Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Graham T said:

I'm waiting for some more "planks" to dry, so have made a start on the roof tiles instead.  I might add some more holes at the right hand end too, what do you think?

IMG_1545.jpeg.a34d128cf57e1441e251af3ed35e19f2.jpeg

IMG_1544.jpeg.62c2b220924c2f1b805c25fb0c990a68.jpeg

Looking very good - I am guessing these are going to tiles rather than slates?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking about the holes in your roof. What about some of the battens the tiles lie on? Not everywhere but in a few places made from some wire? The tiles either side of a hole are held up by something.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-old-stone-barn-undergoing-conversion-to-living-accommodation-in-northern-37107385.html?imageid=BB16E60D-4D00-429E-91E3-CE6830CFE21E&p=97879&pn=1&searchId=d7c1a1a5fea6a5e1d9bb522ee488184d&searchtype=0

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This evening I have been having a night on the tiles 🙁

IMG_1558.jpeg.28c55fe789ee11dc828f6efcb12ca66d.jpeg

I'm pleased that a bit of a sag has developed in the roof in places as well.  Still need to do all of the back (!) and then I can add ridge tiles.  Most of the planking has also been finished today, apart from the most fiddly little pieces at the far end of the barn.

Why didn't I opt for a wriggly tin roof?!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 3

Looking very good.

Why don't you do part of the rear roof with rusty wriggly tin as if some has been replaced with what was laying around at the time?

Or a tarpaulin?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Kevin, I think I will add some wriggly tin at the back.  And appropriately enough I have some left-overs from the plastic sheet I painted to make one of the loft doors.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm not always the best at following advice, but when a model-maker like @KNP gives you some tips, even I will take notice!  So the rear of the barn has indeed acquired some wriggly tin this evening.  I'd like to have got all the tiles finished, but it's getting late so have decided to draw stumps for now.

IMG_1561.jpeg.d5568c5800edcc2c306d7907776987ef.jpeg

IMG_1560.jpeg.0e0b2997844bf96fb5cefe70e7f0d350.jpeg

I need to:

• Finish tiling the roof
  • Add planks to the left hand end
  • Make and add a wooden loft door, and main doors to the barn
  • Add some broken battens under the holes in the roof (not sure what to use for those?)
  • Make and add ridge tiles.  I'm going to see if I can manage to dissect some plastic tube lengthwise for that...

Once all that's done I can get back to the part I enjoy the most, weathering the wreckage!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm not always the best at following advice, but when a model-maker like @KNP gives you some tips, even I will take notice!  So the rear of the barn has indeed acquired some wriggly tin this evening.  I'd like to have got all the tiles finished, but it's getting late so have decided to draw stumps for now.

I need to:

• Finish tiling the roof
  • Add some broken battens under the holes in the roof (not sure what to use for those?)
  • Make and add ridge tiles.  I'm going to see if I can manage to dissect some plastic tube lengthwise for that...

Once all that's done I can get back to the part I enjoy the most, weathering the wreckage!

That’s looking just ripe for English Heritage to come along and list it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

I need to:

• Finish tiling the roof

It's looking very good indeed, the last ruined barn I made was a single storey shiplap job with a tin roof. The boards were all cut from plain postcard the frame was bits of wood, mounting board, anything handy. It must be nearly 35 years ago, but sticks in the memory.

Very thin plastic strip .010 X .030 if possible for the slate laths / lats / battens depending on what part of the country you're in? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very thin plastic strip .010 X .030 if possible for the slate laths / lats / battens depending on what part of the country you're in? 

Great and grotty job Graham, not an easy one to get right.

I've seen a lexicon of sorts many years ago at college, of traditional regionalised building terms, although doubt a truly comprehensive volume could hardly ever be completed.

It's slate battens with me, as despite geography, I still have the various Mitchell volumes from college days and the bosses would not tolerate regional dialect in his Bills of Quantities!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Raise a flag!  A small one, anyway.  The tiles are finished, and the ridge tiles are on.  I know there should be a horizontal beam along the apex of the roof, and that should therefore be visible in the gap at the left hand end; should I add it though, or claim that it's collapsed, which is why there's a big hole in the tiles there?

IMG_1564.jpeg.5106f53b2a0032aa8ed866357a4a264d.jpeg

IMG_1562.jpeg.0ec69dfe07f7b7d2ba5570a333870bb1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

If the ridge beam has gone from this section of the roof then it looks fine as your chunky rafters would have held the rest up. Looking back at your photos you don't appear to have put ridge beams in anyway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

If the ridge beam has gone from this section of the roof then it looks fine as your chunky rafters would have held the rest up. Looking back at your photos you don't appear to have put ridge beams in anyway!

I didn't put ridge beams in, no, but think I could easily add a section in that open part of the roof.  Perhaps I'll do a dry run and see how it looks with a piece in place.

• Agree 2

It would have had a ridge rail, probably only about 3mm X 1mm in 4mm scale (less on a house) so either fit one or have the rotted ends of one stuck out either side.

You'd also have smaller rafters and one or two heavy purlins+horizontal beams) fixed to the main trusses to support those.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1