Which Couplings (Limby HST and Ratio / Parkside Wagons)

I'm trying to work out what replacement couplings to order for my Lima and Hornby (Railroad) IC125(s) and Ratio kit-built wagons.

With the original tension locks supplied with the kit, my Ratio kit-built wagons appeared to hate 2nd radius curves (including Setrack points) which I think was a least partly due to the couplings (which were rather stiffer than the tension locks supplied with modern RTR).

On the advice of this topic I have ordered a pack of Parkside's PA34 Mounting Blocks For Bachmann NEM Coupling Pockets but the pockets only seem to be supplied with Bachmann's DMU couplings or narrow tension locks (I have an Airfix RTR wagon with narrow tension locks and these seem rather unrealiable) - can I get them with wider tension locks (my best guess is that I need an uncranked version of the tension locks Hornby supplied on my RailRoad Blue & Grey IC125 power cars)?

For the IC125, I think the DMU couplings would be better than the tension locks supplied (on the basis that they provide great close coupling between the vehicles of my Bachmann 158s (old tooling)). However, I can only find the DMU couplings cranked down, whereas the Railroad power cars have couplings which are cranked up. Maybe Hornby have something suitable since recent batches of their slam-door mark 3s appear to have (from internet photos) a version of the Bachmann DMU couplings.

• 3 weeks later...

I've now managed to identify Hornby's version of the Bachmann DMU couplings, X10632 Electrotren NEM Close Coupling, but still cannot find a cranked version for the HST power cars. Does anyone know whether a) the Hornby Electrotren couplings are compatible with Bachmann's DMU couplings and b) whether there is a cranked version of the Electrotren couplings for use with Hornby's IC125 power cars (if not, what are modellers supposed to use with the R4780 and R4852 TGS coaches, which appear to be supplied with Electrotren couplings?)?

Regarding the Ratio wagons, I have now found Hornby X6879 (Class 67 Accessory Bag) on Peters Spares. Apparently, this includes X2 Large Couplings, X2 Small Couplings, Dummy Hooks,  Vacuum Pipes plus other small parts. Does anyone know the part number for the large couplings as I think they might be what I'm after for my wagons? I have no need of the other items in the accessory bag so don't want to have to buy the whole lot.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I tried hunt couplings (the HST sets) on a 2 car plus 7 coach (LNER farewell) train with minimum 32" radius curves, greater than 4th radius, and was disappointed as I encountered frequent mid rake derailments. So i switched to the supplied Electrotren couplings except for the power car to coach connection and problem solved.  So, get the hunt couplings for the power car ro coach connection and use the Electrotren couplings for coach to coach.  See the video.   This is an original 1980s HST with latest bogies and drive motor, DCC, Lights, sound plus stay alive.   All rolling stock converted to EM gauge.

Edited by NFWEM57