Narrow Gauge Beginnings - getting started in HOn30 and H0e

• RMweb Premium

Taking my own advice, I finished the Combine first.  First thing I learned was that the nice brass screws supplied to fit the bogies won’t screw in straight unless I line them up properly: first attempt was so wonky only one axle touched the rails on the first bogie.

I removed it then lined up the screw before refastening:

AC4E6977-8110-454D-8261-37318EA87B3A.jpeg.ce28810e70ca8904f9513d385080b57a.jpeg

All that then remained to do was add the road Decals and glue on the roof (the stovepipe is straight after all):

DB3CFAB9-E901-4253-8715-C37B2DE1DB9E.jpeg.16191b2cd70dea54a235904ed865812b.jpeg

2122D792-79EA-4D55-8DC1-C8201CD87821.jpeg.aa29c6f67948b2417dde7589c585c7eb.jpeg

It’s a very good kit, but I should have done a better job with the Guards Compartment duckets.  The paint is a bit rough as a result of starting again, but it looks the part for this backwoods line and I’ve learned some more useful lessons for my next build:

EA97E547-EBCF-425A-ADD3-795B207375B7.jpeg.f455f258f03ddf1c99dc888fe5665b8f.jpeg

Have fun, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the encouraging response to my post from yesterday - as always, it gives me the best incentive to keep learning and trying to improve.  I had a bit of time at the end of yesterday evening, and used the opportunity to sand down and repaint some of the roughest joints on the Guards’ Duckets.  I managed to do this while only knocking off one of the brass handrails and the chimney stack.  The stack was glued back last night, but I left the handrail till this morning so the repainted bits could dry.

While running in the Combine, I also noticed a ‘squeak’, which I’ve traced to the air hose extension under the balcony end bogie.  This has been trimmed back, and while I haven’t had time for a second test run before work this morning, it seems better under digital control*

Morning light is better for photos, so for anyone unused to the size of these models when not magnified:

C759631D-B0D3-45BA-8309-FA182B3D1F81.jpeg.0be64e20340ed3106078cc78627e6ae4.jpeg

Yet it is still 4mm scale (small enough for me to use as 3.5mm).  I’m happier with the Guard’s Duckets now - any more sanding down and the profile on the moulding will disappear completely, so I’m best off leaving it:

9FC3F620-BCCB-421A-A428-2985B749342B.jpeg.14569a1bfda3c43f282e6b31a9b11dda.jpeg

C8600809-4EB3-43F3-B2B1-5808D49FDD4A.jpeg.1569daa7b954c84f66d947f36ca13658.jpeg

I still think I find building kits (as in kits of buildings) easier than rolling stock, most likely as I expect them to take more time so work slower - guess I’m still harking back to memories of knocking together Peco simple N-Gauge Wonderful Wagon kits years ago.

I’m working on Saturday this week, so am hoping to get the last few bits of the Composite finished in bits of free time over the next couple of days.  Thanks again to all for the encouragement, Keith.

* ie: pushing it along the track.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Finished!  And before I need to clear away the room for guests too, which is good.

5A96A37D-D6A1-4173-847B-5AC3B4E08597.jpeg.20164481492737874ee4efaf04c4e48d.jpeg

When it came to fitting the air hoses onto the Composite, I (finally) realised that they’d been moulded ready to glue on - I didn’t need to try and straighten the attached pipe extensions that glue underneath the chassis (and which snapped when I tried).  It means the air hose on the Composite balcony is quite a bit higher than on the Combine, but that’s only visible side on.

Unfortunately, I managed to fix the decals 4mm above the footboards on one car and 5mm above on the other, and it is visible, although oddly each car is consistent from one side to the other despite being unable to see this when applying them.  The First Class compartments are marked as such with a short length of thin styrene strip painted aluminium.

Running in trials have proved successful, despite the very light weight of the cars (I didn’t add any extra weight).  They’re also a good size match for my MinitrainS r-t-r: 

3EA315D0-1D13-4B7B-8764-C7E6F286E3A1.jpeg.dd23636eb041175591553fe4322fe11c.jpeg

(The CAL hasn’t acquired a backscene - it’s a magazine freebie I was given that hides the rest of the room for photos).

Not sure these coaches go with the original scratchbuilt Combine though - which is a scale 40’ HO car:

025B6C8F-D64D-42DD-AA4C-B837A6007A0E.jpeg.69c5e6fa46c1a7ab231f890b8a928b94.jpeg

Next job maybe ought to be the small whitemetal Depot kit I bought - my existing HO Station Building is a bit too big 😀:

41FB2B41-F94C-4D49-86E9-8780576E79EF.jpeg.a5c8b0a85a6e932c53e6bd54cd6fd4bb.jpeg

There’ll be a gap before my next build with guests coming, but I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy in my spare time.  Have a good weekend, Keith.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Playing trains - II

Lack of power is most definitely not a problem for 2095 002-8 as it pauses briefly to check the line is clear of any crossing passengers before pulling forwards to the halt with a Summer special 8-coach train:

6AF95B9A-EC06-4C3E-BE41-F9FCACBF723D.jpeg.dbebe7e3a164a3614aca2394b80b508b.jpeg

Meanwhile, the Lokomotivführer of the O&K MV8 No. V13, who is due to take the short goods train round to the Wood Yard, has realised the passenger train is simply too long for them to get there and has gone of in search of some instructions.

