ABS BR Suburban coach sides - donor vehicles?

I recently acquired some ABS printed overlays for BR Suburban coaching stock. I wonder, has anyone experience of using these to modify RTR vehicles, and what donor vehicles might be best?

I'm presuming that the technique used by Silver Fox is the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Suggest replica coaches, the plastic is very forgiving of abuse when cutting it up. Also, replica provide different bogies that are just a clip fit on the underframes so easy to change. What size are these sides? 64' or 57'?

5 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Suggest replica coaches, the plastic is very forgiving of abuse when cutting it up. Also, replica provide different bogies that are just a clip fit on the underframes so easy to change. What size are these sides? 64' or 57'?

Thanks for that - appreciated.

Length? Off the top of my head I'm not sure, and they're not with me on board - I have other projects to build this trip - but I think they're 57'

Mark

Just remember suburban stock had flat ends. As to using the normal MK1 coach and during th flat ends, you'll have to work that out yourself lol.

Don't know which would be easier, using the replica suburban coach shortened or the BG with ends changed, or just use the Bachmann suburban?

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Just remember suburban stock had flat ends. As to using the normal MK1 coach and during th flat ends, you'll have to work that out yourself lol.

Don't know which would be easier, using the replica suburban coach shortened or the BG with ends changed, or just use the Bachmann suburban?

Cheers for the reminder about the ends. I'll see how it all goes when I get home. I'll keep my eyes open for suitable donor vehicles in the meantime.

Sounds like a good excuse for another trip to the Worth Valley too - they use BR Suburbans :)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found a box full of ABS flat cast ends for the BR suburban coaches, along with a few under frame kits and bags of BR ventilators. I used to have some of his extruded body wheels but they became mis-shape over the years so got binned. I may have a few printed sides somewhere, but I think they got binned a while ago. they were very good in concept, but most people had a problems getting the sides to glue to the bodyshells.

On 19/04/2021 at 20:56, roythebus1 said:

I've just found a box full of ABS flat cast ends for the BR suburban coaches, along with a few under frame kits and bags of BR ventilators. I used to have some of his extruded body wheels but they became mis-shape over the years so got binned. I may have a few printed sides somewhere, but I think they got binned a while ago. they were very good in concept, but most people had a problems getting the sides to glue to the bodyshells.

Are you building or disposing then, Roy?