New Hornby Peckett W4 poor runner

Hi,

I recently purchased a new Hornby Peckett W4 (my first loco) and decided to give it a test run. 

I don't have a layout yet so just setup a basic end to end track to try it out and it doesn't run very well at all, it's very jerky at low speed that's if it moves at all some times I have to give it a nudge or gentle wiggle it to the left or right to get it going then if it is running say forward and I stop the loco and go into reverse it refuses to move again without assistance.

Is this because the loco needs running in or is there something else wrong with it?

I am using a Gaugemaster Prodigy Express DCC controller and the loco is fitted with a Hornby 4 pin decoder

Many thanks

Nigel.

It sounds like the pick ups are not making positive contact with the wheel backs, hence the sideways wiggle being needed. I think the pick ups are a little fragile on these so whatever you do to adjust them be very careful. If you aren't confident send it back, it's new and should work out of the box. Good luck.

• Like 1

To ensure the pick ups are correctly aligned have the loco upside down and push a driving wheel  to the limit of its movement away from the chassis. If the pick up is no longer bearing on the back of the wheel use a small jewellers flat head screwdriver to hold it on the back of the wheel and with another gently push around the mid point if the visible length of the pick up strip to form enough of bend in it so that the pick up stays bearing on the back of the wheel when you remove the screwdriver.Repeat on the other three driving wheels.

16 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Best to test on dc first, with the decoder removed, even if its just a length of track with a suitable up to 12v dc supply (surplus PSU or PP3 battery). Are all the pick ups bearing on the wheels okay. If its runs okay on dc then its probably the decoder.

Unfortunately I only have a DCC controller.

56 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

To ensure the pick ups are correctly aligned have the loco upside down and push a driving wheel  to the limit of its movement away from the chassis. If the pick up is no longer bearing on the back of the wheel use a small jewellers flat head screwdriver to hold it on the back of the wheel and with another gently push around the mid point if the visible length of the pick up strip to form enough of bend in it so that the pick up stays bearing on the back of the wheel when you remove the screwdriver.Repeat on the other three driving wheels.

Thank you that is very helpful.

There is some play in the wheels and the pick ups are only making contact on one side at any time.

• RMweb Gold

These little chaps benefit from running in over a long period.  I've had mine in almost daily use for some 9 months now and it's low speed performance has developed from 'good' to 'very good' in that time; it has also become a bit more surefooted, originally capable of 8 loaded minerals but now able to manage 11.  Brilliant little fella...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I run all my locos in upside down in a home made cradle, but this is not ideal.  It enables the motor bearings to bed in and highlights any binding or fouling issues.  Half an hour in each direction, 15 minutes at medium speed, 10 a bit faster but not flat out, then stepping down to see how slowly I can get it running smoothly.  I gently lever the wheelsets to their lateral extremes with a plastic rod during this process to ascertain that the pickups are set correctly; luckily they were on my Peckett, as I'd read that they are a bit delicate on this loco and didn't want to mess about with them unless I had to!  Lubrication when this is done if that is specified in the users' manual.  Then a track test on the layout, followed by the traffic test with stock hauled and propelled, then off to do whatever weathering, renumbering, detailing, provision of crew, real coal (yes, I've filled the bunker in the cab on my Peckett) and anything else I want to do. 

I set considerable store by good slow running and smooth stops and starts, and do fairly well, but clean well laid track, properly adjusted pickups, and clean locos are essential, especially as I use DC control.  Slow running ,and smooth stopping and starting, are asking the most you can ask of your mechanisms, as it is needed at exactly the time when voltage is low and mech has to overcome rolling resistance and gear friction that is at it's highest proportionally to the voltage and the loco's lack of inertia.  You need all the help you can get!

Edited by The Johnster