GWR 'B Set' Colours

greggieboy

Hi guys,i'm trying to find out what colours were used for roofs (outside) and interiors (seating etc) on the GWR 'b sets' in the late 30's/early 40's.I havn't found any info for the interiors at all,and the roofs seem to be white or grey in pictures.....which is correct ?

Any info appreciated.  Thanks.  Greg.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, greggieboy said:

Hi guys,i'm trying to find out what colours were used for roofs (outside) and interiors (seating etc) on the GWR 'b sets' in the late 30's/early 40's.I havn't found any info for the interiors at all,and the roofs seem to be white or grey in pictures.....which is correct ?

Any info appreciated.  Thanks.  Greg.

The roofs started white but very quickly went grey. This was due to smoke etc rather than repainting. 

Edited by Kris

The "White lead" (Lead Carbonate) gradually changed to grey lead sulphide under the action of sulphur in the atmosphere (quite a lot as a result of coal fires). 

In the 1940s, the roofs were painted grey deliberately, as white roofs were rather visible to bombers at night.

Edited by eastglosmog
Hit send to soon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2020 at 08:21, Douglas G said:

This has come up a few times, including above

An 'early 1950s' livery would be unlined crimson, not maroon, applied between June 1948 and 1956.  Livery changed to unlined maroon 1956-9, after which line maroon was applied to any surviving B sets that got repainted.  Stock was repainted at 7 year intervals and a 1948 GW liveried set might have been in service as late as early 1955, and a choc/cream liveried pre-June 1948 BR transition set further into the year.  Crimson liveried sets would have been in service up to 1963, and B sets were getting thin on the ground by then; many would have been withdrawn from service in that livery without ever recievning the maroon or lined maroon liveries.