Lenz Rs bus / Ldt rs-8

Evening all, 

I've been trying to set up a pair of ldt rs 8. I've read through several forums on here and been poking about with a multimeter and cannot see for the life of me why it isnt working. 

I've tried setting up both on and off the layout (no track yet anyway) . And I've tested and checked all of the wires several times. 

I can get the board into programing mode and the led stops flashing when sent an address however it won't read back in od mode. 

The rs bus is connected properly but I can't make out if it is actually working. Should I be able to detect any voltage or current across it?  My current theory is the rs bus is broken on the lzv 100. 

16198920692333547880298423931489.jpg.2e27c7b0565ea6b5d9e92dc14aee7f6e.jpg

2 minutes ago, RFS said:

A couple of thoughts: are the R and S wires the correct way round? Also what address are you setting for the RS8?

Hi there,

yep R to R and S to S.   I've been setting random adresses between about 65 and 100 just seeing if anything works. I understand the address needs to be above 65 so as not to conflict with point adresses.

Edited by Horsehay Railway Modeller

• RMweb Gold

What are you using to read the RS 8?   An LH100 or computer or something else?

The LH100, for example, doesn’t show anything unless that particular circuit is drawing current.  Which leads to....

If you have no track how are you simulating the presence of a loco on one of the circuits?

Evening,

Im using an LH100 at the moment but will be using a PC and rocrail soon.

The manual recommends using a resistor to simulate current draw across the terminals. no luck there.

when in od mode the adress does not show the small b in the corner and instead lits the adress with a - . apparently this is a sign that the rs bus is not connected. am i right in understanding the led should also iluminate when a block is occupied. at the moment it isnt.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

Hi there,

yep R to R and S to S.   I've been setting random adresses between about 65 and 100 just seeing if anything works. I understand the address needs to be above 65 so as not to conflict with point adresses.

It is an LZV100 and not an LZV200? The latter has had problems addressing RS8s which required a fix from Lenz. The only other thing I could think of is swapping the J and K wires at the LZV100 as I've heard this can be an issue. I have an LZV200 for train driving, with an LZV100 for occupancy detection (9 RS8s) and turnout operation. 

1 minute ago, BoD said:

What are you using to read the RS 8?   An LH100 or computer or something else?

The LH100, for example, doesn’t show anything unless that particular circuit is drawing current.  Which leads to....

If you have no track how are you simulating the presence of a loco on one of the circuits?

The OD display will confirm the presence of the RS8 even though there's no current being drawn. The RS8 will simply be saying no blocks occupied. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

When in od mode the address does not show the small b in the corner and instead lits the address with a - . apparently this is a sign that the rs bus is not connected. am i right in understanding the led should also illuminate when a block is occupied. at the moment it isn't.

The "b" indicates the RS8 is live and recognized even if no blocks are occupied. The "a -" means either the RS bus is not live, or that the address entered does not exist. Just checked this on my system.

The LED on the RS8 is just for setup and does not come on when a block is allocated. 

3 minutes ago, RFS said:

The "b" indicates the RS8 is live and recognized even if no blocks are occupied. The "a -" means either the RS bus is not live, or that the address entered does not exist. Just checked this on my system.

The LED on the RS8 is just for setup and does not come on when a block is allocated. 

okay, thanks for that . is there any way to check if the rs bus is live? or even turn it on or off?

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

okay, thanks for that . is there any way to check if the rs bus is live? or even turn it on or off?

Don't know if there's any way of either turning off the RS bus or checking it. My next thought would be to double-check the RS wires are securely in the Lenz plug and have not somehow become crimped. 

14 minutes ago, RFS said:

double-check the RS wires are securely in the Lenz plug and have not somehow become crimped. 

No luck. I've just swapped the green terminal block for another one and checked the continuity of the wire. Ive also attatched a bit of track to the rs8 and dropped on my class122 with all its lights on. nothing showing up on the handset still.

• RMweb Gold

Well I can only conclude it might be the LZV100 that is the problem. You could try contacting A and H Models who are the UK agent for Lenz. Does the problem occur with both RS8s and with only one connected?

9 minutes ago, RFS said:

Well I can only conclude it might be the LZV100 that is the problem. You could try contacting A and H Models who are the UK agent for Lenz. Does the problem occur with both RS8s and with only one connected?

That was my worry. a and h will be my next port of call if I cant get anything sorted. so far no luck with two rs8 boards and one rs16 so it appears the lzv 100 may be at fault.

• RMweb Gold

One final suggestion - perhaps try a full factory reset of the LZV100?  This is done by selecting loco address 00 and then pressing the F4 key 25 times, after which you power-cycle the LZV100 (ie via removing the power not by hitting ST). And is your LZV100 at level 3.6?