• RMweb Premium

I always try to fit Gibson wheels only once, sometimes the driven axle gets fitted twice if I have to remove the gearbox for painting. I would be wary of using any solvents near plastic wheels. Some types/sizes of Gibson wheels are a bit looser on the axles than others (4844P is one of these) and in this case I usually knurl the axle ends a little by rolling a coarse file on them.

It's only a very light wipe and I've never noticed any degredation of the wheels over the several (many!) years I've been doing this.  The lighter fuel evaporates very quickly in any case.  When I'm building chassis I tend to fit and remove wheels/axles quite frequently to check clearances, smoothness of running, painting frames etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a progress update on the J2 with work having proceeded on the test build of the cab and smokebox.  Another case of one step forward and one step backward.

The step backward related to problems with forming the cab.  There were two problem areas:  the cut outs in the front sheet of the cab to clear the splashers and the boxes over the frames was the wrong shape and I have had to add some brass to obtain a closer fit.  The bigger issue was I'd had miscalculated the length of the cab side sheet wrapper by a horrendous 4mm.  Eventually I realised I hadn't added the 2mm each side caused by the curve in the footplate.  I made an attempt to splice in an extra 4mm in the middle of the roof but its less than perfect and so once I have a new set of etches I will build a new replacement cab, but it'll do for now.

IMG_5320.jpg.a4d061b1117c9c21ee0b8be1d5e4361e.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg.21a3ac114c0add4b6e0e14d8e27ddf8b.jpg

The smokebox has been far more successful and will not require any adjustment.  I have therefore gone ahead and added the piston valve tail rod castings.  The tail rods are a major characteristic of the J2's and it is these along with the main piston tail rods that distinguish the J2 from a J1.

Before soldering the wrapper to the smoke box's frame I filled it with lead.  Whilst this is a relatively small space it has provided a useful 60gms of additional ballast.

IMG_5319.jpg.27b9e7ac47feb44d92b64dcee4d7a920.jpg

The last etched components to fit will be the combined firebox and boiler.  The component parts are now sat on my workbench awaiting rolling and assembly over the next few days.

Thanks for reading,

Frank

Edited by Chuffer Davies
Re-instating Pictures
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

9 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Time for a progress update on the J2 with work having proceeded on the test build of the cab and smokebox.  Another case of one step forward and one step backward.

IMG_5320.jpg.f1efcb48007d462a5a17d9d714a30b61.jpg

The step backward related to problems with forming the cab.  There were two problem areas:  the cut outs in the front sheet of the cab to clear the splashers and the boxes over the frames was the wrong shape and I have had to add some brass to obtain a closer fit.  The bigger issue was I'd had miscalculated the length of the cab side sheet wrapper by a horrendous 4mm.  Eventually I realised I hadn't added the 2mm each side caused by the curve in the footplate.  I made an attempt to splice in an extra 4mm in the middle of the roof but its less than perfect and so once I have a new set of etches I will build a new replacement cab, but it'll do for now.

IMG_5321.jpg.7bd04c770183c85f6abaddafaab6b094.jpg

The smokebox has been far more successful and will not require any adjustment.  I have therefore gone ahead and added the piston valve tail rod castings.  The tail rods are a major characteristic of the J2's and it is these along with the main piston tail rods that distinguish the J2 from a J1.

Before soldering the wrapper to the smoke box's frame I filled it with lead.  Whilst this is a relatively small space it has provided a useful 60gms of additional ballast.

IMG_5319.jpg.66926f0bed873bbe0af8e7368568f7f2.jpg

The last etched components to fit will be the combined firebox and boiler.  The component parts are now sat on my workbench awaiting rolling and assembly over the next few days.

Thanks for reading,

Frank

Clever design and workmanship , Frank and it is coming along nicely . Thank you , too , for explaining your “mistake” which I call experience . It is so helpful to us lesser modellers to learn from your craftsmanship and example ; particularly that it is possible to rectify them and move on .
Ken 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 1466 said:

Clever design and workmanship , Frank and it is coming along nicely . Thank you , too , for explaining your “mistake” which I call experience . It is so helpful to us lesser modellers to learn from your craftsmanship and example ; particularly that it is possible to rectify them and move on .
Ken 

Hi Ken, 

for those wondering about venturing into the world of bespoke etching I think it is best to look at this as an aid to scratch building and recognise that if mistakes have been made it is going to be cheaper to fix them on the go rather than order a replacement set of etches.   Each time a new set of etches (brass for the superstructure and n/silver for the chassis) are ordered you are looking at a 3 figure cost.