A brief afternoon interlude and some H0e running.  Our guests are arriving next weekend.  I have a bit more time before clearing the room, but not enough to start another build.  The combination of post-Covid fatigue and chronic hay fever has stopped outside work on the next set of baseboards for a bit, so today I’m giving the stock a run out on the test layout.  For those who celebrate: happy Fathers’ Day.  Have a good week, Keith.

1DBD1096-2924-434F-A585-46EEFFC0BFCF.jpeg.f4c5447a9fb4bd597174dd2f97721581.jpeg

The last train home…

Additional photo.
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

CAL Notice of Planned Disruption to Services:  Space issues were behind the sale of basically all my GW-based OO Gauge collection, and then putting plans for an American HO layout to one side too.  European and freelance American(-ish) Narrow Gauge has been keeping me busy here, and short of maybe trying Z-Gauge out of curiosity I didn’t think I’d be tempted back to Standard Gauge modelling until I have more space for American HO.  I was wondering if I’d ever return to UK modelling at all.

Then last month Peco announced TT:120.  The planned laser cut GW Station building caught my eye - absolutely perfect for the kind of Branch Line layout I’d been thinking about on and off for over thirty years.

With models not much different in size from HO narrow gauge, and with a common scale / gauge for both UK and Continental or American modelling (at last), the rest of my funds following a decision not to pursue Bemo H0m are going into TT instead:

1BF5D1CE-996E-44E8-B6E0-3A5AFC608DDE.jpeg.22a111433c3c6aeec525838513244370.jpeg

I’m continuing Narrow Gauge modelling of course, have just renewed my 009 Society membership and still have a stash of kits to work through.  My plans and interests in H0e and HOn30 haven’t changed (nothing is being sold), but instead of H0m as a parallel interest, any trains now arriving to run on 12mm gauge track are 1:120 scale (mainly Tillig, as above).  It just means progress here will slow down even further, though it’s fair to say it’s only because of what I’ve learned so far with Narrow Gauge that I’m in a position to even consider something else new and different.

Have a good weekend, Keith.

(Further photos of this new acquisition will appear in the TT:120 Forum next week - others items are already there).

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Online Members’ Shop of the 009 Society had a MinitrainS caboose for sale last weekend, and with train crews complaining about the lack of space when sharing a brew in the existing Ffestiniog-style caboose, it was an easy decision to add it to the line:

D6C9CE50-8393-4B5F-A8AE-2631E13231A7.jpeg.3398c3c19850b235617531c1b9e09365.jpeg

I hadn’t spotted it was missing one coupling before I bought it, but a bit of sprue from a completed kit and some superglue have sorted that (subject to road testing when the glue is dry - hopefully tomorrow at some point).  As with the MinitrainS coaches I bought recently, I was concerned the Caboose would be a bit too ‘plasticky’ and had assumed I’d want to address that.  It’s actually quite a dull Matt red in real life, so I decided just to paint the handrails, brake wheels and truss rods (which were all red) and add some decals:

2784E642-269B-48CC-B6D3-9A8B5B26B34B.jpeg.4a4f8e1aedaf32cdb1c24090202282a3.jpeg

I removed the wire loop from the other end so the couplings match - as all my other freight cars have Peco Bemo-style couplings (not wire loops), I’m hoping this won’t be a problem.  Simple stuff anyone can do.

Enjoy the weekend, Keith.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don’t write a blog, so as this thread kind of serves as my ‘Home page’ it also plays host to my musings from time to time too.  

Although the Summer is generally the time when I expect to make some modelling progress, things have rather ground to a halt in the past couple of weeks though, and I have nothing to report - mainly because I’ve spread myself too thinly across too many areas of interest to get anything done!  It’s not all bad - I’m still exploring the wonderful world of model railways like a kid in a sweetshop trying a bit of everything, but the realities of time, space and funding mean I need to do some prioritising again.

Peco’s announcement of TT:120 at the start of June was a real game changer for me, as it reawakens the possibility of the GW Branch Line I didn’t have space for in OO.  Trying out Continental TT - also in 1:120 - has confirmed it is an excellent scale to play work with: the locomotives have a presence, the building kits aren’t too fiddly, and the new Peco Code 55 track looks very impressive.

Having learned what I need from Continental TT, I’ve decided not to invest further in rolling stock that won’t fit on a subsequent UK layout, and am just planning a simple diorama instead as I’ve acquired some rather nice Auhagen building kits at knock down prices from the 009 Society.

But I can’t resist a bargain when I see one I like, so while the Tillig TT BR 101 pictured above (1st July) may not be in my collection any longer, this Roco DB N-Scale V200 has appeared instead, along with a few other excellent bargains in retro-N scale German outline:

6B16CAE1-1101-4C2C-ACF6-68C52DC75D44.jpeg.ad5ed73c9dbd3b369e4423feebea93bc.jpeg

It may be standard gauge of course, but it can run on the same 9mm track as the 2095, at least when no-one is looking 😃.  I have a busy week of family commitments (our second daughter is getting married 😍), but my plan for after that is to put on my own personal ‘mini-exhibition’ at home to help me decide what I’m going to do next.  After that I’ll hopefully have something I’m working on to share once more.

