Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• MrWolf changed the title to Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

This has to be a model railway first. 

I'm setting out the various boundaries at the village end of the layout so that I know where the roads and further bits of grass will go.

Except that one of the boundary walls of the hall didn't want to glue down flat.

In the absence of suitable clamps, a sizeable chunk of vintage motorcycle gearbox has been pressed into service, aided by assorted hammers.

IMG_20210927_234105.jpg.75ddea01002da6508c199665b572e161.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 14

Speaking of static grass, now that the position of the level crossing is fixed, I thought that I would sort out the bit of land where the B road to Clun curves away to the right.

IMG_20210928_001751.jpg.b33b6ceb00c2e734fb8d011e26e569b0.jpg

And because I didn't want to waste the glue left on the brush, I put in the edge of the lawn at Aston Hall.

IMG_20210928_001810.jpg.b8eef9ca1c9713e6ec45a9fb6ee3aa3f.jpg

Between the walls is this dirt road that serves the buildings behind the hall. It was also used to bring timber out of the woods towards Hopesay.

IMG_20210523_091012.jpg.1ce685de9e9cbed10eb70574e62c44f7.jpg

The railway would have followed the hedge line to the left of the modern (ish) substation and crossed the dirt road at the top of the rise that can just be seen between the trees, striking northeast to Craven Arms.

Edited by MrWolf
It's late, gimme a break!
  • Like 13

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This has to be a model railway first. 

I'm setting out the various boundaries at the village end of the layout so that I know where the roads and further bits of grass will go.

Except that one of the boundary walls of the hall didn't want to glue down flat.

In the absence of suitable clamps, a sizeable chunk of vintage motorcycle gearbox has been pressed into service, aided by assorted hammers.

That is a very interesting and artistic composition.  I know sod all about art and the various genres, but I know what I like.  It speaks to me of the meaning of life, with a hint of chaos.  I think the positioning of the hammers is particularly clever.   How much are you asking ?  :laugh:

Edited by Gopher
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

Precisely. It's a comment upon the human condition. Where in times that we have choices we have few problems yet when time and options are limited any old c2ap will do...

It speaks of the conflict between the  world as we hoped it would be as children and the world the way it is.

Speaking of soul crushing disappointments, the Tate Modern said no. There are too many traditional male themes in the image...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Precisely. It's a comment upon the human condition. Where in times that we have choices we have few problems yet when time and options are limited any old c2ap will do...

It speaks of the conflict between the  world as we hoped it would be as children and the world the way it is.

Speaking of soul crushing disappointments, the Tate Modern said no. There are too many traditional male themes in the image...

Ah - I also see Ying and Yang in the positioning of the hammer and static grass applicator in one of the photos above.  Tate Modern are clearly idiots.  

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m originally from Stoke-on-Trent and it would be pronounced ‘ammer 

e.g pass me the ammer duck

however I refused to use the term ‘duck’  and have trained myself to use the letter ‘H’ because let’s face it the potteries accent is awful

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Ah - I also see Ying and Yang in the positioning of the hammer and static grass applicator in one of the photos above.  Tate Modern are clearly idiots.  

The thing is, for this to be "art", then the hammer would have to be carefully but forcefully embedded deep into the scene, to show the utter futility of the investment of time into a hobby, when it can be so easily destroyed in a moment of violence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Regularity said:

The thing is, for this to be "art", then the hammer would have to be carefully but forcefully embedded deep into the scene, to show the utter futility of the investment of time into a hobby, when it can be so easily destroyed in a moment of violence.

Good point - see I said I knew sod all about art (or hammers or mallets come to that).   Must admit I missed the duck referred to by Chris Chuffinghell) altogether :D 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

however I refused to use the term ‘duck’  and have trained myself to use the letter ‘H’ because let’s face it the potteries accent is awful

You mean "pass me the 'ammer huck"?

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm sure somebody from the six towns would not have used the definite article but rather

pass me 'ammer, duck

In Derbyshire it would probably have been

pass 'ammer, me duck

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago we visited our son who works in Hong Kong and we were invited to a fish restaurant with some of his friends. I don’t know how the subject came up but trying to explain why we say “ay up me duck” to Hong Kong natives was interesting.

Brian

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ponthir28 said:

That’s not a hammer it’s a copper hide mallet. Which I must have used hundreds working as a toolmaker for over forty years.Thor good make.

Very true but in @Graham T’s and @Gopher’s defence the previous photo which started the whole hammer thing does in fact contain a claw hammer also know as a stress reliever :lol:

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I always wondered if that ballast magic was any good :scratchhead:I use their ballast bond which is good stuff

46 minutes ago, 88C said:

A few years ago we visited our son who works in Hong Kong and we were invited to a fish restaurant with some of his friends. I don’t know how the subject came up but trying to explain why we say “ay up me duck” to Hong Kong natives was interesting.

Brian

A230ADB7-79D2-4457-8219-63A64CCA849C.jpeg.8173e272dc0f7d4aaf7a6b94da42f06b.jpeg

2CC67F74-59EE-463A-BC35-B66F25C754F0.jpeg.fa71b146479b31e8983d578a28bb84a4.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

The idea of forcefully embedding my 2-1/4Ib lump hammer into my layout has often crossed my mind :rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

The idea of forcefully embedding my 2-1/4Ib lump hammer into my layout has often crossed my mind :rolleyes:

But would it have been done in a stylised, symbolic and above carefully considered way?

(But I think we have all been there! I have been further than that, and things have “graced” the local tip!)

18 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I don't really mind if it's a hammer or a mallet - it's still the tool of champions :)

Are you sure?

spacer.png

Granted, he is a champion tool…

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9