In my case I intend to offer my artwork to John at LRM and so I will have to correct the errors in my artwork and take the financial hit of ordering new photo tools and test etches from the suppliers.  In which case I have the luxury of a new set of etched components from which I can build a replacement cab.  

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that modellers who can deliver good results fall into two schools.  The best are able to get things right first time, but modellers like me only achieve good results because we have the patience to keep correcting our mistakes multiple times until we eventually get it right.  

Happy modelling,

Frank

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

I don’t think I’m alone in saying that modellers who can deliver good results fall into two schools.  The best are able to get things right first time, but modellers like me only achieve good results because we have the patience to keep correcting our mistakes multiple times until we eventually get it right.  

I believe anyone in the first category is accomplished in particular aspects of their modelling - as you clearly are. It is worth remembering that many people do not share the trials and mistakes to reach anything that does get shared. We can learn from our own mistakes and those of others. Those that fall into your first category have almost certainly been in the second for quite some time. 

• Like 2

This week has once again been a mixture of successes and disappointments concerning progress with the test build of the J2.  Last week I built the combined boiler and smokebox assembly.    Unfortunately once this was bolted between the cab and smoke box it revealed a 1mm mis-alignment between the fronts of the valve chest and the sand boxes.  The alignment of these items is very obvious when examining prototype photographs and so I will need to adjust the length of  the boiler's wrapper in the CAD artwork.  This means that there will be a hiatus whilst I rework the CAD design and send it off to obtain the replacement etches.  I can use this time to build the LRM tender for my J2 but its frustrating none the less.

IMG_5394.jpg.3169b9a89b23028f041cd9085cf9c607.jpg

Another item that is bugging me is the amount of unfilled space under the boiler where the valve gear should be. 

IMG_5396.jpg.26eabb2554f3ce7ad9e31aa7204f467d.jpg

The J2 had piston valves rather than slide valves increasing the pitch of the boiler by 3 or so inches.  I am now wrestling with my conscience with regards whether or not to design some cosmetic valve gear with which to fill this void.  There are several issues not the least is the fact that there are no archived reference drawings (as far as I can determine) of the J2's valve gear.  I obtained a frame drawing from the NRM but the only details provided in this were the pitch of the cylinders, the position of the crank arm at the far end of the reach rod, and the brake gear.    I have drawings showing the valve gear arrangement for the Q2 (another Ivatt design around the same time as the J2) but the position of the reach rod's crank arm is very different indicating that there must be material differences in their respective valve gear.  This is how I solutioned it for the Q2:

IMG_2344.jpg.7dcf149e21dac3a6707aaf56ae080de4.jpg You will note that the position of the valve gear on the Q2 is such that it slots into a housing at the rear of the smoke box.  I would therefore need to build a new smokebox for my J2 which means given all the other corrections I now need to make the only element of the version 1 test build that will survive will be footplate at this rate. 

Such is life, I'll let you know what I decide.

Happy modelling.

Frank

Edited by Chuffer Davies
Re-instating Pictures
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The frustration of etching errors is greatly lessened if you do more test etches, I have a more or less continuous progression of them in various materials and thicknesses. If I find an error I just add the corrected part to the next test, keeping track of what and where all these modifications are. From what you have said you are doing the whole thing again each time you find a mistake.

Hi Michael,

I think the difference is that you are developing kits for your own business and you no doubt have several models at various stages of development at any given point in time making your approach the most efficient.    In my case my primary aim is to create etches as a scratch building aid for myself and so I only have one loco under development at any one time.  

