Enquiring about a key DCC component

Miss Prism

Thanks Andi. I had already looked there, and had concluded that those decoders couldn't be the same as those fitted in a DCC throttle - there's no way they are using 200 quid devices. Found some cheap ones (5 dollars or so) in the States, but they would require a lot of output processing.

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine that it would use a rotary optical enoder of the type typically found in computer mice. What are you trying to acheive and would a scrap mouse be a possible route?

Andi

Thanks Andi. I had already looked there, and had concluded that those decoders couldn't be the same as those fitted in a DCC throttle - there's no way they are using 200 quid devices. Found some cheap ones (5 dollars or so) in the States, but they would require a lot of output processing.

You can get them a lot cheaper than that. ALPS are one manufacturer, e.g farnell part number 1191734 at ??6.40 + VAT.

The cheaper ones have two outputs that output square waves 90 degrees out of phase. Direction is determined by which one is leading, speed by the frequency. Quite easy to decode in a PIC or similar.

The expensive ones are probably "absolute" encoders that give a binary representation of the angle of rotation.

Andrew Crosland

Archived