Servo powered semaphore signals

15 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I wonder if upping the voltage would get a more realistic speed from a servo, They always look too slow and smooth to me. while solenoids are too fast. I tried a motor driven signal. lever arm straight onto the commutator but haven't found a way to make it bounce.

The MERG Servo 4 boards allow you to control the speed of the servo.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

You can get the chip programmed to have bounce as well.

with the "Sema4" firmware and PC setting software yes. check out my blog here: 

I've developed the MERG side of things into my own solution that can drive turnouts, signals or anything really with servos via DCC commands or pushbuttons. The MERG servo mounts are good too. If you are considering servo control (or any model railway electronics) joining MERG makes a lot of sense.

18 hours ago, bgman said:

It would be nice to know having had many replies to the question, have you come to any conclusions / thoughts about how to proceed ?

Oh, someone's keen!! Well, first I'll say thanks to all for the help, yes, the replies gave me some ideas, and in the great scheme of things I've decided to go with one of two options, either Mega Points or Peco. With all other things 'on my plate' at the moment, that's as far as it goes for present - had my Covid vaccine Tuesday, and felt like **** yesterday, so waiting for my head to clear!!¬!:sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Friendly/supportive 1