Tolgarrick Road TMD

gwrman

Hi guys thought it was time I told you about Tolgarrick Road TMD, my blue diesel maintenence depot with refueling, fuel unloading and stabling point. It's 8' x 2' in size and will be controlled by a powercab with smart booster.

I've included some pictures of my inspection pits to which I've fitted LED's 10 in each, like to know what you think.

Nigel.cool.gif

post-7318-125666309034_thumb.jpg

post-7318-12566631505598_thumb.jpg

post-7318-12566632556562_thumb.jpg

post-7318-1256663316501_thumb.jpg

Love the idea of the lights in the inspection pits - may have to steal that one!

How large a shed will you have - is it just the two lengths of track with the pits?

Hi, thanks, their spaced for the Bachmann Modern Diesel Depot but I'm thinking of moving the siding next to the pits over slightly and scratch building a three track shed,because I've got three sets of Bachmann loco jacks on order.

By the way the LED's are 2mm x 5mm rectangular LED's.

Nigel.cool.gif

The pits with the lighting will look great, without a doudt its one thing I wish I had done

on my layout as it stands out a mile (for the wrong reason!) when operating in the dark.

No real way of fitting now so will just have to put up with it I guess...

Lessions you learn as you go along I guess!

Anyway watching this thread with interest...

cheers

Keith

Nice use of the LED's. I did something similar several months ago on a project which is now in the bin. I used yellow surface mount LED's under the steel plates which Peco provide to bridge the gap in the pit. There is a pic here. (Apologies for a link instead of pic but the image is quite large and I'm not sure on how to resize it)

Cheers

Martin

The layout is coming on well icon_thumbsup2.gif keep it up!

I really like your pits is it ok if I can do the same to my pits when they arrive through the post??

Cheers

George

Hi George, I'll give you a tip, paint the sides and back of the LED with white enamel just leaving the lense free from paint to direct the light outwards. Then put a strip of black insulating tape around the sides to stop light seepage.

Nigelcool.gif

I like your lights in the pits as well.

I did not fit lights - but I did the inspection pit and Bachmann shed thang on my current (and first) layout.

I may manage to transfer it over at the weekend - and don't want to hijack your thread with a photo.

If you are interested - "Blue with Yellow Faces" in old Layouts. Early 80's banger blue.

I am looking forward to following your progress - but since you have started better than me I reserve the right to flounce off in a big huff - if you keep this up.

Stuart

Hi George, I'll give you a tip, paint the sides and back of the LED with white enamel just leaving the lense free from paint to direct the light outwards. Then put a strip of black insulating tape around the sides to stop light seepage.

Nigelcool.gif

Hello Nigel,

thanks for tip I will try and track down the LEDs and tape. Still waiting for my Inspection Pits hopefully arrive later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again

George

Hello Nigel,

thanks for tip I will try and track down the LEDs and tape. Still waiting for my Inspection Pits hopefully arrive later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again

George

Hi George, I got mine from Component-Shop in the ultra bright section or their E-bay shop is called itl-e.

Nigelcool.gif

Hi George, I got mine from Component-Shop in the ultra bright section or their E-bay shop is called itl-e.

Nigelcool.gif

Hi Nigel

I have had a bit of bother trying to get hold of those LEDs, I came so close to ordering them and I cant due to me not been 18 years old for ebayicon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif (Hurry up march!!) and so I havent been able to get the LEDs but I went and had a look on Express models website and they have a load of LEDs that are ultra bright and so I ordered them from there and they are the 0.8mm surface mount white LEDs. Im hoping that when they arrive they are easy to install icon_e_confused.gif Hows your layout coming on?? I am most definetly whatching this thread biggrin.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers for the help

George

Hi Nigel

I have had a bit of bother trying to get hold of those LEDs, I came so close to ordering them and I cant due to me not been 18 years old for ebayicon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif (Hurry up march!!) and so I havent been able to get the LEDs but I went and had a look on Express models website and they have a load of LEDs that are ultra bright and so I ordered them from there and they are the 0.8mm surface mount white LEDs. Im hoping that when they arrive they are easy to install icon_e_confused.gif Hows your layout coming on?? I am most definetly whatching this thread biggrin.gif cool.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers for the help

George

Hi again George,

you just have to be a bit careful with the soldering iron with those ones. Next job on my layout for me is to fit point motors (I managed to get enough ZTC 302 point motors to do the whole layout ) and droppers down to the bus wires.

Nigelcool.gif

Hi again George,

you just have to be a bit careful with the soldering iron with those ones. Next job on my layout for me is to fit point motors (I managed to get enough ZTC 302 point motors to do the whole layout ) and droppers down to the bus wires.

Nigelcool.gif

Hi Nigel

point motors are the next job on Greenwood, really not looking forward to thatsad.gif Hopefully will be getting some help with mine from the club.

Keep up the work

Cheers

George

Hi Nigel

point motors are the next job on Greenwood, really not looking forward to thatsad.gif Hopefully will be getting some help with mine from the club.

Keep up the work

Cheers

George

Hi again,

My only hold up is I'm also working on constructing an DCC exhibition layout for our club at the moment so I'm having to do scratch building and things at home for that as well. (see picture)

Nigel.

post-7318-12568962901172_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

Looking really good I dirtied our pit roads up with Badab Black wash from Games Workshop works really well.

Xerces Fobe

Hi Xerces Fobe

When I get the hard standing put in around the pits it will be painted to look like concrete then weathered and given a oilly look wash also the bottom of the pits.

Nigel.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I must be the only person saying thank god for the snow, because its given me the excuse to stay in and consentrate on my layout. I've wired the bus wire, droppers and got the DCC system working on it. After being so busy with our club layout, this week with the snow I couldn't get to the club. I'll upload some photo's as soon as I take some. icon_thumbsup2.gif Nigel icon_thumbsup2.gif

• 5 months later...

Hi, just thought I'd add an update on the layout, I've moved it to Hayle MRC and am working on it with a friend of mine now, two heads are better than one they say. We're going to add another 4' board for a fiddle yard with scenic in front and maybe a slight change of track layout. Also we're fitting electrofrog points for more reliable running.

cool.gif Nigel

• 2 months later...

Archived