Take care and stay safe, Keith.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For the next instalment in my long running series on “How to not build a model railway” I did something radical - I read the instructions!  I found my copy of Linn H. Westcott’s original September 1963 Model Railroader article on L-Girder benchwork.  I’d saved a copy from the online archive a while back, but not got round to reading it.  What did I learn?

Things I didn’t know

• Although I’ve often seen photos of heavily engineered L-Girder benchwork, for smaller lengths (less than 8’) Westcott was quite happy to recommend just using 2” x 1” timber - good news for me, it’s what I use for economy and keeping down weight on my small layouts.
  • While L-Girder benchwork offers a type of ‘open grid’ framework, the article also showed how to use it for table top construction too - which would reduce the bracing I previously needed when raising the station area on my plans (another weight saver).
  • As designed, L-Girder benchwork has all the screws pointing up from underneath the layout - so that none get covered by track and scenery (thereby preventing easy reuse or rearrangement of the boards).
  • Diagonal bracing was not always needed in the original design for the basic frame, as the rigidity was provided by the legs, which did require diagonal cross bracing (my designs don’t have legs, as I use IKEA tables, so I’d need to add some diagonals in my frame).

Things I knew

• It doesn’t necessarily use less wood - compared to an open ‘box-grid’ frame approach, the doubling up involved in the L-Girders may use more.
  • Other than where portable baseboard sections join, the big win for me of L-Girder benchwork is that the elimination of all butt joints means cutting doesn’t have to be that accurate.  This also makes it quicker and easier to get started, although just as much care is needed to ensure a level roadbed later on as with other open grid techniques.

Why am I building more boards yet again?  Finalising plans for the rearrangement of rooms for visitors changed my space - I can actually stretch from 1.8m to 2.0m (a significant difference for a layout of this size worth seizing).  The catch: as the layout will rest on two end-to-end IKEA tables (giving 2.0m x 0.6m support) I need to plan for an overhang if I want to keep the 0.8m width (I do - it gives me a bigger minimum radius: 330mm).  So here we go: the familiar sight of my ‘baseboard factory’ in operation once more:

BD168C9B-58F2-41C3-AD7B-C30F94294AEC.jpeg.d24be7788de726f2a0af3a777b29ce64.jpeg

9FBB9E5F-CF07-409B-9ED2-1679D555A593.jpeg.82fee8c7f867a44bcd503e078085bf32.jpeg

Compared to the previous iteration of my plan, the station boards are narrower (saving weight) but I’m only building two boards instead of three, as the open rear board I had before would have a centre of gravity in the overhang area.  A long way to go still, but getting this far has indeed been much quicker.  I did buy two more lengths of 2’ x 1’ as I needed some more longer pieces.

Enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend, Keith.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I like long points.  In my OO days, it was seeing Peco Streamline Long Points in the model shop that led me to rip up the Setrack Layout I’d been happy with at the time (but hadn’t finished) and relay it with the gentle curves of Flextrack and Long / Medium points.  Having ‘accidentally’ acquired some N Gauge German rolling stock recently, I mail ordered a bit of track over the Summer including some long points suitable for 86’ coaches.  While Electrofrog points have a number of advantages, I do still tend to default to the Insulfrog points I grew up with, simply out of habit.  Which is a long was of getting round to a concern about how long the plastic frogs were on these Code 80 points when they arrived:

F17FE64F-4A64-4D6B-AFC0-6D180C7D7C61.jpeg.176a027ac2ded1f654ba589c7ecf87cd.jpeg

Mindful that some Narrow Gauge modellers sometimes incorporate carefully concealed Peco curved and longer points that aren’t available in the 009 / H0e range, I thought it might be useful to share the test I ran with my shortest wheelbase NG loco: my Liliput O&K MV8 0-4-0 diesel.  I’m pleased to say I could only get it to stall at crawl speeds - even at a slow ‘yard speed’ it was fine in repeated passes.  I did note that the flange depth of the plastic frogs isn’t very deep, which might be an issue with older wheelsets.  On the other hand, there was no popping off the track with the smallest wheels I have (Minitrains r-t-r F&C coaches).  I couldn’t get my Kato 11-110 chassied locos to stall at all.

A successful test, I’m happy to report, Keith.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress continues to be slow, although the latest baseboards are nearing completion - hopefully I can complete fitting and assembly before the weather gets too cold and wet:

F1C2FE55-1E04-40AD-B6CA-21FAF111055B.jpeg.46c9a91061745123fcf548b9c5bb4f54.jpeg

03107133-84E9-4E0F-A4CE-E1D250A1FF71.jpeg.d96ebad7db71f53ad826fb3c5bf03436.jpeg

I haven’t tried profiling the rear boards but have used the same frame approach that works on my test circuit layout.  The plan is still for a station at the front (with station building / small goods shed on the wider section) and a single scenic line around the back.  Boards are held in place by three DCC Concepts dowel sets, and three coach bolts - two on the longer protruding batten and one on the shorter (bolts not shown).  Frames are white as they will rest on white-topped IKEA tables.

