Composition of minimal GWR permanent way maintenance train circa 1946?

Stringfingerling

I'm trying to figure out what vehicles might be included in a minimum length GWR permanent way maintenance train around 1946.  One end of my layout, "LLanidris" has trackwork terminating in flood damage and a bridge that has been weakened by flooding.  This never ending problem for the PW team seems like a good excuse for a train :)
The question is; would such a train ever have been as minimal as a loco, brake van, 4 wheel carriage for the workers and one other vehicle for materials and tools?

• 2 weeks later...

Why not?  If the PW staff had to travel for some distance then that train is possible. However for minor jobs a trip in the loco cab or a toad would suffice and if the guys were local then the chance of a mess coach is pretty unlikely. 1946 was real austerity years and the railways were so run down that anything goes.

Tony

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Have a look at these from an early BR Western Notice to Enginemen (1948), they gives some idea about the consist of engineer's trains in those days, it might answer your question.  I've collected these over the years from different regions and eras.

Many of the details in this notice (it's packed full) show a brake third or workmen's coach to get the PWay workers to and from site, along with open wagons (Starfish, planked, etc), a crane and/or ballast wagons (doesn't specify 'hoppers') with brake van(s). There are also references to Motor Trolleys (Wickham or prior to those) being used on some works in the more remote parts of the Western Region at that time, as well as 'Road Motors' or parcels vans to use for transport.

Fascinating stuff, 1189522971_IMG_20210209_1657151.jpg.aca43a8d935b0cab3207f4cc0a818e72.jpgeven gives the Inspector's name for each worksite. 

IMG_20210209_165525[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2