NCE Power Cab to use as a Pro Cab

Worthy1

Recently I sent a Power Cab off, using Hermes, for a repair. Hermes delivered it to a wrong address and it was declared lost. At this point I was making a claim, as it was insured, when it was handed over to the repair company. During this period I bought another one. So, now I have 2 Power Cabs and I would like to use one as a Pro Cab, so that I can have 2 operators. After some experimentation and advice from NCE I found out that the firmware on both Cabs must be 1.65B. I have this on 1 Cab but the other is 1.65. These chips are available in the USA but NCE will not export to the UK at the moment due to VAT problems after Brexit.

OK. to the point. Does anyone know where I might obtain a Power Cab Firmware Upgrade Chip 1.65B in the UK?

Many thanks for any advice and help.

980640210.jpg

My experience with multiple Power Cabs over many years was that even with different versions, they will work together, with a couple of minor procedures. At one stage I had versions 1.28 and 1.10, but all are now 1.65 (but not 1.65B).

1. Firstly, use the lower version number as the 'slave' unit.

2. Ensure you have allocated a different cab address to the second Power Cab - the main one should have address 2.
3. Do not plug the 'slave' in until the command unit has powered up.

When you are eventually able to get the upgrade chips, by all means upgrade them to the same version. V1.65 allows you to set a power up delay on the 'slave' unit, thus doing away with the need to plug it in after the main one has powered up.

Again, thanks for all the advice and help. I have tried using both Power Cabs in different combinations ( and as above with SRman's suggestion) with no success. NCE have assured me absolutely that I need the upgrade to 1.65B on both Cabs. In the meantime I have been in contact with Kevin at Coastal DCC who assures me that his chips are 1.65B, although the website states 1.65.  I have therefore bought a chip from Coastal DCC and await its arrival with baited breath!

Thanks to all!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Silly question.

Are you using the later chip with the flat ribbon cable in the left hand socket? The other cab can use either type of cable but it might be worth checking that the second cable or socket are OK.

If I get the chance tomorrow I'll try using two PowerCabs in a PTP panel as I'm fairly sure that they have different vintage chips in them.

• RMweb Premium

What cab numbers are you using for each?

We've had problems at the club with some cab number values.

I think the cabs retain the cab number value regardless of where they are connected to so check there is no confliction between the two.

• RMweb Premium

I have misled myself!

My home layout uses two ProCabs and one PowerCab as opposed to the two PowerCabs that I thought I had.

The PowerCab has  a v1.65 chip although it has had that for a while so may not be a v1.65B. Both ProCabs start up showing v1.3.

The PowerCab is set as cab number 4 but also starts briefly showing v1.3. One ProCab is set as Cab 3 and happily works with the PowerCab. The other ProCab is set as cab 2 and will get no further than the boot screen. Changing its cab number to (for example) 6 made no difference.

Both the Procabs were bought second-hand a few years back so probably don't have (nor need) the v1.65 chip.

I should add that my home layout uses an SB5 which accounts for having three cabs, the tests were undertaken using the cabs in the PCP reserved for my programming track.

I doubt the above helps but the information may be useful to some.

I will check how the two ProCabs start up connected to the SB5 as that may give me a clue as to the actual chip they have fitted.

You really need to set the Power Cab as address 2. It should cope with addresses for attached devices (the Pro Cabs) up to 6, I think, but addresses 3, 4, or 5 will definitely work with the Power Cab v1.65 (without the 'B').

Incidentally, even with the older v1.28, I successfully had three Power/Pro Cabs attached, even though officially only two were supported - it was a feature not documented by NCE or officially acknowledged by them, but it was known by some of the more savvy users.

Edited by SRman

Yes---- I'm beginning to think that one of my Cabs is faulty. I have just installed a 1.65B upgrade (from Coastal DCC) to my 1st Power Cab. Both my Power Cabs operate fully on the LH socket but neither will work on the RH socket. In the RH socket they display the PROC (Procab) and the Cab number (3). When in the LH socket I program them to Cab 2 with a 4 sec delay and when in the RH socket to Cab 3 with a 10 sec startup delay. 

I have swapped about the Cabs

I have changed the cables

I have changed the power supply

I have changed the connection unit. 

I have reset both cabs to factory settings.

If I have a faulty one I don't know which one it is as both work fine when used as main Cab (with or without the other one plugged into the base, RH socket)

Reading above comments I should have no trouble with my set up but, IT DONT WORK!

I am now lost with this.

By 'connection unit' I guess you mean the panel with the sockets in it? When I read your post, I instantly thought of this.

Are you aware that DCC Concepts make a compatible panel with 3 connections?

I had an issue with 1 of my handsets where a connection pin/strip (whatever you want to call it) had bent slightly & I was able to straighten it with a small screwdriver. It is worth visually checking all your connectors.

Silly question (hopefully) but what cables are you using? The Powercab comes with 2: the flat cable is for the 1st cab & the curly one is for when it is used as an additional one. It may be a wrong assumption that you already know that?

Pete, I have tried the cabs in 2 different panels (I have 2 Power Cab sets). Same result. I have tried using both the 4 wire curly flex and a 6 wire cable in the Pro Cab (2nd) socket.

I spoke to NCE with no success. Their advice was to try what I have already tried (and listed to to them). 

I spoke to Kevin Dickerson at Coastal DCC. He had a think and after questions about what I have already done he remembered an issue with early Power Cabs that would not communicate with each other.  He sent me a pic of a modification I could do to the panel pcb. Solder 2 100kOhm to the terminals shown and see if it works. While taking out the board I noticed a date of manufacture on it (2005). This would indicate that the Throttle is of the same date since they came together, so quite an early setup. I did the soldering, put the board back in place and it worked!

Many thanks to all who tried to help and special thanks to Kevin at Coastal DCC.

Panel mod with 100K ohm resistors.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

It is nice to hear you have the problem beaten & actually know what the fix is. It explains why many of us were unable to replicate the issue.

I have spoken to Kevin a few times & bought some things from him, always finding him friendly & helpful. I find it interesting to hear that he knew of the issue & NCE have apparently forgotten about it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That snippet from Kevin is certainly something to file in the grey matter. In fact it is even worth checking the PCPs I have/use (on different layouts).

I'm glad it worked.

• Like 1