Track types, for N Gauge layout/diorama - 2mm, Peco 55, Peco 80, Code 40?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, nick_bastable said:

Good move its worth getting the 2mm Track Book covers anything your need to know 

Nick B

Thanks, I shall do that when my membership comes through.

Mike

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks, what is bullhead?

Another query, as my setting is the city centre station, I am assuming that the sleepers were concrete but when would concrete have replaced wooden sleepers at mainline stations?

Mike

Ah...

I think the problem we're having in answering your questions is that we "don't know what you don't know".  So:  if you are joining the 2mm Association (and, in fact, even if you aren't) go to this page and order a copy of the first book displayed - "Track" by Geoff Jones.  http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/nms/index.html

If your plan is to build a static diorama model then, judging by your dockyard model, you won't have any difficulties with the structures, but it seems (from this and your other thread on turntables) that it's the "railway-specific" technology that you need information on.  Geoff's book will give you the masterclass on track!

In brief - there were/are two common types of rail used on the railway - bullhead (which has a figure of eight cross-section and was held in cast metal "chairs" attached to the sleepers) and flat-bottomed (has a sort-of I-shaped cross-section with an enlarged flat foot, which can either be attached direct to the sleepers in primitive applications, or is clipped/spiked to flat metal plates attached to the sleepers.)

Wood or concrete sleepers - depends on period but generally before the mid-1960s wood was much more common.  Generally flat-bottomed rail is used with concrete sleepers, but either bullhead or flat-bottom can be used with wooden sleepers.  These are sweeping generalisations!

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Spelling

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify Mike - you can order the "Track" book even if you aren't a member of the 2mm Association.  A lot of the content isn't scale specific.

RT

Edited by RichardT

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Spelling and Richard.  I didn't realise that I could order stuff without being a member of 2mm.

As to 'what I don't know' you might as well consider that as 'anything', yet.  I am a quick learner though so, with patience and understanding on everyone's part, I should catch up fairly soon.  You weren't all born experts.

I shall order the track book but how about a book on railway glossary?  I could do with one of those.

cheers,
Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

It's the books that you can order without being a member - the track components etc. you have to be a member to order.  However, I believe that you can browse the online shops on the 2mm website to see what's available: you just can't order them without a membership number.

A railway glossary - oh my.  The first person to come up with a comprehensive and accurate one of those will make a fortune!  But why not try a web search or two, and then you can target your questions?  (Beware - terms vary by country and time period, and some glossaries go into incredible detail whilst others are very superficial, or assume a lot of pre-existing knowledge.)  I found these after a couple of seconds with a search for "railway glossary":

https://www.railalliance.co.uk/industry-information/railway-glossary/

http://www.railway-technical.com/glossary/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_rail_transport_terms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_United_Kingdom_railway_terms

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Clarifying
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant and just what I need, thank you.  I would have done this at some stage but my mind is swimming with all the information that everyone has provided so far.  I am going to take a step back now and read through these glossaries.

all the best,

Mike

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, arran said:

HI All

I always find these comparisons disingenuous  when you have Peco code 55  , properly ballasted and weathered it looks fine.

I'm not saying code 40 is not a way to go for some but side by side comparisons with code 70 !!!

Regards Arran

Read my post, the question was asked about mixing codes depending on the availability of parts - I simply drew attention to the difference you’d have to compensate for. It was actually a photo already on my phone from someone who asked the same question on FB last week. It wasn’t a particular comment on the coarseness of code 80 track by comparison. 

Personally for me the benefit of handbuilt track isn’t so much the reduced height of rail section, it’s the ability to create flowing formations that are the big advantage, particularly on a layout like this. This layout with 55 would be totally different, where a layout with minimal visible pointwork, such as a big mainline, requires far less compromise. 

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

No questions today and just to advise that I have ordered the Track book, plus the Getting Started book & Wagon Kit Bundle.  I chose that bundle offer as it comes with a small section of rail and sleepers.  This will, hopefully, let me see how it makes up and should let me see how it compares  with a Peco 55 and/or Code 40 track; when I also get examples of those.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 2