16mm NG

jazz

Hi all. Thinking of having a dabble into 16mm NG starting with the Slater's quarry loco. As it may be in the garden, I am wondering about motors/gearboxes and best type of batteries to use. (Not too keen on elctric power, been there and done that with 7mm standard gauge and spent too much time on track maintenance to keep things running).

How long is an average charge life when pulling shortish trains.

Also types of servos for RC control. Anyone with any thoughts on the subject please?

the slaters motor and gearbox require quite some uummph, nothing really less than 12v. I have a 3300mAh battery pack, which together with the ESC and RC receiver fit inside an accompanying wagon, there is just not room in the boiler of the hunslet unfortunately. I used a futaba connector.

see my post here: http://16mm-ng.blogspot.com/2010/03/coupled-and-ready-to-go.html

Cheers Colin

Thanks Colin. I guessed the Slater's motor/gearbox unit might be a bit much for battery power. I was thinking along the lines (excuse pun) of a Mashima 1833 and a fold up 40:1 unit. They draw about 0.14-0.40 amps on my 7mm standard guage locos.

thnks for the link to your blog too. Regards ken

Archived