Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dia C10 Clerestory Third: the budget version....

• RMweb Gold

I love seeing a well done cut and shut Triang Clerestory. Nice job again.

It was your projects which inspired me to have a go. So far I’ve done a C10, D37, two D15’s and a PBV out of Triang Clerestories and a Clifton Downs set out of Ratio 4 wheelers

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to picture Stephen at an extravagant dinner party, formal attire, champagne flowing, and then that smooth opening line: "I once tried to convert a Triang All Third..."

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Admirable honesty! You could dine out on that story!!!!

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

I'm trying to picture Stephen at an extravagant dinner party, formal attire, champagne flowing, and then that smooth opening line: "I once tried to convert a Triang All Third..."

I am available for after dinner speeches, for a modest fee.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

He’d have been on a hiding to nothing of course: they were all fiercely independent Primitive Methodists, even a whiff of Popery and the whole rake would be off into the Welsh hills in a flash.....

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ha! I was for a while running the First Holy Communion catechesis for our parish. One girl had been baptised at a now-closed Primitive Methodist chapel - her mother, who was of South American origin if I remember correctly, had separated from her Welsh husband. I did eventually manage to obtain an affidavit confirming an entry in the chapel's register of baptisms. I think I went via the more-sophisticated Methodists to reach the appropriate Primitive contact. It avoided having to have the child conditionally baptised.

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2021 at 09:48, Compound2632 said:

Ha! I was for a while running the First Holy Communion catechesis for our parish. One girl had been baptised at a now-closed Primitive Methodist chapel - her mother, who was of South American origin if I remember correctly, had separated from her Welsh husband. I did eventually manage to obtain an affidavit confirming an entry in the chapel's register of baptisms. I think I went via the more-sophisticated Methodists to reach the appropriate Primitive contact. It avoided having to have the child conditionally baptised.

Not sure I saw that episode of Monty Python?

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't escape the religious connections I'm afraid. Some churches have clerestories, I have seen and used a number of Primitive Methods in converting Tri-ang clerestories and continuing the chapel theme, I do believe that I have filled a swear box or two whilst building them, particularly during roof alterations.

I think that I have a V5 PBV, C10, D15 and an ex MSWJ brake. There's also a rumour that you can make a passable ex Cambrian coach out of the composites.

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There's also a rumour that you can make a passable ex Cambrian coach out of the composites.

Although almost everyone seems to refer to the non-brake Hornby clerestory coach as a "composite", all the compartments are the same size, so I suspect a full second.  This does mean that the only way to create a proper composite is to splice in bits from the brake third, to obtain the different sized compartments appropriate for different classes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nick Holliday said:

Although almost everyone seems to refer to the non-brake Hornby clerestory coach as a "composite", all the compartments are the same size, so I suspect a full second.  

As far as I can make out, the clerestories as originally issued by Triang carried no markings other than a number, 5017 in the case of the non-brake carriage, in an unprototypical location - left hand end of the lower panel. So to call it a second or a composite or even a first is a matter of intepretation, not something intended by Triang; the compartment spacing is simply set to give a whole number of compartments in the chosen body length. When the carriage was issued in faux-LNER teak, three compartments at one end were marked as firsts; when they came out in red, that went up to four. 

In Triang's defence, when Derby was building 40 ft bogie (non-clerestory) carriages in the late 1870s/early 1880s, there were brake thirds with 6'0"-long compartments but also a large batch of thirds with six 6'6"-compartments, a dimension not repeated until the big clerestory carriages of 1896 onwards.

On 11/03/2021 at 01:25, MrWolf said:

There's also a rumour that you can make a passable ex Cambrian coach out of the composites.

https://srmg.org.uk/cambrian-composite

Whether it's passable or not, it's certainly pretty. Of course, all of the compartments are, incorrectly,  exactly the same size, but I felt that a Composite would be more use than an All-First.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 2