RMweb

Mystery decoder

RedgateModels

Do you have access to the loco to see if it was a 100 ohm speaker (v3.5 ESU) or 4/8 ohm speaker (v4.0 ESU).

Or even the R number to see if it was  RnnnnXS

Edited by RAF96

12 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Do you have access to the loco to see if it was a 100 ohm speaker (v3.5 ESU) or 4/8 ohm speaker (v4.0 ESU).

Or even the R number to see if it was  RnnnnXS

the locomotive model number it is from is my A4 Sparrowhawk - R2991XS & the chip number is X6187 however Hornby don't have this anymore.

Edited by the1lackster

22 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

It'll need a new decoder if things such as resets dont work. The sound would have been from SWD, you can buy their latest sound file to load onto a blank decoder with a lokprogrammer, or buy the decoder from one of their retailers such as me (www.roads-and-rails.co.uk)

Richard

I think I might as well replace the entire thing really with a new speaker but not sure which speaker would fit / be the best option. Sorry I'm new to all this.

On 15/03/2021 at 10:55, Richard Croft said:

... The sound would have been from SWD, you can buy their latest sound file to load onto a blank decoder with a lokprogrammer, or buy the decoder from one of their retailers such as me (www.roads-and-rails.co.uk)

Richard

The OP says it was a factory fit Hornby sound loco - as seen by the XS suffix. Did SWD provide Hornby with the sound files. ESU website says downloads for UK locos are not available when they are proprietary to a manufacturer .e.g. Hornby. 

On 17/03/2021 at 21:32, Richard Croft said:

As far as I know, most factory fitted models using ESU have had SWD sound, if I'm wrong I apologise.

Richard

To be honest as the chip has blown looks like this is the only option to get A4 sounds back on the loco. So in the next few months when I saved for it I will buy the relevant chip with a new speaker.