RMweb

Ex-LNER & LMS Locos on Western Region Mainlines around 1950

Alexander H

• RMweb Gold

My 4mm layout at home is inspired by the junction at Frome (Somerset) on the GWR mainline, where a branch line leads off, eventually going all the way to Bristol, which is 25 miles away. The period is around 1950. Now, I don't usually collect LNER locos, but a very nice A3 has come into my possession (a renumbered Hornby 60053 Sansovino with a home depot miles away in Gateshead I believe). I was wondering if there any possible excuse I could find for running an A3 "special" through Frome. The same question goes for an ex-LMS Royal Scot I have tucked away. Otherwise I shall find them a good home with someone else. Thank you for helping, Alex Holmes

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Alexander H
forgot to attach a file

Question is. Do you like them? If you are looking for excuses to use them suggests you do.

You wouldn't have any problem with Royal Scots at Bristol. They were regulars. Note the trains are going to Bristol Temple Meads from Birmingham.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br1813.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br1842.htm

It's finding an excuse for an A3. Railtour possibly. Train going to a horse racing meeting. Football special.

If it was a V2 then it would be easier as some worked on the WR when the Kings were withdrawn for a while due to bogie problems in the 1950s.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Jason. I love the fact about the V2s. They are a favourite of mine and I shall look out for one now. In answer to your question, I do like the "foreign" locos I want to run. We all have limits to what rules we can break in creating a model and for me there has to be at least a vaguely plausible chance of a loco running on my stretch of line. I also like your suggestion of football and race specials. I'll look into that. Thanks again

• Like 1