Hornby Dublo 2-Rail Track Geometry

Nearholmer

I'm revving-up to have another go at my stalled "1963" layout, and this time want to go the whole hog and try proper HD 2-rail track, rather than modern Peco.

I'm studying the sixpenny booklet of 2-rail track formations, but it seems to lack a few important details, like the radius of the "large" curves, and the standard track spacing created using a crossover (presumably, the difference between 15" and the mystery number). By deduction, I'm thinking that the standard track spacing might be 3" (=huge!) and the large radius 18".

Can anyone point to an on-line guide to the 2-rail track geometry and, just out of interest, what size is the rail? 0.125"?

Many thanks in advance for any clues.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just run the calipers along one of my two pieces of HD track and the rail seems to be around code 110. I had varying readings along the rail.

Can't help with the other question as I had one point and one straight piece. The plastic on the straight piece has perished/is perishing. It was bought to go wit the mail pickup unit.

• Thanks 1

I still use Hornby Dublo track on parts of the layout, the sleeper spacing is better, however the plastic goes brittle, best drill extra holes for pins.

The metal points are almost indestructible the electric, all live frog ones, very reliable idea for hidden points tunnels etc. Most are 60 plus years old and some been on a layout for at least that amount. Might look unsightly but they work, and don't give trouble 

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Am I in danger, then, of buying old HD track that then falls to bits "in five minutes" due to plastic degradation?

Buyer beware, that's why I like to see and feel for stuff before I buy it, anything 60 years old will show some wear and tear, deteriorate depends on exposure to sunlight, ozone, damp, oil, etc.

One test and traders don't like you doing it is to flick with finger the ends to see if the rail comes apart from the chairs. Been brittle the chairs break more easier, another example cutting the ends off the sleeper to fit into peco points with pliers, use eye protection the bits fly off with speed. Old peco track, the plastic softer you have to twist with the pliers.

Otherwise it's good track looks a lot better, fits well with peco 100, although as mentioned it is very slightly higher

• Like 1

As previously stated, Dublo 2 rail track comes in 15" and 17.25 (Radius 2) with 30 degree curves* and code 110 rail. The rail is nickel silver, but has a primitive round head (like the 3 rail which however is plated (usually) brass code 125.

The sleeper base is polystyrene and rather delicate. Inspect before purchase as the 'chairs' tend to fracture. You will also find single and double gapped rails required for the live crossings of the points, Though the right way to do things, this was too complicated and delicate for a toy and yet another of the nails in Meccano Ltd,'s coffin.   :(

The sleepers are rather thin and short - I use them with my 1:80 scale Rivarossi - but still better sized than the H0 track made for the American market and peddled in the UK as 00.

The points have a built in switch useful for operating signals or energising track sections

*The starter sets had 45 degree curves and IIRC steel rail.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 1