Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Oil painting of a 9F

• RMweb Gold

I thought some of you might like to see this, it's the first stage of an oil painting I'm working on.  A pair of 9Fs in the shed.  I'm not sure where it is, or indeed what the original title of the painting is (it's from an original by David Shepherd).  If anyone can help me out with that it would be much appreciated!  Similarly, I always welcome constructive criticism and feedback - thanks.  The picture is 70 x 39 cms.

I've done a few others too, they are on my website here.

IMG20210307135833.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I thought some of you might like to see this, it's the first stage of an oil painting I'm working on.  A pair of 9Fs in the shed.  I'm not sure where it is, or indeed what the original title of the painting is (it's from an original by David Shepherd).  If anyone can help me out with that it would be much appreciated!  Similarly, I always welcome constructive criticism and feedback - thanks.  The picture is 70 x 39 cms.

I've done a few others too, they are on my website here.

IMG20210307135833.jpg

This is to be your version of the David Shepperd painting?

Excellent work, and a great variety of subjects. 

You obviously have used a grid to get the proportions correct, nothing wrong with that in my opinion, some of the great masters did the same or used a pinhole camera (camera obscura), eg Vameer.  I still use that sometimes for portraits and technical subjects, ie something with a very distinctive shape such as aircraft, cars, etc.  However I now use an epidiascope.  I always work from photographs and what I really like is to frame the picture on the canvas and get an idea of how the final picture will look.  I project onto to canvas and sketch the outline and location of key features, eyes, mouth, etc.  I am not a working artist, it's just a hobby, but if you were working for a living 'short cuts' save a lot of time and anguish!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jeff.  Yes the grid is really helpful, but I still find drawing locomotive wheels a real headache - far too many curves!  I don't have much time for those ultra-purists who insist you shouldn't even use a straight edge; I'm pretty sure the masters would have used every aid available to them.  And if you're making art for a living, then why on earth would you choose to make things more difficult for yourself?

Anyway, thanks again!

Wheels, especially steam locomotive wheels are difficult.  There are templates for technical drawing but you need the right size and strictly speaking they do not account for perspective.  Getting the depth of the spokes within the wheel rim and the hub in the right place is particularly tricky.....the epidiascope can ease this.  Whilst drawing skills are essential, especially when adapting an existing picture I would rather cut out the uncertainty and get on with paint application.  I have seen potentially great paintings let down by inaccurate drawing......

• RMweb Gold

I think the drawing is critical to be honest.  You can have the best values and colour in the world, but if the underlying drawing's wrong then you're not going to be able to make a good painting.  I do lots and lots of measuring directly onto the painting, and then rely on the Mk 1 eyeball after that.  If it looks wrong, then it probably is!

A whole variety of subjects but I discovered some years ago that figures and portraits were within my ability so I have been doing some private commissions that I can't really share.  However here's some I can.  These are all acrylic.  For the Meteor picture I assembled 1/72 kits and photographed at different angles.392305755_Apollo17.jpg.cd849f74532616e25833fdd02962e935.jpg780658347_FirthofForth.jpg.e436e94efec2c68b78644abcb4f920b7.jpg194844298_MeteorF3.jpg.d5290a0227c9da0e6351b446ede6642e.jpgFox_NF.jpg.cb26a1cd13b4e57dc643bcd797a20b0d.jpg

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

This may not look very different from the last photo, but it's taken quite a bit of work to get this far.  Most of it now needs to be allowed to dry for a while, but I can make a start on the main locomotive.

IMG20210311092716.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I haven't read it, but just found a used copy online at a very good price, so will do soon!  I didn't realise that those two locos were in the painting, nice to know that - thank you.