N scale 3D printed catenary

Hi can anyone pointe to someone who could print me some Japanese N scale masts 1/150 , I want a mast with a girder cross span both sides and these arnt available at all even though used on the network, I want to use one of the single sided mass produced ones by TOMIX as the base I have them with left and right cross spans but want both on a single mast, and the plate at the bottom both sides I’ve no idea how 3D design works so any help or a pointed direction could help

thanks 

Pete

8E895D44-8C36-4929-866E-D84FB1CC638C.jpeg

23CF286E-D0C3-48EE-92C8-C8A9B9837892.jpeg

Edited by TTDB
Added photo

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had a prototype printed by HEXA excellent service they also did my CAD too, this is the first print mast maybe the production will be in a more Matt finish but looks the part 

58B7064D-455F-4277-9DA9-7021BD2A7370.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Carl said:

Out of interest, if you don’t mind sharing, how much did that cost including the CAD?

I’m not to sure yet not paid up. The CAD is £33ph and as he said he had a single span donor to work of it wouldn’t be that much wait in bated breath 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TTDB said:

I’m not to sure yet not paid up. The CAD is £33ph and as he said he had a single span donor to work of it wouldn’t be that much wait in bated breath 

The CAD can be the hard part.

For someone really familiar with a design program, they may be able to do it quickly, but for the casual user, it can be very hard work.

I started off making window frames but have since done axle boxes, coach seating, parts for drains & MU jumper boxes.

I did a set of chimney stacks for my station building last year. They took me 12 hours to do, but I was unhappy with the lack of relief on the brick courses. The re-design took a further 8 hours.

Whenever I mention that I 3d print some components, I am usually asked if I would be able to print a wagon or a loco. It would take me several weeks of hard work to design, including a lot of learning new things & but is 'good enough' good enough when you are making something for somebody else?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

£33/hr isn't bad really, especially if it's for an item you need multiple of.  I can imagine that mast, for someone familiar with CAD, wouldn't have taken long at all.

Pete raises an interesting point though - I guess ensuring the result is "good enough" comes down to both parties setting their expectations out when making the initial contact, especially the designer communicating the limits of the material or production method.

Relief of brick courses is hard - the desired effect is very personal, the modeller might not realise their preference, the designer might not know to ask, and could easily eat up a lot of time/money adjusting it after the fact.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

£33/hr isn't bad really, especially if it's for an item you need multiple of.  I can imagine that mast, for someone familiar with CAD, wouldn't have taken long at all.

Pete raises an interesting point though - I guess ensuring the result is "good enough" comes down to both parties setting their expectations out when making the initial contact, especially the designer communicating the limits of the material or production method.

Relief of brick courses is hard - the desired effect is very personal, the modeller might not realise their preference, the designer might not know to ask, and could easily eat up a lot of time/money adjusting it after the fact.

Yes it all adds up to what hopefully will be a good result and of course don’t forget the spec of the printer used they are like cars cheap as Dacia or a Bugatti and I think HEXA have a pretty good set up, not sure if he said the CAD took 3 hours but it’s very good down to bolts on the gantry, I know it’s an expensive outlay but not prints only, there isn’t a mast like this available even from the German makers, I need to span 6 tracks and 4 platforms this is located mid way , I also initially need 12 and a few more later to finish , this idea may be of interest to UK N modellers for cross spans or the new type of masts used on the Paddington to Bristol line, 

D4D1B511-7174-4E30-9DC8-BBBCE03AE9EF.png

• Like 2

Single items if you have the CAD done  I’m guessing can be ineffective cost wise I need about 25 of those masts eventually and they will work out about £7 each but that’s what you would pay for a sommerfelt mast and these are bespoke exactly what I want, TOMIX in Japan make a small kit to make your own cross spans very cheap about  £6 I’ve adapted my span and mast to interwork with these , I’ve not seen the prices of what UK outline is available. 
Many of the Japanese masts are suitable for the UK one being they use 1/150 and the loading gauge on the 3ft 6 network isn’t that larger than the UK just a few inches , they are available on eBay at greatly inflated prices. 

05DF78CF-6D4A-466B-B816-77290EA43250.jpeg

48064A8F-211D-407D-8145-7DCF0FB1B87A.jpeg

Edited by TTDB
Added photos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How are you doing the registration arms? I’m aiming to print mine, mainly because I’ll need a few hundred and just can’t be bothered to use brass, but they are fine. Portals not so bad, although I worry about rigidity on large spans; I’ll need a couple of 8-track spans. Obviously 1:148 scale engineering principles follow the real thing, so hopefully they’ll be ok…