As for what exactly will go on these boards, I put on a ‘mini-exhibition’ of work-in-progress for the family at the end of the Summer holidays (see Aug 13th post above).  I don’t have a large stash as I’ve been selling before buying, for space and cash flow reasons, but it was still interesting to see all my current projects laid out together.

The good news is that I’m not planning to sell on anything I have at present.  My locomotives and rolling stock are finally reasonably well spread across my different areas of interest, albeit with a noticeable bias towards passenger cars rather than freight traffic.  Reflecting this, even in my small stash I have five station kits waiting my attention: US HO Narrow Gauge, US HO Standard Gauge, German TT (1:120) - started, British TT:120, and German N Gauge!

The exercise has paid off however, as I’ve resisted the temptation to buy another HO Station kit I saw (Swiss). As I don’t have any H0m or TT rolling stock at the moment all my current projects run on 9mm gauge track, which persuaded me not to try yet another scale / gauge combination (I’d like to try Z).  I’m just spending the final bit of store credit I have then I’ll take a break from shopping and decide on what to build next, Keith.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One gap in my H0e stock list highlighted by my ‘mini-exhibition’ over the Summer was the continued absence of any box vans.  Even if my main interest is in passenger traffic, it’s an obvious omission.  I’ve managed to pick this up in ‘as new’ condition:

F304F486-185F-41E7-BD05-FCEE9EF2514E.jpeg.52a5a018fcb5ed5ecb4c9eee71c989c2.jpeg

It is unique to me in that it’s my only piece of H0e rolling stock not from the 009 Society shop, but was reasonably priced by the retailer as it is in perfect condition.  This model is a staple of the Liliput range, and I’ve had a couple before, so I was already aware the door on this side is fixed in the open position (it’s part of the side moulding).  Worth pointing out for anyone looking at these for the first time though: you can’t close the door!

Couplings have been discussed before in this thread (and elsewhere), but with buying everything second hand I’d not previously realised the newer Liliput offerings have slightly slimmer couplers - here in the centre of this photo:

4B504A01-F5F5-4AF5-BC82-EE500FB005E1.jpeg.ee54ae6eb6ab49e6da668198cc23d65e.jpeg

I don’t know when the redesign was done, but having checked the rest of my stock, the newer style is present on those items I have in blue boxes, with the older style in white box items.  They are compatible (which is why I’d not noticed).  The newer style also caters for the semi-permanent links to be inserted between items of stock (on the right here):

D612F44C-696C-4E55-8DC1-DCF20AEA75F4.jpeg.18e3df947bdd338f154f6060c0ec398d.jpeg

This could be particularly useful on an exhibition layout running fixed rakes (my Roco coaches and Ferro-Train items have these apertures too).  Less helpful for shunting, but hopefully worth pointing out on this ‘getting started’ thread.  

I have now have a satisfactory mixed train or even work train I can run - just need to add some loads:

CC46AD54-69DB-41F6-9625-3251CBED8B43.jpeg.51413acc4e9c050e748923b6d6014479.jpeg

Have a good weekend, Keith.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

The 'semi permanent' couplings are Bosna couplings. At one time some of the Roco items used these. Prototypical.

https://flickr.com/photos/61907329@N03/51781087966/in/album-72177720295548205/

Thank you @zarniwhoop - good to know the couplings are (apart from the loops) quite prototypical.  For a fixed rake the loops could be removed of course.  Thanks, Keith.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The final installment in my Summer musings updates.  As trailed previously, we rearranged the room I was using over the Summer.  However, a necessary change to the final arrangement means I lost my planned space again and so I’m now measuring up options in another part of the house.  

WIP - the layout tables are in the background, ready to be moved out.  This room is now a double guest room instead of a single:

EDE082B7-684F-4506-B6D1-A9172ABBA01E.jpeg.8b1c4fd988f2f2e71c17c43691db20b5.jpeg

In other news - Oops!

AC13F0A7-3812-4885-A2A2-5F647E1B910C.jpeg.371dcee5a115756129ecef18ba70ce11.jpeg

I was browsing a store to use up some store credit I had after a sale (and after returning a locomotive I initially invested the credit in but which had faults).  This rather fine Kato N-Scale beast looked to be in mint condition and underpriced.  It caught my eye, and while I know the handrails shouldn’t really be plain red, my experiences with newer Kato N-Scale chassis for Narrow Gauge locomotives* gave me every confidence this could be a superb runner.  It is!

If you didn’t know I was interested in contemporary Canadian Class I railroading, you’ve not missed anything - I didn’t know either! (It’s probably because it’s red)

What does this signify - who knows?  As a result of rationalising and prioritising my current projects over the Summer the total has only gone up by this one 😀, so it could be worse, I guess.  And running this loco in has been the most relaxing thing I’ve ‘had’ to do for a while (it’s geared for slow running).  So it’s a luxury - nice to be able to still afford one, I guess.

