Tunstead Moor Sidings - A scenic shunting layout

A lone fruit van that was propelled into the yard earlier waits to be moved for the first move of tomorrow. It will be shunted at dawn into the goods platform for a cursory clean before loading.

_DSC1155.JPG.dda2e3802671bfc07be873b4ba66aa67.JPG

_DSC1156.JPG.40339c208fe9ec4eed0de32d893a8c60.JPG

_DSC1158.JPG.72b6eea4c020e084b4d8da41df0db243.JPG

• Like 14

_DSC1159.JPG.c085d3d0402e30c4541664ae056eb00c.JPG

Been adding a few tiny details today such as the point levers. Think I first threatened to add these about 4 months ago, how time passes.

_DSC1162.JPG.b012b79b32c9d4bd75c089b5119f6ce5.JPG

Looking at the right of the layout we still have an issue with the bubbling I need to sort out. Here theToad has been dropped off so the emptys can be dropped off in the headshunt until later. 

_DSC1161.JPG.576b390cc477c383f86680055082800d.JPG

• Like 13

Crossing the Bridge from Tunstead High into the goods yard. 

_DSC1164.JPG.a4bbbd556c79fd69e28081aafb77cc14.JPG

The river bed/Stream needs completing but I have not settled on a method. I also need to get some etched ladders for the water tower.

_DSC1167.JPG.44674d1dfa223d84a499c10dc7c1da12.JPG

Yard sorted and a Toad awaits pick up.

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2022 at 11:24, 2996 Victor said:

Fantastic layout with beautiful scenery. Reminder, please - overall size?

All the best,

Mark

Sorry Mark only just picked up the question.

Dimensions are 136cm in Length, 37cm in depth and 39cm in height. The fiddle yard can be what you want really as it's now just a length on to which I add peco loco lifts . Usually in twos but sometimes three.

_DSC1170.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...

Bit different this morning. A little (probably very non prototypical) shunting the yard video I threw together this morning. If the video looks at times like you have been eating cakes in Amsterdam I think it's to do with the stabilisation on the phone. Very weird.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• Ighten changed the title to Tunstead Moor Sidings - A scenic shunting layout
  • RMweb Gold

What a delightful little layout, thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Despite the small size, I particularly love the feeling of spaciousness and the nicely modelled vegetation. Just the sort of 'backwater' layout I love.

You've also reminded me that I am yet to run my 48DS (along with a few other small locos), so at the very least I need to set-up a test track in lieu of actually having a layout to put it on!

Looking forward to seeing more photos/video as and when you next post them.

All the best,
Jamie

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Very nice running with the 48DS, can you share any tips on such smooth running, are your points electrofrog? 

Yes the points are all electrofrog. tbh I can't imagine how such a short base vehicle could manage anything but electro unless you keep that horrendous looking conflat wagon they have included permanently attached. Even if your not bothered by the conflats ancient tooling it's pickup design is pretty poor often resulting in it running round without it's wheels turning. As you can probably guess mines been put back in the box never to see the light of day again.

Regarding the 48ds mines run smoothly from day one after the usual 1hour running in. I use nothing more than a peco or Hornby rubber on the track. Followed by a cloth on a stick with WD contact cleaner.. (Not and Never WD40).. I use the same contact cleaner on the point blades and have also wired them. Tbh my track is not particularly even so the 48ds copes very well. One other thing probably helps, for such a small layout I did make the decision not to use small points as on fixed chassis vehicles at slow speeds your putting more resistance the tighter the curves get.

Ps on that video the power is DC with no feedback.A simple Gauge master W

Edited by Ighten

25 minutes ago, Ighten said:

Yes the points are all electrofrog. tbh I can't imagine how such a short base vehicle could manage anything but electro unless you keep that horrendous looking conflat wagon they have included permanently attached. Even if your not bothered by the conflats ancient tooling it's pickup design is pretty poor often resulting in it running round without it's wheels turning. As you can probably guess mines been put back in the box never to see the light of day again.

Regarding the 48ds mines run smoothly from day one after the usual 1hour running in. I use nothing more than a peco or Hornby rubber on the track. Followed by a cloth on a stick with WD contact cleaner.. (Not and Never WD40).. I use the same contact cleaner on the point blades and have also wired them. Tbh my track is not particularly even so the 48ds copes very well. One other thing probably helps, for such a small layout I did make the decision not to use small points as on fixed chassis vehicles at slow speeds your putting more resistance the tighter the curves get.

Ps on that video the power is DC with no feedback.A simple Gauge master W

Thank you. I've got my first ever exhibition later in the year so smooth running is something that I need to work on. What is the contact cleaner you use? 

PXL_20230214_201506222.jpg.247e84661c06cc6573ba87e4e47cf67f.jpg

The yard.... One thing I think I'll work on next is the right hand side against the "side" of the backscene.. may just wrap the country side around in the same way I did it behind the bridge and behind the goods shed.

• Like 4

Bit more of an overview looking towards to the fiddle yard exit.. some more details added including a start on etched ladders and detailing the derelict water tower, and a start made on adding a little more variety to the hedgerow tree colour to suggest new growth. Trying not to do too much.

PXL_20230217_095620505.jpg

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

Ok so looking at that photo above I posted on Thursday my eyes just bleed 🤣 when I see that spanking shiny guards van.  So it's been airbrush and powders day today.

PXL_20230326_191959204.jpg.85401c66ba50f829645a724db8c56aa4.jpg

The aim really is a simple quick technique to get it to match factory done 7 plankers. Vallejo dirt on the body and black  on the roof. Took 10mins.

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...