Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

My daughters are visiting from the US for Christmas, the first time they've been here since June 🙂

So as you can imagine Chuffnell Regis has taken something of a back seat for the last few days!  But I did make a start on the awning this evening once the girls were in bed.

IMG20221221232155.jpeg.06aaaa7420e91e8eea889228c9bbfde5.jpeg

It's just slotted into place at the moment - the cocktail stick will not be a permanent fixture!  (Hopefully...)

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Graham. The canopy has a slight fall towards the station, where a gutter collects rainwater from both pitched and 'flat' roofs, then down rainwater downpipes in the normal way.

Enjoy your girls company as much as you can and have a Merry Christmas.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bill.  I was aware of the guttering at the back of the canopy (and have made a mental note to remember to install the downpipes on the front wall of the building), but the fall appears to be very slight.  Perhaps I'll add a thin sliver of plasticard under the front of the canopy brackets, or I may just have the whole assembly horizontal.

Assuming that I can actually make it horizontal, of course...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

So, the girls have been busily playing a game they've made up called "Beast Brawl Arena" (probably best not to ask), and I've taken the opportunity to do a bit more to the canopy for Chuffnell R.

The canopy and the toilet block have had felt roofing added from 800 grade wet and dry, which I think looks rather good as it is, without any paint.  As you'd imagine, the canopy has needed a bit of fettling and firtling to get it to fit properly.  I think I've now got it right; trying it in situ on the platform a train fits underneath it, anyway.

IMG20221223173152.jpeg.270a1e6bd3f91b5d5635d9aa4b3535d4.jpeg

IMG20221223173654.jpeg.c2d5f7495170414ac14c9daf9f844545.jpeg

Due to my bodgery I've had to do a little bit of trimming to some of the brickwork to get the canopy brackets to sit properly, but hopefully that won't be noticeable once everything is nailed together.  The toilet block has now been glued to the main building, and the (many gaps) filled as well as I could manage.

IMG20221223174626.jpeg.f68c8ebb89db3df8198c1991318c3e0d.jpeg

I think the next sensible move is probably to get it all painted before I attach the canopy...

Excellent work Graham.

I might have misread this, but the canopy should not cover the track, it stops at the edge of the platform. Somewhere I have got a dimensions drawing for clearances that I will dig out and send over to you.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Graham T said:

So, the girls have been busily playing a game they've made up called "Beast Brawl Arena" (probably best not to ask), and I've taken the opportunity to do a bit more to the canopy for Chuffnell R.

The canopy and the toilet block have had felt roofing added from 800 grade wet and dry, which I think looks rather good as it is, without any paint.  As you'd imagine, the canopy has needed a bit of fettling and firtling to get it to fit properly.  I think I've now got it right; trying it in situ on the platform a train fits underneath it, anyway.

IMG20221223173152.jpeg.270a1e6bd3f91b5d5635d9aa4b3535d4.jpeg

IMG20221223173654.jpeg.c2d5f7495170414ac14c9daf9f844545.jpeg

Due to my bodgery I've had to do a little bit of trimming to some of the brickwork to get the canopy brackets to sit properly, but hopefully that won't be noticeable once everything is nailed together.  The toilet block has now been glued to the main building, and the (many gaps) filled as well as I could manage.

IMG20221223174626.jpeg.f68c8ebb89db3df8198c1991318c3e0d.jpeg

I think the next sensible move is probably to get it all painted before I attach the canopy...

Graham I would be interested to know what you plan about dirt on your wet and dry roof. I have experimented and found it very hard to weather. Might be wise to have a go on scrap first as you may end up painting it just so you have better surface for weathering?

Happy Christmas 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent work Graham.

I might have misread this, but the canopy should not cover the track, it stops at the edge of the platform. Somewhere I have got a dimensions drawing for clearances that I will dig out and send over to you.

Thanks Neal.  Fortunately it doesn't overhang.  If it did, I expect that the Bodgeit and Scarper solution would be to move the building back a few mil rather than try to modify the canopy!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham I would be interested to know what you plan about dirt on your wet and dry roof. I have experimented and found it very hard to weather. Might be wise to have a go on scrap first as you may end up painting it just so you have better surface for weathering?

Happy Christmas 

Andy

Roofs at Chuffnell Regis are spotlessly clean Andy, didn't you know?  Well, apart from the cottages behind the signal box, apparently...

Good point though, thanks.  I'll try out some techniques on scrap first as you suggest.

And a very happy Christmas to you and yours as well 🍻

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent work Graham.

