Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Managed to finish it off this evening.  As you can see I also managed to fill some of the holes in the wheels with solder, I will have to try and drill those through...

IMG_0934.jpeg.9ba3356a2c16566ac4acc386be6cf561.jpeg

That’s lovely Graham. Where did you get it from?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, longchap said:

image.png.70ee5a02a0dc0b89df0c7b123cc63d40.png

Well that is a step up on the old Coopercraft version. I like it, a lot 😎

Thanks Bill.  There are two more on the fret, which hopefully will come out a bit better!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Bill.  There are two more on the fret, which hopefully will come out a bit better!

For my current project I've been using the DCC Concepts flux (small blue bottle) and their solder. The solder has flowed very well, using just an ordinary soldering iron.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

That’s lovely Graham. Where did you get it from?

Muchos gracias Neal.  It's by Langley Miniatures, but I can't remember where I got the fret from, sorry.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

For my current project I've been using the DCC Concepts flux (small blue bottle) and their solder. The solder has flowed very well, using just an ordinary soldering iron.

That's exactly the flux I'm using too (and also their solder).  I got a 65W iron from them too.  Which tip do you use Neal?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Graham T said:

That's exactly the flux I'm using too (and also their solder).  I got a 65W iron from them too.  Which tip do you use Neal?

Its a Leroy Merlin iron with one of their tips... They  supply an odd shaped one in the replacement pack, so the current one is just a normal flat tip.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I need to order a replacement one perhaps.  I started by using the pointed tip that was fitted to the iron as supplied, and then switched to one that is circular and cut through at an angle, so giving a flat oval contact area, which seems better.

And now I'm thinking maybe this is the shape I need?

image.png.82c4d9f77ac436a9c93dfd4eece4e253.png

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I think I need to order a replacement one perhaps.  I started by using the pointed tip that was fitted to the iron as supplied, and then switched to one that is circular and cut through at an angle, so giving a flat oval contact area, which seems better.

And now I'm thinking maybe this is the shape I need?

image.png.82c4d9f77ac436a9c93dfd4eece4e253.png

I guess it depends what you are going to do... 

For electrical work, a pointed tip would be better to localise the heat, but for our type of brass work I find a flat tip to be better.

Looking at LeRoy Merlin, these are the tips they are selling at the moment: https://www.leroymerlin.es/productos/herramientas/soldadura/soldador-de-estano/puntas-de-soldar-25w-dexter-81972933.html

But I find that angled tip very odd - I still have one in the pack, which I have never tried... So I dont know where I got the flat one from! Maybe its an old Maplins one - I had several when we moved!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now and again I take a few minutes to just look at the layout and ponder what might work better (most of it), and so on and so forth.  I was having just such a ponder this morning and thought it might be nice to have the Cordon parked at the end of one of the tracks near the platform, as I've seen done at Lambourne.  Far more by luck than judgement, I've found I can do that and still get the Dean or Collett Goods onto the spur as well, so that I can leave the gas wagon parked and still run around goods trains 🙂

IMG_0942.jpeg.99ffbba57ce6dde1cf806a78c7b10463.jpeg

I must add a handrail to the goods shed office steps...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Now and again I take a few minutes to just look at the layout and ponder what might work better (most of it), and so on and so forth.  I was having just such a ponder this morning and thought it might be nice to have the Cordon parked at the end of one of the tracks near the platform, as I've seen done at Lambourne.  Far more by luck than judgement, I've found I can do that and still get the Dean or Collett Goods onto the spur as well, so that I can leave the gas wagon parked and still run around goods trains 🙂

Nice - is it me or is your cordon going slightly downhill compared to the Dean goods?

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's a very convincing view across the yard. I'm going to have to try a few of those.

24 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Nice - is it me or is your cordon going slightly downhill compared to the Dean goods?

That old whitemetal Cordon was lucky it didn't end up in the vice if I remember right. I have a similar whitemetal Toad van in the queue for offensive language...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I suspect that’s because it’s riding up on the buffer stop rails.  Something else I need to fix!

That would be it - it was not at an angle in your earlier pictures and maybe that last inch of rail has not seen service until your idea of parking the cordon there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That old whitemetal Cordon was lucky it didn't end up in the vice if I remember right. I have a similar whitemetal Toad van in the queue for offensive language...

It was an interesting build, let's say!  And did come close to getting launched once or twice...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

I suspect that’s because it’s riding up on the buffer stop rails.  Something else I need to fix!

No need.  I have seen a fair number of sidings that rise toward the buffer stops like that.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been soldiering on today - ahem.  Got another luggage trolley bodged together, a slight improvement on the first I think.  Tow handle down on this one, so the brakes are off.  Very off, in fact!

IMG_0945.jpeg.fbd7cb736894a4f4e883171d7adb861b.jpeg

IMG_0946.jpeg.b4a7e9e9c3c5b9d50939a5eb4575f9c2.jpeg

I also assembled another bench to sit in front of the station building.  Much simpler to do than the trolley...

IMG_0947.jpeg.a0eba9f718375fd1e99f2a1c8ebf5c8c.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've been soldiering on today - ahem.  Got another luggage trolley bodged together, a slight improvement on the first I think.  Tow handle down on this one, so the brakes are off.  Very off, in fact!

IMG_0945.jpeg.fbd7cb736894a4f4e883171d7adb861b.jpeg

IMG_0946.jpeg.b4a7e9e9c3c5b9d50939a5eb4575f9c2.jpeg

I also assembled another bench to sit in front of the station building.  Much simpler to do than the trolley...

IMG_0947.jpeg.a0eba9f718375fd1e99f2a1c8ebf5c8c.jpeg

Excellent Graham. How did you keep the sides upright on the bench whilst soldering the seat?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent Graham. How did you keep the sides upright on the bench whilst soldering the seat?

Buenos dias 🙂

Well, one of the things I'm learning about soldering is how to hold pieces in place while joining them.  For the bench, I turned it upside down and then held the legs in position with a pair of tweezers.  I have some fine grips with insulated wooden handles, but find that I can usually get away with ordinary pointed tweezers, as the time that the iron is in contact with the parts to be joined is so brief that there's not really any heat transfer into the tweezers.

For other assemblies I might use the insulated grips, or sometimes a blob of blutak to hold a part still on the workbench.

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2