3D DXF import into Blender

So I'm going to have to transfer from using Autocad to Blender for my 3D models.  I've got 100s of drawings that I will need to use in Blender.  I've started using ANYDWG to convert my DWG files to DXF and I can view the new DXF file in Autocad and see that it is all there, just like the original DWG file.  But when I import the DXF file into Blender I can only see the 2D parts of the drawing.  The drawings general have several layers with the 2D on layer 0.  Will the other layers be turned on in Blender?

DXF is not a great format to export 3D files from AutoCAD, I agree with LimboBrit try exporting an stl file in AUTOCAD the command is..... STLOUT at the command line 3DDXF files can be temperamental at best, they often read back in the software they were created in but nothing else. 

The problem is that a STL file has everything joined together in one big part.  I like to build my drawings up with lots of parts.  A typical tank loco has a couple of hundred parts on multiple layers that can be turned off or on as necessary.  Is there another format that would allow me to keep everything as  separate parts?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, can you export to svg? I’ve exported drawings from Inkscape and Illustrator into Blender using that format. They come out pretty well - although, usually too small and on the wrong plane, but that is quickly rectified.

On 01/03/2021 at 01:06, JCL said:

Hi there, can you export to svg? I’ve exported drawings from Inkscape and Illustrator into Blender using that format. They come out pretty well - although, usually too small and on the wrong plane, but that is quickly rectified.

Thanks Jason but it can't export svg.  I've been through all the export options and the one that works the best is stl.  So what I'm going to do is do multiple exports of each drawing, just exporting a different part each time.  Fortunately I've got until September to do this.  In the meantime I've been following your building tutorial.

• Thanks 1