Next step is to stop enjoying myself so much and focus (again).  My next post will contain some modelling.  Until then…Keith

*this being the relevant point for inclusion in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Don’t know about everyone else, but for me it’s been the kind of week where the only thing left to do on Saturday afternoon is to simply run a train…

73FA65E9-AD5E-4526-B09C-76FE9C9EC970.jpeg.47e7178f5474c6352f2b96c78536ba53.jpeg

OK, so the ‘modelling’ promised is my imagination filling in all the blanks, and I’m using my N-Scale test circuit as it has a longer run and better end curves (4th Radius 333.4mm) than the CAL mini-layout, but as it takes a full minute for the MV8 to complete a circuit it’s very relaxing and quite soporific - certainly not “tail chasing” at Narrow Gauge speeds.  A good advert for the 009 Society Members’ Shop (all the stock except the Box Van came from there). Have a good weekend, Keith.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modelling time remains elusive, due to other commitments (this is usual at this time of year).  But the railroad’s publicity department managed to stage this photo mid-week, which I share for anyone wondering how HO Narrow Gauge compares to HO Standard Gauge!

744A6DC6-8401-4D73-B4ED-9DFB7944EB67.jpeg.e1539a68ae0ed0b0de15322d41720ca1.jpeg

Have a good weekend everyone, Keith.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s been very quiet in terms of practical modelling recently, so I’ll write up my “state of the nation” review today and wish everyone what I hope can be a Happy Christmas!, before the next two weeks of commitments take us through into the new year.  I began 2022 with high expectations, confident I’d make progress on a Narrow Gauge layout before the year was out.  As it happened, further changes in family life (albeit good ones), plus the surprise launch of a TT:120 as a commercial UK scale mean I’ve got not got far at all.  So, what happened, and what’s next?

I really didn’t think I’d return to standard gauge UK outline modelling any time soon (if at all) after getting so much enjoyment from Continental / US Narrow Gauge, but I was won over by PECO’s TT:120 range, and have a small stash of kits and track ready for a future project:

40C2B3CE-48A2-48F7-A356-C94E808F5228.jpeg.e3c9e6b38f5898aa79d71c9c8a8591fe.jpeg

Over the Summer I spent some time (and budget) trying Continental TT and found it to be just as good as I could have wished.  Standard Gauge modelling is back on my agenda.  I don’t tend to follow the discussions that surround trade announcements, so I was unprepared for the heat generated by Hornby’s big splash entry into TT:120 in a big way.  I’ll admit the fuss has dampened my enthusiasm for the new venture, although it’s encouraging to see the positive feedback the first Hornby sets released are getting.

Changing family requirements mean the attic room I’ve been based in has changed from a single to a double guest room, reducing the space available for modelling and layout building.  Fortunately, the compact CAL layout fits anywhere, but my grand plans for a Furka-Oberalp H0m Glacier Express layout became unviable.  Having rediscovered an interest in Standard Gauge Modelling, I considered trying Z-Scale as the ultimate space saver, but settled on having a first look at German and North American N-Scale instead.  As with Narrow Gauge and TT, I was very impressed with the quality and durability of the Continental offerings, but stepped back after a reality check with North American N - I just can’t see the details on the Micro-Trains Couplers sufficiently well for operating / maintaining a layout (I note US TT modellers often use Micro-Trains N couplers too).

A bi of lateral thinking followed, resulting in me bringing my American HO out of storage, on the basis that using it makes more sense than storing it: even if it needs more space for a layout, I can save space by not storing it (I had no plans to sell any of it).  Having realised that many of my background resources are now some thirty to forty years old (and more), I’ve bought Lance Mindheim’s Book on Layout Design to supplement Thomas Klimoski’s excellent book (both published in 2021).  I’m currently reading Mindheim’s book, and (re)learning a lot:

33C5D160-C134-45BC-9BF5-759CE736EAE4.jpeg.87d8889e8a7e85a2a072a441787d258f.jpeg

So, what’s next:

2023…

Complete my Auhagen Moorbach TT Station (and Signal Box) as examples of TT:120 modelling.

Build my HOn30 Depot and box car kits (x3) to complete the CAL as a mini-layout.

Make progress with an American outline Standard Gauge Layout - I already have plenty of kits for buildings and rolling stock.

And the most likely surprise?

If I had to bet on anything I can certainly seeing me revisiting Swiss Metre Gauge (Bemo) H0m, though I don’t have anything I want to sell to raise funds at the moment.  It’s excellent, and it’s Narrow Gauge.

May I close by wishing everyone a peaceful and, I hope, a Happy Christmas.  Take care, Keith.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

May I wish everyone a peaceful and, I hope, a safe and a Happy New Year.  No-one is suggesting 2023 will be easy of course, but here’s to all the proud resolutions we’ll make promising great progress with our modelling and layout projects over the coming twelve months.  Take care, Keith.

02CF1F44-A172-4B46-9C7F-305B45B5355E.jpeg.a5a036a0d5a8102b5d0293fe77701884.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I didn’t get any practical modelling done at the end of last year, so with a free afternoon I wanted to just build something.  I have a number of laser cut building kits in my stash but have never assembled one, so it seemed a good idea to start with the simplest one - an HO Noch platform:

0E0A8EAF-5369-4006-BB84-6C4F544DF417.jpeg.f579b9e71e6b895916c8729bb6aa6416.jpeg

1DB4082B-BFCE-4E18-8977-39A5CC39D187.jpeg.fa51292c16363f2b0ec094e980d5b3c1.jpeg

First - and most important - thing I learned today is that the laser cutting burn marks get my fingers dirty very easily: looking at the empty bag of parts confirms the components can leave grubby marks (presumably it’s ash?).

