Hornby Scot - DCC Fitted - can't reprogramme.

250BOB

Hi Guys,

First ever purchase of a DCC Fitted loco, Hornby Scot 46144, R2729X.

Normally I fit my own Lenz decoders for my Lenz system, but this loco has its own Hornby decoder ready fitted..

It runs ok out of the box with address 3. So I have put it on the programming track to give it a new address.....but all it does is give me a reading of Err 02.

If I try to read any of the normal CV values like CV3 and CV4, all that come up is the letter "R".

Put it on the main and it runs fine on address 3 again.

I am only familiar with Lenz decoders, so maybe I need some instruction on what I am doing wrong.

Any thoughts.?

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I believe you have to set the address using CV 1 as the Hornby R8249 decoder does not support read-back, which is what is causing the ERR 02 to appear. Hornby describe the decoder as "competitively priced" which to you and me means cheap! I'm replacing the few Hornby decoders I have with Lenz.

This explains the issue.

http://www.Hornby.com/digital/thirdparty/lenz-lh100-digital-plus,94,HAR.html

That's odd. I have several of the Hornby budget decoders & have never had an issue reading CVs.

I have found that a lot of CVs are unwritable (because it is the budget chip), but other than that, they work well.

Unlike many on here, I prefer tham to the Bachmann budget decoder. I have 2 of these, neither of which take any notice of the acceleration CV even though I cad read it back correctly.

Pete

It appears some low cost ones do support interogation...whereas, some other cheap ones dont.?????

Like you, my experience of some Bachmann decoders has not been good.

Bob.

Hi Guys,

First ever purchase of a DCC Fitted loco, Hornby Scot 46144, R2729X.

Normally I fit my own Lenz decoders for my Lenz system, but this loco has its own Hornby decoder ready fitted..

It runs ok out of the box with address 3. So I have put it on the programming track to give it a new address.....but all it does is give me a reading of Err 02.

If I try to read any of the normal CV values like CV3 and CV4, all that come up is the letter "R".

Put it on the main and it runs fine on address 3 again.

I am only familiar with Lenz decoders, so maybe I need some instruction on what I am doing wrong.

Any thoughts.?

Bob

Check this out on the Hornby website, re using Lenz systems & programming etc http://www.Hornby.com/digital/thirdparty/

HTH

That's odd. I have several of the Hornby budget decoders & have never had an issue reading CVs.

I have found that a lot of CVs are unwritable (because it is the budget chip), but other than that, they work well.

Unlike many on here, I prefer tham to the Bachmann budget decoder. I have 2 of these, neither of which take any notice of the acceleration CV even though I cad read it back correctly.

What DCC system are you using ?

What DCC system are you using ?

Thanks for your replies guys....I use a Lenz system, and not read the literature re the already installed decoder in the scot.

It obviuosly does not do read back....it only does 3 digit address 1 to 127

It is limited in comparison to the lenz Standard decoders I am used to. That said, I am currently quite happy with its performance, once I had slowed the acceleration and deceleration.....I'll go with that.

Thanks for your input..............Bob.

Archived