The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Looking for a friendly electrician to offer advice for support coach.

LNERJP

Hi

As the title says I need some electrical advice, I am currently re-wiring the NELPG support coach, mainly the 24V DC side however I am looking to upgrade our shore hook-up.

First the disclaimer, I did train as an electrician to 16th edition ie regs but have not done electrical work for a while and the coach does get a yearly electrical inspection and test which will be carried when I am finished.

Currently we have a 16a mains hook up connection which the goes through a 16a MCD and onto a traditional consumer unit. The 16a supply is quite limiting (think a couple of electric radiators, a kettle and a toaster) and it frequently trips out. In some places we have a 32a shore supply available and would like to take advantage of that when possible.

So, what I would like to do is have both a 16a & 32a male socket, 16a in 2.5mm and 32a in 4mm, onto there respective 16a & 32a MCB's, then a 3 position selector switch to prevent the danger of one of the male sockets from being live when the other is plugged in, then a common supply cable to the consumer unit. Will that be feasible and in line with current regulations ? Is it ok having the supply on a sp MCB or does it need to be dp?

Feel free to reply on or off the form.

Cheers JP

Edited by LNERJP

• LNERJP changed the title to Looking for a friendly electrician to offer advice for support coach.
  • RMweb Gold

I'm not a qualified electrician, but have worked in plant maintenance on the railway for many years and would advocate that you install a contactor to do the changeover because the selector switch will need to be able to switch under load, because as soon as you install it, some twonk will operate it under load. Changeover mechanisms can be bought off the shelf.