Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

image.png.6fe1fe17f52ecf6f6bf179d8b74acb1a.png 

Perhaps time to get back to some vaguely train-related activity?

Modelling time yesterday got consumed with lots of little niff naff and trivia jobs.  I filled in the gap under the magical levitating signal box, straightened up Tom's shed - a little - and also ripped up part of the roadway leading around the station building and the end of the platform.  I'd put the road surface in slightly too high, when it actually needed to be just a tad below the platform height.  Never mind, I find that if a job's worth doing then it's probably worth bodging doing several times until I get it somewhere in the vicinity of being right...

I also stripped down my Bachmann Jinty with the idea of investigating fitting a sound chip in it at some point.  That looks it like it should be feasible.  Surprisingly, after a clean-up and a dab of oil here and there, the Jinty went back together with no spare parts left over, and is now trundling along on the rolling road.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Having been more than a little impressed by some of the superb weathering on @NHY 581's thread, I did a bit of dabbling with the Toad earlier.  Just a touch of black and oily steel on the axle boxes, and then some brake dust on the blocks.

IMG20220804131341.jpg.109f0de9ba71fa51267186d530a34b1d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Now I do like that. It's not too subtle but not over done either. Mine always end up a bit OTT, I think because I'm always aiming for that neglected state!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Dali was also a renowned lion tamer.  That'll put paid to those pesky rats 🙂

image.png.c962cf285f83d19094db4da9c09d815a.png

I thought somebody might have made the connection, but as they rightly say - it is a bit of a leap...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Now I do like that. It's not too subtle but not over done either. Mine always end up a bit OTT, I think because I'm always aiming for that neglected state!

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun.  Personally I thought I might have overdone it a touch, but it's all good practice.  And helped by it being a rather nice little model to begin with, of course.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Shaun.  Personally I thought I might have overdone it a touch, but it's all good practice.  And helped by it being a rather nice little model to begin with, of course.

Just needs a cheery chap standing on the back veranda of the Toad admiring all your excellent scenery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Just needs a cheery chap standing on the back veranda of the Toad admiring all your excellent scenery.

Yes you're right,I need to get a few more people sorted out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sticking with things slightly Python-esque, I decided to get back into the comfort zone for an hour or so this evening, because I needed - a shrubbery!

Or a rural hedgerow, to be more precise.  So I made a start on vegetating the road that leads along the backscene to Chuffnell Regis station.  First order of the day was some mixed weeds from Lars op t'Hof Scenery (I might just refer to them as those Dutch chaps from now on, if you don't mind...)  There's the odd bit from Mininatur thrown in here and there too.  Mixing things up seems to make it look a bit more random and natural.

IMG20220804225053.jpg.6bd2c666d33147c77ac00dc7e7b65275.jpg

Then it was time for horsehair and hairspray, and a start on the hedge itself, which is having some rather nice MBR bushes added to it for variety.  This shot really exposes the problem with backscenes and perspective though.  I've managed to just about hide where the road vanishes into thin air the backscene, and this isn't an angle you'd usually see it from anyway.  More hedging, bushes, and perhaps even the odd (very) tree to follow tomorrow, time permitting.

IMG20220804230803.jpg.cd16fcfaade4cf712505345a7af7cd83.jpg

But that's enough for tonight.  The old peepers are getting tired 🙂

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Looking very good there.

IMG_20220716_150702.jpg.3da6b12c33c2733395414b36c5dd3f9e.jpg

Lovely scene.  "Quintessentially English".  Now you'll tell me it was from France or something 🥸

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, aardvark said:

BTW: did you know that Chuffnell Regis is an anagram of Cheerful Flings?

Bonjour Monsieur V.  Non, that had not crossed my radar!

10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Lovely scene.  "Quintessentially English".  Now you'll tell me it was from France or something 🥸

Between Silverdale and Jenny Brown's Point, NW Lancs. It does have a look of Normandy bocage about it though!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just needs a Panzer IV nosing round the corner then...

No Stukas though.  I think they'd had their day by 1944?  I could be wrong, and am standing by for incoming!

• Funny 2

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Just needs a Panzer IV nosing round the corner then...

No Stukas though.  I think they'd had their day by 1944?  I could be wrong, and am standing by for incoming!

What was left of the Luftwaffe by the time of the Normandy invasion was occupied defending the Eastern front. The big problems that the Allies faced in the bocage were MG42 "buzzsaw" machine gun nests and PAK40 anti tank guns hidden in the hedgerows, only our superior numbers eventuality drove the Germans out and at a massive cost in men and machinery.

On 31/07/2022 at 20:11, MrWolf said:

Don't forget the clothes prop of 1-1/2" X 1"  hardwood with the V notch in the end and about 7ft long! 

My brother-in-law gave us one of his modern sculptures made from wood and painted light blue. It was 're-assembled ' by me to similar dimensions with the appropriate notch following a request from Mrs FP for a clothes prop. It served us for many years in its new, more practical, format.

Given its colour and origins I had considered exhibiting it under the title 'wash day blues' in Brother-in-law s honour.

Sadly the opportunity never arose. . . . .

• Like 1
  • Funny 3