my junk I have some Mike's Models white metal ones that I bought secondhand half a lifetime ago. I don't know whether they are still available through. 

It's good for modellers and manufacturers alike to keep everyone informed of what is available and (I have always thought that this was a problem, particularly with cottage industries changing ownership) exactly where to find it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

I'd let you have some York Modelmaking valance brackets but I think they would be too big. I'll dig some out and let you the dimensions if you like though.

Another reason why I love this forum. :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I also have some ( 4, I think) small etched brackets, Rob.  I'll photograph them and send on if you think they'll do the job. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have five of these. Which one of us wins a plastic windmill / goldfish / My little pony hair brush?

You win the best ruler.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

I was quite surprised that I managed to find those brackets, they were in a box of junk that also contained a tiny motorcycle and sidecar kit and some fuzzy dice I bought for the Stuka.

Thanks everyone for your ideas suggestions and kind offers. 

Now I have a plan.

Sort of.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Would that be a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on and call it a fox? 

Watched too many Blackadder sets while in hospital, although I think weasel was also used somewhere but could be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Would that be a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on and call it a fox? 

Watched too many Blackadder sets while in hospital, although I think weasel was also used somewhere but could be wrong.

It's likely to have more in common with the tiny flaw in The Great Plan To Win World War One By Christmas 1914.....

You must have gone through BUPA, last time I was in hospital you couldn't watch TV because all the remote controls had been stolen. I kid you not!!

Good to see you recovering. You'll soon be fit to be sent over the top into no man's land again....

Edited by MrWolf
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's likely to have more in common with the tiny flaw in The Great Plan To Win World War One By Christmas 1914.....

You must have gone through BUPA, last time I was in hospital you couldn't watch TV because all the remote controls had been stolen.

Good to see you recovering. You'll soon be fit to be sent over the top into no man's land again....

No good old NHS, I took my tablet in with me (the electronic kind, they supply you with the drug kind.) Free WiFi.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS OUTDATED TRACKWORK AND ATTITUDES TOWARD LAYOUT CONTROL THAT SOME MODELLERS MAY FIND OFFENSIVE.

This arrived in the post today. I'm posting pictures to show how the latest type of Insulfrog point is put together. Also included is the standard wiring diagram for DC and DCC.  I'm not going to make too many assumptions about what needs connecting where. 

I really should have drawn it up by now in red and black. 

In my defence, the memsahib had one of her peculiar turns and ate all my crayons.

IMG_20210421_220042.jpg.acf070591c99e925f26afdb1894c0b68.jpg

IMG_20210421_220024.jpg.aade9db160e3fc26ebbf7ca47e870574.jpg

IMG_20210421_220038.jpg.0b7fc1bb1c2b7860632bac298f48d3a8.jpg

IMG_20210421_220159.jpg.0844dd995f448f2858f37164fac701f1.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

By the looks of it you only need to bond the stock rails to the adjourning switch rails and eliminate the reliance on the pressure contact between the ends of the switch rails and stock rails. Peco provide that nice gap in the web to allow you to do this.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

By the looks of it you only need to bond the stock rails to the adjourning switch rails and eliminate the reliance on the pressure contact between the ends of the switch rails and stock rails. Peco provide that nice gap in the web to allow you to do this.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. If we were to number the gaps in the rails in picture one of my previous post from top to bottom 1 - 4, then we would jump cable 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 ? I need to scroll back to the pictures of points that Chris @chuffinghell posted, I'm sure that is what he did.

I threw this diagram together to make sense of things as recommended by @Simondand it adds weight to your theory.

I said that I thought Miss Riding Hood had gone mad (again) and eaten all my crayons. I tried to check for evidence of a green tongue, but she bites!

IMG_20210422_010645.jpg.e5b74ce8046785140b937877ffa7a67a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing

3 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Like this. Sorry it's a bit small.

Wiring.jpg.6d5e836c676d22c1a713edf675739197.jpg

Nicely done! Exactly like that.

Now all we need to do is sit back and wait for someone to tell us that's wrong and how to do it properly / ten times easier.

It's always been an irritation that I can figure out circuits on a board, or make a wiring harness for a motorcycle, yet model railway track has me stumped.

• Friendly/supportive 1

That makes sense, it also demonstrates the switching needed for live frog points (also the fabled two wires only needed for DCC....)

Not sure about the use of the word "BUS" used in the diagram....:nono:

I am given to understand that its use is contextual, but surely a bus that uses wires is in fact a tram?

Trams are acceptable provided that they look like a varnished wooden summerhouse held together with enamel signs and sound like an eight ton Tri-ang Nellie...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Just so long as the bus wasn’t on a bridge... ...we could rectify that, that. (Little electronic joke there.)

For DC, turnouts need to have only this much wiring:

7E822DBE-39F9-40FF-B83E-82CF3A54BE86.jpeg.30b3072ff99ebb5dfe233dba3b61be9a.jpeg

However, you also need to have breaks in both rails at crossovers, and on the two “inside” rails of loops, to prevents shorts. In practice, this usually fits in with the breaks necessary for section feeds, and you could do it as below:

AA50D774-46D4-4FEC-A71D-56014A15C583.jpeg.e66ecbe7b0ab0c3f45d62ed364aededd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2