Synchronised point motors

jamesinyk

To state the obvious the switch needs to be  passing contact when using solenoids   I use an on/on selector switch for selection with a separate spring loaded energising switch.  One issue  with one switch for two motors is each only gets half the power compared to one motor one switch.    If the other points have their own switch it can mean the crossover can be sluggish to throw or the single points get more power than they need and bang over really positively which can loosen point blades in the tie bar..

I throw up to 5 at a time by using a hefty CDU. I've never had a problem with the point blades on the points that are single operation from the same CDU. A pair of push to make buttons are the easiest and cheapest way to control points with solenoid motors.

If you want to get more adventurous you can do route setting by having a diode matrix. I have two six road storage sidings and on the control panel I just have 12 push buttons, one for each siding. When I push the button for the desired siding all the points change to that road. 

I use slow-action MTB MP1 point motors, controlled via DCC by means of DR4018 units. These have a relatively low current demand and so there is no need for anything like a CDU. I routinely switch pairs of turnouts together using a single channel on the DR4018 (which means that both points have the same DCC address). It would be possible to switch more than 2 turnouts together, but I don't yet have any instances where this is useful. The MP1 motors have a built-in switch for handling stuff like electrofrog polarity.

My approach to route setting is to use computer software driving my DR5000 controller, which has the advantage of complete flexibility.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, simmo009 said:

That's fine with Insulfrog points such as SetTrack which you show, but you need to watch the frog polarity if you go to Electrofrog. 

Why? (Genuine question :wacko:)  I would have thought that the necessary IRJs between electrofrog points solve any polarity problems?  Am I missing something?

Edited by Chimer
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Chimer said:

Why? (Genuine question :wacko:)  I would have thought that the necessary IRJs between electrofrog points solve any polarity problems?  Am I missing something?

No, the IRJs do the trick every time. But not everyone realises that is necessary. It is too easy to slip up and use a conductive joiner, as I discovered this week when an infrequently-used route, laid a few months ago, proved difficult, and it turned out I'd got it wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/01/2021 at 10:39, Chimer said:

Maybe it was just me (probably was), but getting both frogs to synch was a nightmare, blade change wasn't a problem. IIRC, I was trying to use a single decoder for both points, not two decoders with the same address. That rings a bell.

Edited by simmo009
Typo
  • Thanks 1