iTrain speed measurement differences

TomScrut

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Also, on another note, the 3 point table doesn't seem to make a difference, just done a LS4 and LP4 with 3 point table and at high speeds there are one or two plateaus

If you have CV29 set to use A custom speed table (which you infer earlier) then the 3 points don’t work as you have overridden them.

what are LS4 and LP4?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

If you have CV29 set to use A custom speed table (which you infer earlier) then the 3 points don’t work as you have overridden them.

what are LS4 and LP4?

I have set bit 4 of CV29 to 0 to switch it back to 3 point.

Loksound 4 Lokpilot 4.

In fact the Loksound was a new loco that had been run in but nothing else altered. Maybe ought to check Hornby hadn't mapped a curve I just assumed the table was turned off.

Edited by TomScrut

I ran into this in the spring when writing some stuff for a big layout.  The
LokSound V5 Decoders come in two types -  those for the US and those for Europe (including UK).

The US types are the "DCC" type, and support CV2,5,6,  in the past they were called "Select".   

The Europe/UK types support only the 28 point curve, though CV's 2 and 5 set the bottom and top of the speed range, replacing CV's 67 and 94 respectively, which cannot be user-adjusted.    So, for the typical decoders available from UK sound producers, you have CV2, CV5, and then CV68-93 for the steps between. 

Both the LokProgrammer and JMRI deal with this correctly. 

- Nigel

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I ran into this in the spring when writing some stuff for a big layout.  The
LokSound V5 Decoders come in two types -  those for the US and those for Europe (including UK).

The US types are the "DCC" type, and support CV2,5,6,  in the past they were called "Select".   

The Europe/UK types support only the 28 point curve, though CV's 2 and 5 set the bottom and top of the speed range, replacing CV's 67 and 94 respectively, which cannot be user-adjusted.    So, for the typical decoders available from UK sound producers, you have CV2, CV5, and then CV68-93 for the steps between. 

Both the LokProgrammer and JMRI deal with this correctly. 

- Nigel

Very interesting. So if understand correctly the ones marked as dcc are for the US market. I am fairly sure I have got these from my last order to lippe

20 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Very interesting. So if understand correctly the ones marked as dcc are for the US market. I am fairly sure I have got these from my last order to lippe

No idea what you were shipped, but the Europe versions are usually labelled "DCC / MM / SX / M4", ie. multiprotocol.   The US are labelled as just "DCC". 
It was my understanding that ESU are fairly careful about keeping US/EU markets apart, but possible that hasn't happened. 

• Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Yes but are pretty readily available. I buy them as they are a couple of quid cheaper and I have no need for DC functionality.

4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes but are pretty readily available. I buy them as they are a couple of quid cheaper and I have no need for DC functionality.

Both types support DC running.   The differences are in the other digital protocols, the acceleration multipliers (get different rates of acceleration/deceleration for the same CV values), and the way speed curves work.

I don't know if there are sound file differences (there were on the V4 Select types).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1