In terms of things to note this made the exercise worthwhile in itself:

2025E4A8-E7EA-4CC2-8261-46CEF52A3EFA.jpeg.47f9d359951214dcafd28c77b8330d2a.jpeg

0A2880D6-67A0-4254-A1CB-2FE3C115066A.jpeg.5399ecaf082d9dacf817bff552787920.jpeg

The actual build was straightforward, with the edge detailing the only delicate part.  I found the UHU glue supplied a bit tacky, but I bought the kit second hand so it is probably several years old and may not be typical:

024526D3-3C67-4784-972C-563A8C4048EF.jpeg.b50ae48a4c02b78305a481e7c96e5b3a.jpeg

B1E3E744-1722-475C-A6DF-B046EDC21D4A.jpeg.f0a5f98202d2610ff108caf926bc8ef3.jpeg

Not sure what I’ll use this for (other than practice), but nice to get my hands dirty again - in this case literally!  Have good weekend, Keith.

00B12200-F70D-49DC-8EC4-833451F21FFA.jpeg.01303070114330654c9bbb96b94b411b.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The picture of my two Austrian locomotives above (31st Dec post) set me thinking, as they could be seen side by side - at Zell am See for example.  It gave me an idea…

Another kit in my stash is this set of platforms (four sections):

253C47CA-680C-4A92-8005-B70586E1FDBE.jpeg.bc8bbe14606855b73f1ac2f1c2471897.jpeg

1A44C7B0-7C9C-4953-871F-C4390C4596E9.jpeg.4b850a4097dc4d4aa5947c3c351ec60b.jpeg

I saw it second hand, and as I’ve built the station the kit is designed for, I snapped it up just in case.  (The Station, which has appeared before, has been built for a long-term HO diorama project - “Union Station”):

015643E1-E741-4A25-810B-02AD5A91C248.jpeg.49c0b2943c28f484f817b56659c3e143.jpeg

Back to the platforms.  I tested a section with some rolling stock - at this stage the platform pieces have only been dry-fitted:

50313330-ED7D-452A-BF4A-D364D2465FE0.jpeg.3d74bcffb8a7c1f5fbc02d8ce752cd44.jpeg

The laser cut platform I built a couple of weeks ago turned out to be a bit too high for my H0e coaches.  It’s not clear from the 13th Jan photo, but the carriage steps were below platform height, so that platform might be better for Goods Loading after all.

By way of a contrast, these American ground level platforms are a bit on the low side, particularly for the Standard Gauge coaches, but that could easily be fixed with some more packing below:

6AC1CED9-C398-42FC-AC4C-E9BA199E5641.jpeg.91e3c3e625b4fe2d027445bece888adb.jpeg

23E825AC-C150-4146-8358-9C56B08EE9BB.jpeg.650bf949e042ea0f28b146fa38a8d6b3.jpeg

They are a good length.  Allowing for parallax, at 11” each section is as long as a Roco 1:100 length carriage (the canopy is the same length as the base).  I have enough for a four coach train on the Standard Gauge side if I use these shortie coaches:

C8B2494F-D383-4672-93D9-79C55D554917.jpeg.9325599527037b5f5685494dc763f222.jpeg

It’s just an idea (I continue to have far too many for my own good sometimes), and I’d need a station building to go with the platforms if I use them, as I don’t think the Walthers Union Station could work for me as a European narrow gauge interchange.

I’m no longer trying to focus on just one project or area of interest, as that wasn’t actually getting me any anywhere!  I’ve also been buying second hand stuff for my US HO project, and getting started with a Continental TT:120 kit build as well.  Have a good weekend everyone, Keith.

Clarification / rewording
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With some free time and a Station kit having arrived, I took more ‘proof of concept’ photos for an H0e Narrow Gauge / HO Standard Gauge interchange.  The idea was inspired by Zell am See in Austria (where we honeymooned), though there’d be no attempt to portray it directly (it does serve German DB inter-city trains though).  I loosely dry fitted my platform kit first - 44” long:

92019A43-C934-4932-8062-513FC67F17BB.jpeg.7b5bce4e33aeefaf7d7344a82c95fcfb.jpeg

DFA8FA17-4427-45DE-8334-78A411125173.jpeg.abd7a24f308cd6044a2bf75be6efa127.jpeg

0A2B60DF-3B5B-4052-9B17-73C26C4521B4.jpeg.6fafea491c04b7db8883ec8ab7269c6f.jpeg

46649815-32FB-4B84-AE3B-67031C5F92F2.jpeg.9fb7ab2db26c2cb519e78cd4bf5d7af9.jpeg

The station kit I’ve gone for was chosen with the help of the family - one we all liked: Faller “Burgschwabach.”  393 parts, and which I picked up as a bargain:

24989715-E198-41B1-ABA4-6DC613A812E4.jpeg.8750c62a7dc2ba9d1b6a28cf55b26736.jpeg

1FAA5534-C10B-4A51-9DC5-1BDD8C971D7D.jpeg.3c2624cd7dea43acda9d781ec1f72fc2.jpeg

(The two IKEA tables are each 1.0m x 0.6m, for reference).  I was intrigued by the choice of alternative place names included in the kit:

8C346CA2-F4EE-4CDB-9AD7-5E32D5139FFD.jpeg.ded55c327ae9fa1f14363da0d44fa810.jpeg

Not sure who chose Peterborough?  Checking the others, it turns out that although Burgschwabach is a freelance name (I think), the kit is closely based on Ostermundigen in Switzerland, a standard gauge station a few kilometres north east of Bern.

