ECoS Firmware 3.2.0 Released

ESU have released Firmware Update 3.2.0.

There are separate versions for the mono ECoS 1 (50000) and the colour ECoS 2 (50200) in their respective download sections on the ESU web site. You will only be able to see and download the updated formware if you are a registered user of the ESU support forum and have given ESU the Serial number of your ECoS.

This brings the functionality of the colour ECoS to the mono version, but in black & white.

As far as the colour ECoS is concerned it seems to be mainly bugfixes. No loading of our own loco images, yet, but ESU said last week "...it is not possible now, but it is already on the very top of our "to-do" list. ".

A word of warning to ECoS1 users with Touchcab. ESU have changed the PC interface from that used in Firmware 3.0.x as used on EcoS1. So if you are an ECoS1 owner using Touchcab, ESU have previously said that upgrading to 3.2.0 will mean that you will start experiencing the same difficulties as users of the colour ECoS have been having with Touchcab. ESU have said that the change to the interface was made as part of the preparatory work to enable us to load our own loco images in a future release of the firmware, see above.

The PC interface changes do not affect the ECoSControl Radio.

Do the firmware changes mean that ProBox is now supported?

Andi

Hi Andy,

I can't remember seeing anything about Pro-Box in either set of release notes, and ESU haven't said that it does now work with Pro-Box via ECoSLink in their post announcing the update on their Forum. What they did say, in relation to the ECoS 1, was:

"Furthermore, here is a (incomplete) list of new features:

• All scrollbars are now clickable.
  • Functions are now numbered 0...x.
  • Functions >15 can be accessed via the "16+" button.
  • Function symbols are assigned by loco edit -> properties.
  • Symbols for ECoSControl radio can be assigned for each loco.
  • The tachometer is now clickable in the whole area.
  • The switchboard is grouped in 5 tab groups containing 15 tabs each.
  • Used tabs are marked by a filled square.
  • The Configuration of the switchboard has been simplified.
  • Decoder programming functions in the setup are now better structured.
  • Loco selection: Filters are used so that locos without the selected attributes (loco type, loco list) are not shown in the list.
  • The touchscreen can be calibrated
  • Enhanced reliability when switching items and routes.
  • Enhanced reliablility and optimized feedback speed for s88 feedbacks
  • and of course many further enhancements"

I was assuming that ESU would have included the functionality to interconnect Navigator, and presumably Pro-Box, via ECoSLink once Navigator went on sale in Germany (apparently German dealers took their first deliveries last week). Looks like the only way to find out might be to update the firmware on ECoS and try it again.

• RMweb Gold

Progress report:

Having updated the software on my mono ECoS to 3.2.0 I've plugged ProBox into the ECoSLink port.

Going into the setup menu of ECoS and clicking on LINK shows ProBox in the list!

When the Dynamis handset is switched on it asks to reset the loco list.

The handset shows the ECoS symbol.

Calling up a loco on ECoS that was previously selected on Dynamis seems to cause Dynamis to revert to Loco 3.

It looks like it might work, now all I have to do is get out a test track and a loco.

Reporting back shortly

Andi

• RMweb Gold

It looks like it might work, now all I have to do is get out a test track and a loco.

Reporting back shortly

No go sad.gif

For some reason I cannot control the loco from the Dynamis. It is in the roster of Dynamis, it's saved into the roster of ProBox, it's in the roster of ECoS but it refuses to play. I can drive it from ECoS....

Any suggestions?

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I have posted the following on the ESU forum.

I have an ECoS 50000 which I want to use with my Bachmann Dynamis set.

I have the ProBox for Dynamis as well. The ProBox is an ECoSLINK compatable unit.

I've updated my ECoS to firmware version 3.2.0 today

When I connect the two systems I can see the ProBox in the menu of ECoSLINK devices from ECoS. The Dynamis display shows that it is connected to ECoS.

When I call up a loco from Dynamis I cannot control it.

I can drive the loco from ECoS with no problems.

The loco is stored in the roster of both systems with its correct DCC address (8501)

If I disconnect the ECoSLINK cable I can drive the loco from the dynmais set on its own without problems so I know that Dynamis is working.

Help please?

Thanks

Hopefully I might have some answers..

Andi

Andi,

It sounded promising, so sorry that it still isn't working.

Just a long shot, but there is a tick box on ECoS setup that allows you to take control of a loco, see page 35 Section 21.3.1 of the colour ECoS manual, as that now applies to the mono ECoS now that is in FW 3.2.0. Do you need to tick that?

A word of warning to ECoS1 users with Touchcab. ESU have changed the PC interface from that used in Firmware 3.0.x as used on EcoS1. So if you are an ECoS1 owner using Touchcab, ESU have previously said that upgrading to 3.2.0 will mean that you will start experiencing the same difficulties as users of the colour ECoS have been having with Touchcab.

Yep, trouble ahead.

TouchCab version 1.5 which handles all of this is very close to final, but last minute issues with ECoS 2 have surfaced, and they need to be ironed out before release.

Best regards,

Jens

TouchCab

As ESU have changed the PC interface then all PC programs that interface with the ECoS Firmware are likely to be affected.

I mentioned TouchCab in my original post as ESU had specifically made reference to it in their reply to a post on their users forum.

The problem will remain until the software companies issue new versions of their software, in which case the only option for people using PC software to control their layout will be to postpone updating to 3.2.0 until a new version of their PC software is released that is compatible with Firmware 3.2.0. If you don't use a PC or TouchCab with your ECoS then you are probably safe to go ahead and update to 3.2.0.

I have done my ECoS as I don't use PC software, at least not yet.

• RMweb Gold

As ESU have changed the PC interface then all PC programs that interface with the ECoS Firmware are likely to be affected.

I mentioned TouchCab in my original post as ESU had specifically made reference to it in their reply to a post on their users forum.

The problem will remain until the software companies issue new versions of their software, in which case the only option for people using PC software to control their layout will be to postpone updating to 3.2.0 until a new version of their PC software is released that is compatible with Firmware 3.2.0. If you don't use a PC or TouchCab with your ECoS then you are probably safe to go ahead and update to 3.2.0.

I have done my ECoS as I don't use PC software, at least not yet.

I was able to control a loco from JMRI last night biggrin.gif

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Andi,

It sounded promising, so sorry that it still isn't working.

Just a long shot, but there is a tick box on ECoS setup that allows you to take control of a loco, see page 35 Section 21.3.1 of the colour ECoS manual, as that now applies to the mono ECoS now that is in FW 3.2.0. Do you need to tick that?

Just tried that, the box was already ticked, so I tried unticking and saving, then re ticking and saving, no difference sad.gif

Andi

I was able to control a loco from JMRI last night biggrin.gif

Andi

Glad to hear its not just me using it :). From the looks of things (my German is nil) and going through old posts on the ESU forum, it appears that the changes are primarily around the handling of function icons in preparation for user up-loadable versions. Loco & turnout control appear to be unchanged.

Regards

Kevin

TouchCab version 1.5 which handles all of this is very close to final, but last minute issues with ECoS 2 have surfaced, and they need to be ironed out before release.

For the record, TouchCab v1.5 with full support for ECoS/ECoS 2 v3.2.0 has now been uploaded for approval.

Expect release within a week or so.

Jens

UPDATE 11/6-2010: Released today.

Archived