Frank,

It is a very complicated loco so it is not surprising there are little 'tweaks' that artwork-wise mean complete revisions.  I think the void below the boiler just has to be filled with cosmetic valve gear and your derivation of it will be the closest we will ever know to how it really was. You undoubtably know more about what it was likely to look like than anyone else alive today!  John at LRM can always reflect the extra cost of development with a slightly higher kit price - especially as it includes all this wonderful detail

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Frank,

It is a very complicated loco so it is not surprising there are little 'tweaks' that artwork-wise mean complete revisions.  I think the void below the boiler just has to be filled with cosmetic valve gear and your derivation of it will be the closest we will ever know to how it really was. You undoubtably know more about what it was likely to look like than anyone else alive today!  John at LRM can always reflect the extra cost of development with a slightly higher kit price - especially as it includes all this wonderful detail

Tony

Tony,

etched kits sell in small numbers, so even increasing the kit price to realistically reflect higher development costs sometimes means that it takes quite a while to recover the costs.

With two exceptions, my designs for LRM were done with only two test etches. The exceptions were one loco where I had similar issues to those experienced by Frank and were exacerbated by the lack of a decent GA drawing. With a fundamental dimensional error (as was the case on that model,) it is sometimes not possible to complete a test build far enough to see what else needs correcting. 

Jol

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely looking loco and like Tom, may I offer congratulations on getting past the difficulties?

It's tough sometimes when things don't work out as expected to maintain positivity and it can seem very tempting to give up, but like you I always make myself persevere and the satisfaction of having done so is great: hope you felt that on this job.

Doubly so when they're your own etches: that's something I haven't got anywhere near trying yet, still working with others' kits!

1 hour ago, Rail-Online said:

Looks lovely Frank and certainly captures the details of the J2 well to my eyes.

Well done.

Will we get a video of running trials of it with 40 wagons behind the tender?

Cheers Tony

Thank you for your comments.

I’ll certainly provide a video in due course but it won’t be for several months because of the delay whilst it gets painted.  I’ve not even test run it in the brass this time because I can’t install the drive shaft in the tender until the frames have been painted.  It runs okay as a push-a-long so I can be confident I’ll be able to get it running okay when it is finally assembled.  

You may not have spotted that I haven’t actually performed a haulage test on the J1 as yet. I’m confident that the J1 and J2 will both perform adequately given my success with the J7’s but perhaps I’ll check out the J1 next time I’m at the club.
Regards,

Frank

• 1 month later...

Hi Frank

I’m making steady progress with your chassis kit for the Bachmann C1. I’ve got to point of a free running rolling chassis. There’s a surprising amount of space under the body to fit a P4 chassis, certainly no need to thin the inside of the splashers until they are wafer thin, the only adjustment I had to make was a little material of the back of the middle footsteps. 

The next step is getting power to the motor and then the brakes, which look entertaining. 

IMG_3734.jpg

• Like 2

Hi,

thank you for posting your progress so far.  I hope you will find the brake gear okay to build, you may regret to discover its an area I particularly enjoy modelling in detail and so there are plenty of components to be soldered up.  You may choose to simplify it but if you go the whole hog I think you will enjoy seeing the end result.

Please keep on posting progress.

Frank

• 2 months later...

As usual, although I attempt to progress projects one at a time, I have had to interrupt loco building. 

We have all but ironed out the last few 'bugs' (a software term) effecting the operation of our Clayton layout.  At the heart of the operation of the layout and its three associated control panels, are around 70 custom designed micro processor boards.  The processor boards have been designed and programmed by Bill Wyatt-Millington (chairman of the EMGS) an electronics engineer by profession.  I helped to specify how these boards would interface with the devices under the layout and the switches and LEDs of the control panel. What all the switches do, and how the devices under the layout and in the panels are triggered (point motors, servos, LEDs etc.) is all controlled by rules encoded in an Excel spreadsheet.

There is still one major element missing from the fiddle yard, this being a turntable with 11 locomotive storage roads.  We cannot finally sign off the electronics until we have an operational turntable and so I have interrupted my locomotive construction to build one. Various commercial solutions were considered, but as well as the associated cost of many of these the main problem I kept coming up against was the depth that these structures occupied under the base board.  Our base boards are 4 inches deep and generally the commercial mechanisms would stick out below the board and therefore be very vulnerable to damage.  I kept coming back to an old unmade Airfix turntable kit that I have had in a cupboard for thirty or more years.  The design is remarkably shallow requiring a well depth of only 6.5mm, but even if I could get it to turn freely enough I would still need a mechanism to drive it.  A recent visit to my good friend Karl Crowther turned up a possible solution from the MERG.  Their solution uses a stepper motor and 1/250 gearbox from RS Components having a total depth of only 2 inches below the base board's surface.