It’s larger than a typical model used on many Narrow Gauge layouts, with a footprint of 360mm x 236mm, and doesn’t include the traditional goods shed extension found at many European and North American stations and depots:

455F5595-21F0-4D85-8AD2-719F0FD46312.jpeg.84d12558c5ad7f010597f7ded678a977.jpeg

F69F1263-1886-4145-8EFA-424E73FF6EAB.jpeg.d4600a1d42828ee6d0a3b9926b92a8d2.jpeg

So, perhaps not a conventional proposal for a beginner’s narrow gauge layout, but one I’ll be exploring as I build the kit.  Take care, Keith.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Is there an opportunity here for some dual-gauge track?

Good point, thank you - something I’d not thought of.  I wouldn’t expect dual gauge track on a modern standard gauge main line, but on the Pinzgauer Lokalbahn (for example) there is some between Zell am See and the depot at Thischleurhäusl, giving access to the exchange sidings.  Having a transfer facility and / or standard gauge wagons on narrow gauge transporters also becomes an option if I go down this route - on my existing CAL mini-layout I think they’d just look too big.

Building Ostermundigen

Having identified the station kit I’ve got as based on Ostermundigen in Switzerland has given me access to prototype photos. As might be expected with a Swiss building, it looks very clean and only light weathering will be needed in places (helpful).  

The pre-coloured parts of this kit give a very good representation of the real building, but in my experience unpainted plastic can look rather too much like unpainted plastic, so I want to paint at least some parts.  On a smaller German TT station I’ve been building, painting the platform and weathering the roof and some of the stonework has been sufficient for me:

spacer.png

(Picture borrowed from my TT Moorbach thread).  

I’m thinking this larger scale kit will need more attention.  I’d not found many pictures of the kit when searching for ‘Faller Burgschwabach’ but I’ve realised it was previously released using the real name of Ostermundigen (which I think translates as ‘Easter mouthed’ - fine for me). There are photos of the earlier version online, which will again be useful.

The most important thing however - as always - is to actually get started!  As I’m not working this week, I’ve given the platform, awning, and a couple of related parts a first coat of paint, just to get going (after all, this is going to take a while):

7C7918D3-DC61-4C7E-A46F-061567A5A8BC.jpeg.0f78bea17dd8a3e4a644ea6c262d32f6.jpeg

I won’t post an update every time I add a coat of paint (Chorus of: Please don’t!”), but given my track record of having lots more ideas than output, and with a good-sized stash of American HO kits waiting to be built too, this first step is - for me - both significant and exciting.

Am I still a ‘beginner’?

I was asked this on my parallel thread on the NGRM Online Forum a bit ago.  It’s fair enough - I wouldn’t recommend a 400 piece kit to someone else just getting started, so is my thread title now mis-leading?  I should explain I gave myself four targets so to properly get started in Narrow Gauge modelling:

• Build a scenic layout - the CAL is almost complete.  I just have a small whitemetal Depot kit to make to complete this.
  • Kit build some rolling stock - I’ve done a couple of resin locos with Kato chassis, plus Dundas and 009 Society kits.
  • Scratchbuild some rolling stock - done in 2021 when lockdowns meant I had more time (I’d already done a building)
  • Kitbash some rolling stock - not yet done: my final target.  It is a key skill in a lot of narrow gauge modelling though.

I don’t plan to scratchbuild locos, so that’s not a target for me.  I may well tackle my whitemetal depot kit while also building Ostermundigen - something to do while the paint dries.  Take care and have fun, Keith.

Edit: additional time today meant I could also start on my small Flag Stop kit for the CAL as well:

FE9F6A2B-743E-42DE-9774-59F1FCC41DBA.jpeg.738fb212f817a6f17a18eb387c0cff4d.jpeg

DB372347-C1D3-4725-8E78-A5C6763955D0.jpeg.364541e709e6f71cc57d096b63833530.jpeg

I’m using superglue for this (recommended in the instructions).  The roof is only loose fitted at this point.

Additional photos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had some more time to spend on my station builds:

First, for those following this broadcast in HOn30 - Pagosa Junction:

This is proving to be a delightful little kit to build.  I’ve put the passenger station / agent’s office together first, with the canopied platform and freight loads to follow next (passenger Sam is not included, he just turns up here and there):

913AEB85-7203-4EB5-BA58-5FEB167DC92C.jpeg.d848f3f71cc9354bc4a9d7a29a2927f7.jpeg

Two different names are suggested.  I like the ease of using the waterslide decals supplied, so I’m going with Pagosa Jct - the CAL as modelled is a self-contained freelance mini-layout, so needs an imaginary junction to connect to the world beyond.

