Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MJE GWR Brass Smoke Box Number Plates, Painting Numbers White

The Modelmaster Jackson Evans GWR Steam Number plate sets come with BR smokebox plates as well as the cabside plates.  The smokebox plates have numerals that are brass coloured, like the cabside plates. 

Any tips in regards to painting the numbers on the smokebox plates white?  I have decals, and I was going to go that route for the smokebox numbers, but the MJE plates are really nice, colour aside...

• RMweb Premium

There’s two reasonable ways  to get there. 
Spray the whole plate gloss white and leave to dry entirely. Once dry apply black paint, wait until nearly dry, and then rub the face of the plate across some paper. That should leave the numbers white. I use gloss white as the finish reduces any texture for the top black coat to get trapped in.

The less labour intensive way is dry brushing the numbers until they are white, and using thin washes of black to backfill the lowest areas of the plate.

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Gold

I’ve used MJE plates for many years and been very happy with them apart from this aspect, using ‘method 1’ with varying degrees of success.  My most recent acquisition, a Hornby 5101 which I have renumbered as 4144, is a departure from this and has Railtec transfers (the main number plates have relief, but the xfers are waterslide).  These have the advantage of not having to be cut from a fret and fettled, and you have a few minutes to fine tune the positioning, and the smokebox numbers are superb.   The ‘brass’ cabside plates are a tad bright, but easily toned down.