Churnet Valley opens its "gates"

wychcan

The News section on the Churnet Valley web pages shows that the northern gates are opened and reconnection to the junction is the first step towards allowing works trains onto the Cauldon Low line to be operated by Moorland and City Railways.

Good luck to them on this new venture.

Nigel

The News section on the Churnet Valley web pages shows that the northern gates are opened and reconnection to the junction is the first step towards allowing works trains onto the Cauldon Low line to be operated by Moorland and City Railways.

Good luck to them on this new venture.

Nigel

Thanks for the heads up Nigel. I did think that the whole MCR thing was a "ghost" scheme just to stop the loonie green sustrans lot getting hold of the trackbed and turning it into an hardly ever used cycle track, as I know for sure some of their local members were upset by the MCR getting a lease on the track bed off NR. It great news to think that soon an 8f etc will be thundering up to "bottom house" (what a joke name for the highest part of the system!) for us to enjoy.

Jim

will this lengthen the preserved cvr running?

I only went for the first time last week and fell in love with the line, everythings right about it.

although Im still learning about the extensions etc.

Mike

Its a start to enable the CVR to expand to the edge of Leek (about 1 mile) and also to recommision the line from Leek Brook Junction down to Waterhouses (about 5 miles) This will effectively give the CVR two running lines with a massive junction siding complex. Aslo there is the line from leekbrook Jcn down to Longton (about 8 miles) which connects with the national network. A company called Morelands and City Railways was set up to take over those lines from network rail with the aim to run commuter and freight on the network.

My only dislike of the CVR is theres far too many trees on the banks of the route obscuring your view from the trains. Other than that its a cracking railway. I lived besides it for many years when it was home to class 24s and 25s on sand trains before it was preserved.

Check out this website for more details

MCR/CVR

• RMweb Gold

Its a start to enable the CVR to expand to the edge of Leek (about 1 mile) and also to recommision the line from Leek Brook Junction down to Waterhouses (about 5 miles) This will effectively give the CVR two running lines with a massive junction siding complex. Aslo there is the line from leekbrook Jcn down to Longton (about 8 miles) which connects with the national network. A company called Morelands and City Railways was set up to take over those lines from network rail with the aim to run commuter and freight on the network.

My only dislike of the CVR is theres far too many trees on the banks of the route obscuring your view from the trains. Other than that its a cracking railway. I lived besides it for many years when it was home to class 24s and 25s on sand trains before it was preserved.

Check out this website for more details

MCR/CVR

Perhaps you can clarify the strong rumours around a while back that the MCR folk and CVR are not getting along too well which is which MCR was set-up separately, many CVR people thinking it would be 'a bridfge too far'?

I'm not sure either where MCR are going to get their capital as the total cost of their scheme is going to run into rather a lot of millions of £s. The signalling work alone is going to come in at more than a couple of million and the relaying costs are going to be massive if they really want to run commercial freight or passenger traffic.

Perhaps you can clarify the strong rumours around a while back that the MCR folk and CVR are not getting along too well which is which MCR was set-up separately, many CVR people thinking it would be 'a bridfge too far'?

I'm not sure either where MCR are going to get their capital as the total cost of their scheme is going to run into rather a lot of millions of £s. The signalling work alone is going to come in at more than a couple of million and the relaying costs are going to be massive if they really want to run commercial freight or passenger traffic.

I wouldn't know matey, I can only post what I have picked up from people in the know and off the net. I've not heard anything about a rift....

Jim

• RMweb Gold

are they planning to extend to Oakamoor and then Alton Towers station at all?

Alton is a beautiful station and would be nice if they could run to there in the future.

Mike

MCR's original proposal included an MCR service to Alton Towers (possibly not the original station site?) but I don't know if that is still their intention.

MCR's original proposal included an MCR service to Alton Towers (possibly not the original station site?) but I don't know if that is still their intention.