With cast parts responding well to superglue, assembly seems to be the easier part of this build: the challenge is painting.  I’m no artist, so like to paint parts individually first to avoid paint overruns.  This isn’t possible here, and with an impressive amount of cast detail to pick out my magnifying glass and a 00 brush have come into play:

083EEF03-6556-4A0B-8957-E71A3B1257A6.jpeg.85dfa693c5f27abe5de9d1c79dd9aa24.jpeg

The livery is based on the Santa Fe colour scheme for rural depots.  That has meant painting the window frames in white, with the rest of the framework in green.  The promotional photo Woodland Scenics use to advertise the kit shows both in blue - which would have made the job quite a bit easier.

As always the close-up highlight areas needing more attention - such as the underside of the Depot roof.

8805C36E-6B9E-4108-99E1-983B8F9C36BE.jpeg.88abd991434b7ff2005d7953e71851bb.jpeg

The kit comes with a standard plastic glazing sheet, but I’m thinking I’ll try Glue ‘n’ Glaze instead, perhaps being more suited to the quirky nature of this model (and with the cast window frames not being entirely flat).

As with other station kits I’ve built, I’ve lightly weathered the roof by applying a simple wash of darker grey and white spirits once the red coat had been left to dry overnight - the photo shows the right hand side done, the left still to do:

C543DA7E-5BB0-4C6D-B76B-E45AC1ABF5BF.jpeg.92bfba8af9029c3ef34debabfd9cfb2f.jpeg

I’m very happy with this so far - whitemetal isn’t a material I’ve used before, but seems to be an ideal choice for this kit.

And for those watching in H0e - building Ostermundigen:

Moving to the other end of the scale, painting has also been the main task so far with this Faller kit too.  The platform needed three coats of grey before I was satisfied - prompting me to ensure I bought some spray paint for the separate Walthers platform kit I’ll also be doing.  The cameras weren’t actually on hand to witness the very first part of the build - cutting a hole in the platform to fit the subway staircase, but returned with Sam when he came to inspect it:

785BFDE8-1927-4BD8-8B49-F59561A16DF3.jpeg.5cac168b0944c2179c0687f7f3c5b699.jpeg

Before fitting, I compared the width of the stairway with that in the platform kit, as the steps here seem a bit narrow.  They’re actually a bit wider than those for the island platform, so I’ll go with them.  The inclusion of subway steps and an awning were key factors for me in choosing this particular station kit to build, as I already had the platforms I wanted to match.

One reason for the high parts count with this kit comes from the three piece construction of each wall section.  The key piece is a grey middle section, and painting the visible part gave me the opportunity to pick out the window sills in white:

DA78877F-DD4B-4F2F-9A02-ABC5BFC3EBE5.jpeg.fde99d5a06f79ec33f9f8e735e67da77.jpeg

In photos of the prototype Ostermundigen station these grey parts looks very clean, so I’ve not pre-weathered them (it is a Swiss station, after all).  The lower part to be glued to each wall part comes in white plastic, and these are grubbier in the photos.  I tried dry brushing them, but was finding it hard to be light enough with my touch, so added a thin wash instead:

BBDEB03B-D01B-4E11-92D2-B0ABBCF75CBD.jpeg.490a9fc673bc1aff81dda7ec13e73c8f.jpeg

I’ve deliberately not gone for a uniform look across all pieces.

The upper section is molded in an accurate sandy yellow.  I’ve painted mine to be a bit darker.  I don’t keep a large range of paint colours ‘in stock’ and this is the closest I have: Humbrol Enamel No. 63 (which I’ve previously used for GWR light stone):

F6088347-742B-4938-9A31-FF5BA563D222.jpeg.00c108fdc35c776485ec65502ef87e02.jpeg

The photo makes these parts look a bit darker than they actually are.  My paint had solidified, so took a bit of white spirit and a lot of stirring to be ready to use.  As a result, the texture of the paint was a bit gritty - perfect for what looks like a rendered finish in the photos.

I don’t plan to paint all the window frames - I learned a while back that the effort involved, when combined with my painting non-skills, too often resulted in a time-consuming gobby mess.  With the windows in this model being quite well set back, I’m hoping I can leave them as plain white.  There are also nine doors, and photos show them painted in a plain light grey (maybe a blue-grey, but I’m a bit colour blind and can’t tell).  It seemed a shame not to highlight the door panels though, so I’ve painted them, using the Humbrol #9 Gloss I bought a while back to approximate GWR dark stone.  Three sprues of window frames and doors are provided - to get enough windows - so I marked the doors I’ll use and just painted them:

14535E16-DEEC-49BD-8358-024DE68EF52B.jpeg.da4f7df22d047b1d8809deedbc5caf9c.jpeg

There’ll be some tidying up to do where I’ve overrun, which I’ll tackle when the paint has fully dried.  It’s taken three coats to get the finish I wanted, but in close up I think I can be satisfied:

34AAA394-85DC-40AB-BD65-37CE6AC15D3C.jpeg.637aa80414e8072b80eaf793d2fd4006.jpeg 

(You can also see how and why Sam sticks around!).  For anyone thinking this kit is a bit of a job to tackle, hopefully the photos show that it can be broken down into separate steps quite easily, none of which then require any great skill - the main thing is to leave plenty of drying time between coats of paint (ie: at least overnight).  Have a good week, Keith.   

• Like 2