Shouldn't, but they sometimes do slightly - the one on platform 1 at Basingstoke must do, as it got "modified" a few years ago when someone mistakenly loaded a high container onto a standard wagon...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Neal.  Fortunately it doesn't overhang.  If it did, I expect that the Bodgeit and Scarper solution would be to move the building back a few mil rather than try to modify the canopy!

Exactly as shown in the side elevation for Portesham on p270 of the BRJ article. Spot on young Graham, I'd expect nothing less!! 

BTW checking back on this issue I extracted some useful platform dimensions which had escaped my attention before; silver lining. I'll need to allow for the platform curve in my case, as at Kingsbridge, where the canopy curve appears to follow the edge of the platform closely.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Exactly as shown in the side elevation for Portesham on p270 of the BRJ article. Spot on young Graham, I'd expect nothing less!! 

That was more of a fluke than anything else Colin, I assure you!  (Long time since I've been called young too, but thanks 🙂)

30 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

BTW checking back on this issue I extracted some useful platform dimensions which had escaped my attention before; silver lining. I'll need to allow for the platform curve in my case, as at Kingsbridge, where the canopy curve appears to follow the edge of the platform closely.

I don't envy you trying to build a curved canopy - I struggled enough with a straight one...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And in non-railway related news, I finally bit the bullet and made a start on the companion painting for the wolf picture that appeared a few pages ago.  This is the beginnings of an octopus painting for my younger daughter.  Just the easy part done so far!

IMG20221224124058.jpeg.7604a22e4e2e1220c9b1e32b77512fbc.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

I don't envy you trying to build a curved canopy - I struggled enough with a straight one...

Hmmm! interesting point.

Kingsbridge acquired its curved canopy at the expansion and it appears the original straight section was rebuilt at that time to be curved along its entire length. As the building is straight that led to a very wide canopy span at the new end.

The original, which will be nearer my size but on a curved platform was straight so that's one issue fixed! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday my girls wanted to see what was new at Chuffnell R since they were last here in June, so I gave them a quick recap.  Pleased that they were still interested!  They also wanted to see the loco with the firebox flicker; I only have one of those, the ex-MR 0-4-4 1303 (the Mogul is supposed to have it, but it's never worked).  Anyway, I duly popped 1303 onto the tracks, her having been sat in the disconnected one of the two "fiddle yards".  You can probably sense where this is not going - or actually, not going.  The damned thing wouldn't run.  It has been sat quietly for I suppose a few weeks, since it was last run - when it was fine of course.  Nothing has been done to the loco at all in the meantime.  To say I'm fuming is something of an understatement - the loco came perilously close to taking a short, and I dare say final, flight across the room.  

I took the body off to look for anything amiss, although I can't imagine what can have happened in there.  Everything looked as it should do, of course.  I reseated the decoder, without much hope of success.  The Power Cab refuses to read the CV.  I've tried resetting CV8 but I can't tell if it's actually resetting or not.  After leaving it well alone overnight I tried it again.  Still no read on the CV.  After a few power cycles it did, just once, show the first line of info, and then nothing again.

Later on - it will allow me to re-programme it and runs ok again.  Grrr.

Disgruntled of Chuffnell Regis.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Dirty track on the fiddle road?

Failing that, then it's probably just non-GWR mech or you forgot to wind the key!

Anyroad, all sorted now. Well done that chap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Yesterday my girls wanted to see what was new at Chuffnell R since they were last here in June, so I gave them a quick recap.  Pleased that they were still interested!  They also wanted to see the loco with the firebox flicker; I only have one of those, the ex-MR 0-4-4 1303 (the Mogul is supposed to have it, but it's never worked).  Anyway, I duly popped 1303 onto the tracks, her having been sat in the disconnected one of the two "fiddle yards".  You can probably sense where this is not going - or actually, not going.  The damned thing wouldn't run.  It has been sat quietly for I suppose a few weeks, since it was last run - when it was fine of course.  Nothing has been done to the loco at all in the meantime.  To say I'm fuming is something of an understatement - the loco came perilously close to taking a short, and I dare say final, flight across the room.  

I took the body off to look for anything amiss, although I can't imagine what can have happened in there.  Everything looked as it should do, of course.  I reseated the decoder, without much hope of success.  The Power Cab refuses to read the CV.  I've tried resetting CV8 but I can't tell if it's actually resetting or not.  After leaving it well alone overnight I tried it again.  Still no read on the CV.  After a few power cycles it did, just once, show the first line of info, and then nothing again.

Disgruntled of Chuffnell Regis.

Very frustrating! What make of decoder is it?

• Like 1