I have therefore been working on an upgrade to the Airfix turntable in the hope that I could make it operational.  I ordered four small ball races (8mm o/d x 2.5mm width) to replace the carrying wheels on the outriggers, and I also ordered a slightly larger ball race (15mm o/d x 6mm i/d) to be the central bearing to take the majority of the weight of the table plus locomotive.  The turntable was modified to accept these various ball bearings and a new central brass axle was turned up on the lathe and stuck over the original plastic axle on the underside of the table.

IMG_7264.jpg.a1e652117638323daf002aac9326634d.jpg 

Initial experimentation revealed that the turntable turned freely when unloaded but as soon as a locomotive was placed on top the plastic out riggers flexed too much causing the underside of the table to scrape on the walkway forming part of the base ring of the table.  An attempt to remove material from the underside of the table to achieve the required clearances was unsuccessful.  Today I solved the problem by reinforcing the outrigger supports with nickel silver strengtheners, and this appears to have cured the problem.  The table now turns freely even with my heaviest locomotive (currently a Q2) atop it.

IMG_7277.jpg.d35a4d2a51fc3d3c2e8beb7fbcd18037.jpg

(Reinforced Outrigger)

The last modification required has been to install a split brass ring on the underside of the table within its central pivot to facilitate the transfer of track current to the rails on top.  Two plunger pickups will be installed in the base of the table to rub against this split ring.

IMG_7265.jpg.acb1405dfdce85801769b53acbc5db33.jpg

(Split ring for transfer of track current.  N.B. lower outriggers prior to addition of n/silver strengthening)

IMG_7275.jpg.8f028c23f0525b144b0962219bc32d53.jpg

(Sprung plungers for transfer of track current)

Bill will construct the MERG control board (supplied as a kit of parts) and will then code the software changes required to interface his micro processor boards with the table's control board.  In the mean time I will install the turntable on the layout along with its associated storage tracks and will wire it all in in preparation for Bill's changes.

I've really enjoyed this  project as its been something a bit different for a change. I've painted the table black as there is no point in going to town on it because its in the fiddle yard.  I've also not bothered adding the finer detail because it will be vulnerable to damage and is not required anyway.  I have to say that I have gained considerable respect for the original designers of this Airfix kit as it is actually mechanically designed to very tight tolerances.  If it were not for the amount of flex in the plastic this would have been a fairly straight forward conversion.  

Thanks for reading,

Frank

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Frank, nice job!

Can I ask though, assuming I've understood correctly about those two plunger pickups transferring current to the two semi-circular brass pieces beneath the deck, what happens if the 'table reaches a point in its revolution where each pickup touches both plates, even if on momentarily? Wouldn't that cause a short circuit? Or does it not revolve to that point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Frank, nice job!

Can I ask though, assuming I've understood correctly about those two plunger pickups transferring current to the two semi-circular brass pieces beneath the deck, what happens if the 'table reaches a point in its revolution where each pickup touches both plates, even if on momentarily? Wouldn't that cause a short circuit? Or does it not revolve to that point?

Hi Chas, 

you are absolutely correct in your deductions. Probably not an issue if we were only using analogue control, but Clayton is a hybrid layout which also provides a DCC option for loco control.  Shorting out the track feed whilst DCC is selected would cause the command unit to drop the feed for the entire zone, not a good idea!
 To mitigate against this we will interrupt the track power to the table whilst it is rotating by means of a relay.  This has the added advantage that there is no risk of accidentally moving a locomotive either on the table itself or on one of its storage tracks until it has come to rest in-line with the selected track.  
Frank

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2022 at 10:56, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Chas, 

you are absolutely correct in your deductions. Probably not an issue if we were only using analogue control, but Clayton is a hybrid layout which also provides a DCC option for loco control.  Shorting out the track feed whilst DCC is selected would cause the command unit to drop the feed for the entire zone, not a good idea!
 To mitigate against this we will interrupt the track power to the table whilst it is rotating by means of a relay.  This has the added advantage that there is no risk of accidentally moving a locomotive either on the table itself or on one of its storage tracks until it has come to rest in-line with the selected track.  
Frank

Of course! I'd like to say I did think of simply cutting the current in an automated way... but I didn't!! Maybe next time...🙂

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...