Think the idea is a station the other side of the road bridge. The orriginal station is in private hands. (why not continue down to Denstone, theres no obstructions in the way....)

wouldnt that mean they'd have to run over the CVR metals?

Mike

Yes

It would be fantastic if they could get the Waterhouses branch running again, and even more fantastic if they could get it into Waterhouses itself (closed 1943) as there's one hell of a bank straight off the platform. I wish them every success, though with times being hard I don't suppose it'll all be up and running for a few years yet.

• 1 month later...

It would be fantastic if they could get the Waterhouses branch running again, and even more fantastic if they could get it into Waterhouses itself (closed 1943) as there's one hell of a bank straight off the platform. I wish them every success, though with times being hard I don't suppose it'll all be up and running for a few years yet.

Interesting news!

"Due to the infrastructure of the Cauldon Low branch been much better than expected, the first passenger train in many years will run on the 13th on Novemeber this year, hauled by BR 8P 'Duke of Gloucester'!"

I visited the line on Friday, and they have done alot of work to bring the line back into use. I'll post piccies as soon as I can get them off me phone.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Work continues apace on the Caldon Low extension of the Churnet Valley railway, to extend the line from an 11 mile round trip to a 27 mile round trip..

Check out the link below for latest news of track maintenance and locos to be used on the inaugural run planned for November 13/14 steam , and 20/21 for diesel..

http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/main/news.php

Bob

Interesting news!

"Due to the infrastructure of the Cauldon Low branch been much better than expected, the first passenger train in many years will run on the 13th on Novemeber this year, hauled by BR 8P 'Duke of Gloucester'!"

I visited the line on Friday, and they have done alot of work to bring the line back into use. I'll post piccies as soon as I can get them off me phone.

Jim

Hi Jim

This is so exciting...at times I find it difficult to beleive, and fear it may not happen. I must go and have a look at the PW works too, then perhaps I will start beleiving more.

Bob

I have just checked out the series of Cauldon Low branch Permanent Way photographs on the Churnet valley website. It really is a wonderful site to see the renovation of the trackwork, and clearing of the undegrowth that has overwhelmed the old track.

http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/mcr/2010may/Jeff%20Higginson%20image001.htm

Bob

I'm not involved at all with the goings on.....I heard it has had an inspection, and but for some sleeper replacement, been given the ok.

I'm not at all sure of what the exact position is.....but it is nothing short of fantastic to see old tracks given a second lease of life. Gives me a warm glow inside.

I'll bet it gets sold out pretty damn quickly for the first weekends trains on Nov 13/14 next.

Bob

I'm really keen to have a go on the first diesel hauled trains in November - I didn't think tickets were available yet?

No...I dont think tickets are available yet.......we have one of our pals looking at the CVR website hourly, so we dont miss out on first tickets.!!!

This has got to be massively popular....its a major leap forward for this preserved railway, and will be a real boost to its popularity.

Having spent a maginficent evening last week on the Diesel/Curry/Beer special....I cant wait for another, perhaps a pie and peas special, on the Cauldon Low branch.

Bob

It looks as if some of it needs some serious ballast cleaning, and drainage works - is that sort of thing planned before it receives an Inspection do you know?

At the moment (week last wednesday) drainage work is being undertaken and the trackbed is having all tree and bush roots removed so that sleepers that need replacing can be replaced and then the track will be tamped and the ballast cleaned. The bottom end near Leekbrook is ready for tamping, the top end at Cauldon has only had the undergrowth removed and minimal drainage work done. The PW guys are working their way to Cauldon.

Cheers

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys

Anyone got a progress report on the last week or so.....when are they going to be assessed as to whether they get the go ahead to run or not.

Bob

I am aware that they have applied for a Level Crossing Order for Apesford (which might explain some of the recent video on You Tube featuring that crossing?) but I can't find any reference to it on the 'net. I would think that Order, and whatever work they're required to do at the crossing to comply with it (which looks like 'a lot' to me) must be sitting very firmly in the critical path.

Archived