Help with semaphore signals

I'm modelling the Eastern portal area of Standedge tunnel in n-gauge after a long break - I am struggling with my lack of knowledge of signalling and need to work out what are the correct semaphore signals to use.

If you look at this picture at the top of a post on the old site (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36484) the 2 signals are visible - my question is, are they upper or lower quadrant signals and have I bought the right or wrong (I suspect wrong) Ratio signal kits?

I have bought one "Single post signal kit (lower)" (Ratio item 260) and one "LMS single post signal" (Ratio item 270 - I think this is an upper quadrant signal?).

Should they both be the LMS single post (upper quadrant) type or have I got it right in that one is upper and one lower quadrant?? (I suspect not). Apologies for my ignorance and thanks in advance for any help!

Best wishes, Phil.

Hi Phil

The starter in the loop is upper quadrant and the down distant is definitely upper quadrant as per photo in Pennine steam page 66 (ian allan). hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks so much Pete - as ever this forum amazes me! Thanks so much for the rapid response - I guess that I need to put in an order for another Ratio upper quadrant signal then!

• RMweb Gold

I think the distant was an ex LNWR wooden post with upper quadrant fittings and the starter was a tubular steel - I might have some better photos in my collection of books so if no-one knows for certain I will try and have a look for you.

They are certainly uppers as Pete has already answered

Archived